Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricaster Timed Recording

Tricaster Timed Recording

I have a need that I would like to be able to use a Tricaster with ISO recording. Not sure if there is any way to do it since I have not seen any software that would allow it. Is there any software available that anyone knows about that would allow timed recording. For example, I would like to have 2 or 3 inputs going in and be able to program the times that I want it to record from each input. I would then need to scan and edit those files, which would be the easy part.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5
    Cameras: Sony NX5U
    Cabling: SDI

Since it's maybe not possible with a Tricaster as of right now, anyone know of any other equipment that could do this without costing a fortune? I could them maybe move the files over to the editing system. Sounds like this would be a great app for someone to develop.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

I'd check with Dhomas Trenn on this at YoungMonkey. He has a scheduler for the older TriCasters. I'm not sure if it works on the newer systems. http://www.youngmonkey.ca
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

At present, TriCaster's internal recorders do not start and stop independently. So starting one at a different time while the first is still running is not possible. However, depending on the length of the sessions, you might simply record all channels, and trim them to suit later.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks for the info. I think if I could just program it to record all channels at certain times that would work. The sessions would only be about 30 minutes and no more than 2 video inputs per session. Just need a way to tell it when to record.

Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

I've come up with a method to do this using Window's Task Scheduler running on a separate computer to trigger the start/stop on TriCaster. For this to work your TriCaster has to be a Mini, 410, 460, 860 or 8000 running Rev 2-4 or Advanced Edition software.

Here are instructions in a PDF: https://onedrive.live.com/download.a...xcDVnttXg4%3D7

Here is the 'zip' file referenced in the PDF: https://onedrive.live.com/download.a...qpopk5%2Fo%3D2
    It is very important that this zip file is extracted into a folder named 'TCSchedule' that is located on the C: drive. My batch files are hard coded to look in this location for information, it will not work if placed somewhere else.

The above scripts that I wrote use a program called 'curl' (executable included in the zip), if you want more information on curl, the website is: http://curl.haxx.se/
    Last edited by kanep; 05-31-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane for figuring this out. Someone else may have a need for this. Just a couple more questions. I'm guessing that the external computer would connect to the Tricaster using the ethernet connection and a crossover cable. Is that right? I wouldn't really need the Tricaster on our main network. Also, I believe I would have to embed the audio into the SDI inputs in order to have the separate audio for each of the ISO files. Now I just need to get a 410 Tricaster to stay in next year's budget. Thanks for all of your help.

Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

A crossover cable would work, just setup an static IP for each system.

For audio, it would be a matter of making sure that the correct audio settings are configured for each input. The above workflow will only trigger recording on and off, what it records is all dependent on what you already have setup in the system.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I would just configure it so that it would record from 2 of the inputs. There may be a couple of times that only one of the ISO record files would be needed, but I could just delete the other one. I have a Tricaster 460 at home, so when I get a chance I'm going to try this out. I can use my camera SDI out as one input and it will have audio embedded, I think and just use a tape machine for another video only input for testing.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

Sounds right, let me know how it works out.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Well if that ain't the neatest thing I've seen all day. Thanks Kane!
    Operations Manager, WBUP/WBKP
    TC 8000 AE

I was just thinking about this and something else I could do is make a batch file that you let you trigger a macro you want on the system. That way instead of being limited to starting and stopping recording, you could make macros for what you wanted to do (like start/stop streaming, start streaming AND recording or play clips on a schedule), then trigger them with your own macro trigger names.

Not that I would want to use Windows Task Scheduler instead of an application more appropriately designed for this purpose but acceptable for occasional use.

Let me know if you think this would be useful, perhaps I'll try to write this all up into a white paper that can be added to the Kane's World site or maybe it will make it as an article on the NewTek Tip Jar!
    Last edited by kanep; 06-02-2015 at 06:53 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I don't think I would need the extra capabilities, but there may be someone out there that would want the extra features.

Thanks,
    Marty
    Common Gear Used:
    Tricaster TCXD460
    VT5

Just throwing this out there. What are the odds of messing up the Tricaster if someone were to put this on the Tricaster itself? It works great as it is. Just curious. I have it set to start and stop recordings multiple times per day to coincide with our newscasts. Works like a charm!
    Operations Manager, WBUP/WBKP
    TC 8000 AE

Quote Originally Posted by kennb View Post
    Just throwing this out there. What are the odds of messing up the Tricaster if someone were to put this on the Tricaster itself? It works great as it is. Just curious. I have it set to start and stop recordings multiple times per day to coincide with our newscasts. Works like a charm!
    I can't recommend using Task Scheduler on the TriCaster itself. Not saying it won't work, but typically we don't want to be running things on the background of the TriCaster.

That being said, I doubt the overhead of running what is basically one command (curl with the http parameters to trigger record functions) probably isn't going to cause problems. I would think that interface wise, this is less than ideal, you have to exit all the way out of TriCaster to the desktop to make changes, might not be good if you are in the middle of production and then realize a change has to be made.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast