Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 850 Browser update?

850 Browser update?

Is it possible to update the internal browser on a Tricaster 850. We have recently gone to youtube for live broadcasts and the site says that our browser will soon no longer be supported. On the same note...can we switch internal browsers, say to Chrome rather than the IE?

Installing a new browser in Windows will not make TriCaster use it. All you will end up with is an warning message that additional software has been installed on the TriCaster everytime it starts up.

The browser shouldn't matter when it comes to streaming. You can get the Location and Stream ID from another system, enter them into the streaming panel and click the stream button.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Video Producer, So Calif.
    I'm with the OP on allowing us to "point" the TC browser to a new system exe program file for browsers. This would allow for updating the browser even after an orphaned model (TCXD300?) stops being updated by NewTek and the browser really becomes old and defunct. It would - in theory - allow us to run more efficient browsers like Chrome instead of the native IE version.
    www.TakeOneDigital.com
    Live webcasting from concept to broadcast * OC/LA/San Diego and Nationwide
    TC's: 300, 455, 460, Mini
    Cams: Sony PXW-X200, Pany HE-120 PTZ
    Cxns: HD-SDI over coax and fiber

I realize that this is a REALLY old thread, but we are still limping along with our 850. Has anyone come up with a way to upgrade or change the default browser?
    Mike Brooks
    Physics Teacher and Technical Director
    SETV - Southeast High School

TriCaster: 40, 850 + 3Play 425
    Cameras: Canon XA-10
    Cable Solution: Atomos hdmi-sdi convertors

Quote Originally Posted by MBrooks View Post
    still limping along with our 850.
    I don't think limping along is the right term here, you should expect to limp along with video equipment that has 10+ years of use. Barely 5 years should be completed expected and supported.

I am VERY disappointed in how NewTek has essentially abandoned video production equipment that is just a handful of years old. June, 2014 was the last time NewTek provided updated software for a product I bought brand new in July, 2012. That is sad and scary. That reason right there is why I'm having a hard time getting the bosses to purchase more NewTek equipment.

Do buyers of their newest product realize in less than 2 years NewTek can suddenly stop providing any updates?
    Last edited by fonze; 07-25-2016 at 03:43 PM.
    Tom F
    Academic Webstreamer, now with the TC1

The TriCaster 850 was released in 2010, with the last software update being released in 2014, which was 4 years of *free* software updates and enhancements for this model. There was the option to do a paid upgrade to turn the system into a TriCaster 855, which would get you additional features and updates thru 2015. I understand you purchased in 2012, two years into this model being available, but overall it was supported for more than two years.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I'm not sure what product you're referring to, but we typically provide bugfixes as required even for products that are no longer current for quite some time.

For example, there is a TCXD300 update dated the middle of 2014. That's 4 years and many updates after the product shipped, and I daresay if some serious bug popped up tomorrow that prevented it from being used in a manner consistent with that expected behavior when it was first shipped, it would likely be addressed. Basically, bugfixes tend to trail off naturally when a product is mature and stable. Free updates have often, though not always, even included new functionality (if your experience varies from that in any significant measure, feel free to email me details, preferably with the Fogbugz case number for the unaddressed bug.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Video Producer, So Calif.
    Ongoing updates or not, I'm with OP and others that we should have some sort of tool to allow another browser to be launched from within the console. Even with a red box warning, we should be able to continue to update the browser that the TC uses or point (gasp) to something like Chrome or Firefox instead of IE. Please? It would be a big help.
    www.TakeOneDigital.com
    Live webcasting from concept to broadcast * OC/LA/San Diego and Nationwide
    TC's: 300, 455, 460, Mini
    Cams: Sony PXW-X200, Pany HE-120 PTZ
    Cxns: HD-SDI over coax and fiber

Quote Originally Posted by TakeOneDigital View Post
    ... we should be able to continue to update the browser that the TC uses or point (gasp) to something like Chrome or Firefox instead of IE. Please? It would be a big help.
    I'll try to remember to inquire about an update, but I really wonder why this is seen as necessary. TriCaster is a video production device with native streaming capabilities. It is not marketed as a web browsing device (there is no shortage of the latter in most environments). The embedded browser is supplied merely as a convenience for configuring streaming accounts. (As far as I am aware, it continues to serve that purpose capably - if not, it would be good to have details).

From time to time, the browsers in various products have been updated, but I'm not clear how this is an impediment to streaming. Have you tried Kane's suggestion, posted earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    The browser shouldn't matter when it comes to streaming. You can get the Location and Stream ID from another system, enter them into the streaming panel and click the stream button.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I believe what they are talking about is that some CDNs will report that your browser in the streaming panel is old and needs to be updated when to try to navigate to their site. I'm not sure if that actually prevents you from using the site.

I pretty much never use the streaming panel browser, I always configure on an external laptop and use that to monitor the stream. I personally discourage people from using the browser on the TriCaster to do this, not that it can't work, but I think workflow is better to configure/monitor the stream on a second system. I did write a tool called StreamID that works with TCAE to make it easy to transfer information from an external system to the TriCaster. Yes, I understand that StreamID does use the web browser on the TriCaster, so I guess I do use it a little bit.
    Last edited by kanep; 07-26-2016 at 12:20 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I made some inquiries about this this morning, and am told that - while no full blown TriCaster update has been prepared - it is possible to manually update the browser on a 450/850 to a particular variant of IE 10. Since the link to this is not obvious on Microsoft's download site, I'll add it below. Beyond this version, I'm told that IE 11 will probably result in problems for those few who use the 'web based' streaming method, but might otherwise be ok.

Here's the link: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...-x64-en-us.exe
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Thanks Steve. I will try it in a few days when we get back to school. Kane, we use it only to test the stream and initial health. We can monitor with our cell phones. But testing is like a pre-flight. I would rather know I have a problem hours before takeoff rather than on the runway when the proverbial @#$% hits the fan.
    Mike Brooks

I just posted a similar question in the 850 forum. I too have an 850 that I just re purposed and I know that the browser is outdated. While upgrading my 460s to AE2 the upgrade caught that the browser was old and advised to update to IE11. IE11 won't update on the 850 due to the fact that it is not running Win 7SP1. So I will try the IE 10 download that you provided, thank you. My question was whether or not it would be safe to update Win7 to SP1 without messing up the TC install. I am assuming that it shouldn't be done. As for using the browser built in to the TC, although it is better to use a separate computer to check streams, that is not always practical depending on location, event and personnel. I have had our 850 almost 6 years now. But I can't justify getting rid of equipment that works and still works well. So Newtek should think about things like browsers and how to keep them secure and updated. We just got an 8000 and I'm worried about what may happen in 2020 when Win 7 support ends and my IT department wants to take all Win 7 machines off the network like they did with XP. I would hope that my new 8000 is still working well in 4 years. Anyway thank you for the link for a useable IE 10 for the 850.

Just a quick update. I tried using the IE 10 download from the link above and I get the same message that my Win7 needs to be updated to SP1. It's not the end of the world but it would be nice to have a more secure browser on the system to keep my IT department happy.

I received the same message trying to install the browser update to IE10...SP1 is required. Can we install the windows service pack without problems to the 850 functionality?
    Mike Brooks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast