Thread: Rebel Hill Facial Rig

Rebel Hill Facial Rig

OK, a couple of questions. I've been working through the Rebel Hill Animation tutorials. They're very good. I'm working on his facial animation one right now and really like the set up. I was wondering if there is a way to save and load that rig. I remember setting his facial rig up when I worked through his rigging tutorials. But I don't want to have to set it up every time I need one for a character. Is there a way to save/export it? And then bring it in for another character? The naming and morphs would have to be the same. But having to set up the joysticks and controllers each and every time seems like a major amount of redundant work. Am I missing something? Or is it brute force and do it again every time you need a facial rig like that? Thanks all.

Paul Goodrich

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    If you create the same set of morphs, with the same naming on another mesh, you can bring it into the face rig scene, and copy/paste the morph mixer from one to the other.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

OK, that works, thanks. 2 more questions.
    1. How would I do this for 2 characters? Same as one and then rename the morphs or the controllers?
    2. Let me walk through how I'm doing this animation and my problem. I'm using the RH face rig and posing the face 1 frame at a time. 1rst frame-pose 1. Frame 2-pose 2, etc. So far so good. Now I want to move these poses and set the timing (I'm using stepped keys.) from pose to pose. I've tried keying all on each frame and using the dope sheet. It doesn't seem to work as some things move and others don't. I'm guessing it's because I'm unable to actually select everything due to controllers and bones and objects are all controlling the face. How could you be able to slide these keys with everything around to test timing? Would you use the pose save in your toolbox? Thanks much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pose save error.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	127902Well, the animation toolbox idea didn't work. although that might be pilot error on my part. I tried saving poses and got an error message. I can kinda work around this by keying all and then placing a key where I want it. Then middle clicking everything on the face and the controllers and deleting the old key. What I really want to be able to do is the idea of the dope sheet. Being able to move these poses in full to whatever frame I want to. This way I can adjust and set the timing before doing the curves and detail work. This is easy with 1 item but seem to be not possible with the full face rig. Am I missing something? Doing something wrong? Any ideas? Thanks again.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    If you want to be able to have multiple characters using the same setup, you need to isolate all the control and expression names for them. Setup each separately, open the scene file in a text editor and use the replace function to change all instances of the character namespace.

Also, if you're trying to move sections of keys for nulls and bones together, you can do it in either the NSE dopesheet, or graph editor.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Recently a question like this came up on a facebook group, and I did an experiment. It IS possible to create a node network in the displacement tab that can link controller nulls set up in rebil hill's method WITHOUT using expresions at all. It involves using the compound node to create a 'node' that takes a position and converts it into an 0-100 value based on x positive, x-negative, etc. I clamp the values in the compound node. In practice, you have a system where you put in an item info node for your control, pipe the position into the compound. Then you select add a morph map node, set it to the right map, and pipe in the controlling value from the counpound node into it. All your morph maps are added together, and piped into displacement. Works ok for me. That would give you a chance to make the whole mess ONE node import, and then select the proper items and morph maps to fit. The set of frames could be saved as a scene, then loaded into a scene to make the rig.

Thanks for the info, Albert. It sounds brilliant though complex. Any chance you could post a node diagram illustrating your technique (I'm a visual learner).
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by bobakabob View Post
    Thanks for the info, Albert. It sounds brilliant though complex. Any chance you could post a node diagram illustrating your technique (I'm a visual learner).
    +100

There is one little problem driving morphs with nodes... They don't interactively update in layout. You have to turn on Studio live for everything to update properly in layout, or employ a dirty, sneaky hack (like a follower plugin that does nothing)(Add a Follower to your main mesh for every controller... and set everything to None.)

Hopefully, this issue will be fixed in LW Next/2016/Whatever.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Link to Community/ threads on Craig's Fine New Facial Rig in March2016

entitled: New-RH-Face-Rigging-Masterclass-Coming-Soon

Also nodial see:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ18...JwilNj&index=6