Thread: Point order in modeler

Point order in modeler

Will modeler always preserve the point order if I load an object, make changes to surfaces, weight maps or anything like that without actually changing the geomtry, and then save it back out again ? it looks like it is working but I am nor sure if it was just luck, just so it will not go bonkers on me when I try to use an MDD file created for the original object.

magiclight, you can always transfer the maps from the object you have now to the one which the MDD is working fine. There are several plugins.
    For weights and morphs there's Mike Green's drain backgroung plugin and for uvs there's nitisara copy and paste uvs (topology must match, rung BGConform to iron any differences)

Cheers

TrueArt Support
    Point order will change when you will start adding and removing geometry.

Point order won't change if you will modify weight maps, modify point positions (Modify tab).

Ok, thanks, I just need to add some weight maps to imported .obj files so it should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by magiclight View Post
    Ok, thanks, I just need to add some weight maps to imported .obj files so it should be ok.
    Note that OBJ importer/exporter can arbitrarily change point order during load/save, depending on options. Also, some of us have encountered/reported that it occasionally does so in LW11.x/2015.x despite using settings that should keep point order intact. Searching "OBJ point order" used to find the thread here.

If using LW11.x/2015.x I'd recommend checking exported OBJ file against input file before use, to ensure point order hasn't changed.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Ok, thanks, I will keep an eye on it.