Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sob! SPEED EDIT BEING DISCONTINUED?!?

No.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by lcress View Post
    As a LW user I can vouch for HF 3. For the money its well worth it.

Its the compositor that NT never had. Very nice particle system, and motion tracking to boot. For those migrating to Vegas, HF integrates as a plugin on the timeline. (though not being a Vegas user, I only report this second hand from the many Vegas users on the HF list that say the integration works well.) HF also includes a rudimentary editor.

FYI, HF relies almost entirely on GPU, so you'll need a wicked graphics card to get full use out of it, especially at higher resolutions. With plenty of power, however, previews of effect stacks are nearly real time. I'm seriously considering building a new system just to be more productive with it.
    HitFilm is definitely getting there, i did get Vegas not too long ago, but really didn't like how it dealt with having to move images around in a separate window, HitFilm is more logic, kinda like After Effects "Light"
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Multimedia Magician
    This is a bummer. I absolutely love Speed Edit 2. I've been with Newtek since the original Video Toaster. Their stuff has always found a home on my systems. I will continue to use Speed Edit 2 as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    HitFilm is definitely getting there, i did get Vegas not too long ago, but really didn't like how it dealt with having to move images around in a separate window, HitFilm is more logic, kinda like After Effects "Light"
    Yeah, I could never warm up to Vegas either. SE was just so much smoother for editing.

I still edit circles around all the other editors in our office using SE.

Every new young recruit that comes through (having been previously fed a steady diet of FCP and AP) always says "dang, that is a really good editing software".
    VT5 & LW 11.6 Abuser
    Core i7
    GeForce GT 540M
    Lots of RAM
    Certified CRT Fossil User

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Catt View Post
    I still edit circles around all the other editors in our office using SE.

Every new young recruit that comes through (having been previously fed a steady diet of FCP and AP) always says "dang, that is a really good editing software".
    Then I would bet that those people don't know how to use their editing software very well. I've used Speededit and Vegas. Both are VERY capable. Due to the lack of development on SE, I've moved completely over to Vegas Pro - excellent software and VERY capable.
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

Maybe its time to take another look at Vegas. Sounds like its improved quite a bit since I looked it several years ago.

What about Lightworks? Anybody votes for it?

I've moved over to Vegas as well. I tried Lightworks but found it too complicated for what I needed to do. I think SE still runs circles around both pieces of software.

There's also the free version of Black Magic's Davinci Resolve. I'll be taking a look at that one of these days soon sin I already use Fusion.
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

It's great especially for color correction.

I've moved on to Final Cut Pro X. It's a steal at 299.00

http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/

Crap. Had something big happen in my life this year and have been majorly distracted -- only returning to lovely SpeedEdit and this not so lovely news now, months afterward. I wish I knew about the special deal to buy an additional license at the lower price, because I would have picked up a second one for sure. As it is, I need to call support in a few days and see if I can transfer my existing license to a different PC. Hope they will still do that.

A shame. A real shame. Saw Tim Jenison at the Amiga 30th anniversary event at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, Calif., a couple of weeks ago. No, he does not know me. But I surely wish I had gone up to him and put a bug in his ear about loving SE. I bought it even when the price was way out of wack high as compared to the modern competition, and I just adore how it works. Willing to keep a Win7 PC build going indefinitely just to keep using it.

Do wish NewTek would cater just a bit, just a token little bit, to the small guy who helped build the company by buying NewTek products from the earliest of days.

Ya it was a great program. Still use in on my Tricaster 860 but it is a pain to render out files since the HD codecs are so limited
    and some are even bogus. Figuring out a work flow takes a lot of time.
    Also the effects are SD and that is too bad too. It has been obvious for a long time that they stopped working on it.... which is a waste.
    If they had not made the price so high it would have been a very popular program.
    Newtek products were always a lot of bang for the buck.... but they seemed to have forgotten this when they priced out SE.
    ANd at the same time be unwilling to make it a program that could render in meaningful useful codecs.
    I still use it for a lot of audio editing.
    Toasting since 1990
    Tricaster 855 Owner

Alright.. It's been a year.. Who's still using SpeedEDIT from this thread?
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    CRO - Chief Relationship Officer
    [email protected]
    http://www.newtek.com

Follow NewTek on Twitter!
    @PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

I still use it all the time because it's so much better than two other editors (Vegas, Resolve) I have on my workstation.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast