Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sob! SPEED EDIT BEING DISCONTINUED?!?

I too have gotten used to Sony Vegas since I got it free with my camcorder purchase. I still prefer SE because it's easy to use (certainly much easier than Vegas), fast, and powerful. It is a shame that NewTek has the best editor on the market and decides to shelve it. It's also a shame that NewTek has chosen to forget about users like me who have been with NewTek since the digi-view days and who have and continue to be independent media producers with little if any interest in or need for multi-camera production. This is a sad day indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by dweinkauf View Post
    This is a sad day indeed.
    Yep, I already ended it all, Dweinkauf. Wanna borrow my gun?

No need for a gun. I'll just string up a couple of cables from my Video Toaster and end it that way.

It's also a shame that NewTek has chosen to forget about users like me who have been with NewTek since the digi-view days and who have and continue to be independent media producers with little if any interest in or need for multi-camera production. This is a sad day indeed.
    It is unfortunate that the business model doesn't include small producers and one man shops. Not enough market potential.

The original Toaster was an amazing disruptive technology that propelled NT forward. LW was spun off from it and amazingly is still with us, but is starting to show its age. If wasn't for adoption by big shops with big budgets, LW wouldn't have lasted this long.

NT, for the most part, captured lightening in the bottle again with the TriCaster, but being a small company, as well, I understand that R&D and development expenses dictate that they be spent where most effective.

But without the small independent producers who championed NT's products in the beginning, NT may have never gotten off the ground. It is indeed ironic that we as the connectors and evangelists who spread the word and purchased NT's wares are now adrift.

Quote Originally Posted by lcress View Post
    ... I understand that R&D and development expenses dictate that they be spent where most effective.
    That's about the size of it. I am reminded of the time at NAB some years ago when, after a tour around the show floor, one of the investors who helped launch the Mirage venture said to me "Man I'm glad we aren't in the NLE business!"

No-one forgets; I know many of you personally, and value that very much. We're happy that the community continues to have so many of its original members ... but the hands of time move on, and we've got to make a living. Anyway, to the reason for this post: Earlier today, someone on the VTNT mailing list remarked "If they are going to stop selling it, why not have the last day prices at a steep discount."

I felt that was a very reasonable suggestion, and floated it here. We'd really love to give our (extremely!) loyal customers a break. We can't just give SE away (licensing issues), but if someone wants a break on SE (to equip another system, give a copy to their kid, whatever), knowing it's EOL ... for the next week (only) they can call Customer Service and purchase additional copies for $200.a pop. This isn't a 'fire sale', not advertised, not a promotion ... we just want to do the right thing by folks. I'll probably be using my personal copies for a long time yet, too.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Update to this information, the price is $195 to purchase. This is for a download version with an emailed license code (no physical package).
    Last edited by kanep; 03-06-2015 at 04:19 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    ... for the next week (only) they can call Customer Service and purchase additional copies for $200.a pop. This isn't a 'fire sale', not advertised, not a promotion ... we just want to do the right thing by folks.
    Although regrettably I can no longer use SE on my system, I have to say that this is quite decent of them to do this.

Just Tryin' To Help...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Farrell View Post
    I hope they will still give out reg codes on customer support for SpeedEDIT, I am always installing it on new machines... I F'N LOVE SPEED EDIT...I DO. Someday when I'm rich I'll buy the rights to sell it...It's still a great program I use it almost every day.
    I have to agree Shawn. I have two SE seats and have moved one of them through three different laptops over the years as I upgrade machines. The second seat has been on my VT desktop system since I got it.

Toasting since 1991
    So I read in a post in this thread that SE can be installed on a Tricaster? I'd like to do that if there's not a problem in that.
    Billy Horton
    Video Image Productions
    Hattiesburg, MS
    www.vipvideo.com

I too have gotten used to Sony Vegas since I got it free with my camcorder purchase. I still prefer SE because it's easy to use (certainly much easier than Vegas), fast, and powerful. It is a shame that NewTek has the best editor on the market and decides to shelve it. It's also a shame that NewTek has chosen to forget about users like me who have been with NewTek since the digi-view days and who have and continue to be independent media producers with little if any interest in or need for multi-camera production. This is a sad day indeed.
    Not from where I sit. I have two copies of SE and I've seen for many years it languishing - I knew this was coming, sadly. I switched over to Vegas Pro YEARS ago and contrary to your opinion, I've found it VERY easy to use and now very much enjoy it. In fact moving from the Toaster and then SE to Vegas was VERY easy and didn't need any manual to do so - just some of the help files and away I went. MY SE copies will sit on the shelf, yet another Newtek piece of software EOL'd before it's time. Hopefully they never do this with LW, but if they do.... it's Blender.
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

I certainly don't regret getting and using Vegas. It's a very powerful program. My comment about it not being as easy as SE probably came from the fact that it has so much more in it than SE and I just started using it. As I said, I got it free with my camcorder and for an additional $299 I upgraded to the Vegas Pro 13 suite. For another $299 I added HitFilm 3. Add to that all the older (Mirage, TV Paint, Lightwave, VT5, Vue 5) and free (Resolve, Fusion) software installed on my workstation, I've got more than enough to learn.

Add to that all the older (Mirage, TV Paint, Lightwave, VT5, Vue 5) and free (Resolve, Fusion) software installed on my workstation, I've got more than enough to learn.
    I certainly know that feeling all too well.
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

Quote Originally Posted by wilebill View Post
    So I read in a post in this thread that SE can be installed on a Tricaster? I'd like to do that if there's not a problem in that.
    There is a SpeedEdit 'Add-on' that is available for some TriCaster models. Look in the updates and download section of the website and if SpeedEdit Add-on is listed for your product, if it is, you can download that on your TriCaster. http://new.tk/dl

The standalone version of SpeedEdit isn't supported to be installed on TriCaster (like the TC40).
    Last edited by kanep; 03-10-2015 at 07:40 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

For another $299 I added HitFilm 3.
    As a LW user I can vouch for HF 3. For the money its well worth it.

Its the compositor that NT never had. Very nice particle system, and motion tracking to boot. For those migrating to Vegas, HF integrates as a plugin on the timeline. (though not being a Vegas user, I only report this second hand from the many Vegas users on the HF list that say the integration works well.) HF also includes a rudimentary editor.

FYI, HF relies almost entirely on GPU, so you'll need a wicked graphics card to get full use out of it, especially at higher resolutions. With plenty of power, however, previews of effect stacks are nearly real time. I'm seriously considering building a new system just to be more productive with it.

If we do purchase a tricaster will the add on version still get updates to be able to edit 4k one day

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast