Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How 'bout those new nMPS?

How 'bout those new nMPS?

Good Day,

It's been awhile but I have some questions for Mac LWrs. Anyone here sporting an nMP and using it for LW work? If so, how's the performance?

Thank you in advance

what does nMP mean?
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Cresshead! Cheers mate! You bloody well know what an nMP is. : ) However you bring up a good point. For the uninitiated, an nMP is the new Mac Pro...

oh...this?

and no i didn't...googled the letters to get a hint.

..it's not twitter..we won't run out of characters to type...
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

No the computer not the ash try.

No nMP here, I have a MP 5,1 (12C/24T) from immediately prior to nMP release which is more than adequate for my needs. I find the nMP design "interesting", but I prefer boxes with room for additional HDDs, optical drives, graphics cards, and so forth. IMO, nMP allowed too much iiMac influence, too little MacPro influence.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Yeah, that's my impression as well. I would like to have one though. My problem with the nMP is that there is no allowance for choice of GPU solutions so as a result they don't really perform very well with modo. That and I am just looking into options come sale time for the Foundry. At this point it is purely speculative. If it turns out the nMP is not really a suitable candidate I will be switching to windows (for 3d anyway). I have an older Mac Pro as well and it's easily one of the best machines ever released from Apple regarding a choice for a viable 3D machine. I was just wondering if any Mac users were using one (nMP) for use with LW, or does LW suffer from poor AMD performance as well. Hey good seeing a fellow modonaut here.

Anyhow, it seems that no one is using an nMP for LW work. The last time I used LW I was running an nVidia solution and LW ran quite nicely. AMD on the other hand seemed to offer good hardware configurations yet less than favorable compared to nVidia. Most likely due to poor driver support. I am glad to see some progress with LW development and it seems NT is starting to get back on it's feet again. So let me approach this from a different direction, do AMD products perform well with LW or does LW too suffer from poor AMD support. Sorry if this is an inappropriate area to post topics of this nature, i have been away for awhile. i would have also posted in the Mac section but i didn't see one.

well i'm sure it runs really fast...12 cores will be 24 threads of render power.

apple writes the graphics drivers so they should be quite robust for 3d apps.

Lightwave 2015 supports 64 threads so plenty of elbow room.
    Last edited by cresshead; 02-20-2015 at 10:20 AM.
    stee+cat

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

are one or two users on form have one, benches about 50 seconds slower on the Marbles test scene than the previous model apart from that you wouldn't know the difference, well apart from the lack of noise and much cooler running and tiny footprint size and the thunderbolt IO's and the USB3 support and the fact it runs After Affect and Premier OCL accelerated without an Nvidia Cuda card and holds 64Gb of ram in the standard configuration, but no same old Mac Pro really

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    well i'm sure it runs really fast...12 cores will be 24 threads of render power.
    I am not talking about render power sorry if I wasn't clear. I am talking about GPU Performance. I am well aware of the potential that a 12 core machine can offer in the realm of rendering. AMD GPU (Graphical Processor Unit) solutions tend to run less than stellar with modo. I recall that that was also the case with LW to some degree in older versions. It's been awhile since I have been in LW. I am presently running 9.6 so I was wondering if it was the same with the current iterations of LW.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    are one or two users on form have one, benches about 50 seconds slower on the Marbles test scene than the previous model apart from that you wouldn't know the difference, well apart from the lack of noise and much cooler running and tiny footprint size and the thunderbolt IO's and the USB3 support and the fact it runs After Affect and Premier OCL accelerated without an Nvidia Cuda card and holds 64Gb of ram in the standard configuration, but no same old Mac Pro really
    Ahh now this is what I am seeking. Thanks for the feedback. So for the most part it seems it is pretty much the same. There are a lot of things development wise that could affect how the nMP will perform. Apple it seems is banking on it's own GPU solution and with windows, it really doesn't matter which is why I am considering switching platforms soley for 3D. The rest of course will be done on a Mac mainly because other aspects of Computer graphics aren't affected by this issue with GPU solutions. Either way it doesn't matter. I would prefer to stay with OSX as it is truly a joy to work with but it is getting down to the issue of pragmatism. A lot could happen but it doesn't hurt to weigh the options. Thanks for your feedback,

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    what does nMP mean?
    I think only hipster know this I also had no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Every4thPixel View Post
    I think only hipster know this I also had no clue.
    Well, now you do...You hipster you : )

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    My MacPro 5,1 is basically silent in normal operation, even at full render the fans are big enough it's not very loud. I don't have Thunderbolt, and that's something I miss, but adding USB3 support via a cheap PCIe card was trivial. My AMD 7970 works fine for OpenCL-accelerated stuff, and I switch to a GTX570 (soon a 970) when I need CUDA. I'll be adding another 32GB shortly for 64GB, and even then still have room, IIRC. I might consider the next gen of nMP if based around Intel octodeca-core tech, but as it stands current nMP isnt enough of a boost to merit moving yet.

As for AMD vs Nvidia, neither my AMD 5770 nor 7970 run particularly "worse" than my NV GTX 570 (and the NV GTX 570 is same-gen tech as the AMD 5770) in either Modo or LW. I've not seen much evidence to indicate the alleged perf difference is really meaningful -- if it were, I would expect see it when comparing 570 vs 5770.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast