Thread: GI Flicker and Minnaert Shader

GI Flicker and Minnaert Shader

Just thought I'd share this.

I have been rendering a ton of animation scenes lately with Monte Carlo at with very economical settings. Havent had an issue with flickering till I started a group of shots this week. There was flickering all of a sudden and no matter how high my settings were raised the flickering would not stop.

Turns out the group of shots were using a clone of a model I had stored on a back up drive and it used the Minnaert shader for skin. I had switched to Oren Nayer before beginning final renders at the beginning of the year. When I swapped out the model with the Oren Nayer Shader for skin all flickering disappeared.

So if you have GI flickering Minnaert might be the culprit.
    Break up epic desk sitting sessions with 5-15 min breaks and get your recommended daily dose of fiber.

Good to know.. Thank you.
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

On a related note I was having some noisy reflections, things would look fine except when being reflected they had this white noise like a bumpy specular that would flicker between frames. I was pulling my hair out trying to remove it. I tried upping the ray recursion limit, the antialias, shading samples, light samples.. still visible. Till I lowered the "Ray Cut OFF" to .001. And that got rid of it =)