Thread: Creating an Ice Material

Creating an Ice Material

I found one tutorial for LW, but finally gave up and used Modo to create something. However, I love LW's interface and would rather use it and its renderer for this. Any ideas on ice material creation?
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Please describe the type of ice. It has many variations.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Bluish nearly clear on the inside, clear on the edges.

This is a very good tutorial, but I wasn't able to reproduce what I actually envision. Any ideas will help.

http://www.imagecommunications.de/tu...thickness.html
    Last edited by rcallicotte; 02-09-2015 at 08:48 PM.
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Ice, glass, water and pretty much everything with reflectivity and/or transparency will need a good surrounding world to show off it's properties. So before you start tweaking the ice surface, make sure you have a textured background and some objects in the scene. Regarding the ice itself, you can use fracture to slice it up a bit to give it some internal surfaces to reflect and refract light.

Just use the dielectric shader and you are done!

Wow! Thanks for all the input. One other reason I liked doing this in LW is because of Fracture. It's so easy to use!!

Unless you want big scale ice, where SSS is visible, use dielectric. You could also add bubbles inside the ice cubes, good luck!

Yes, Dielectric with a procedural. Boolean small to large bubbles out of the ice mesh interior or, in Layout, place modeled spheres within the ice mesh volume or add nulls inside the shape and attach various diameter HVs to them. Then use this technique: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1416384 to add foam micro-bubbles inside amongst the HV/modeled bubbles.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain