Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Autodesk Details Subscription Transition for New Software Licenses

Autodesk Details Subscription Transition for New Software Licenses

Well this sucks..
    "

"With today’s announcement, we are giving our customers a full year to plan for these changes, and will continue to be transparent about our plans"

SAN RAFAEL, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today Autodesk, Inc. (Nasdaq:ADSK) announced that new commercial seats of most standalone desktop software products will be available only by Desktop Subscription beginning February 1, 2016. Through these changes, Autodesk is continuing its transition to subscription-based offerings for its products, which provide customers a simplified product management and deployment experience, and makes it easier to introduce new tools and technology into the workflow with lower upfront cost and the ability to pay as you go.

"How the world is designed and made is changing, and how software is delivered is changing as well. The companies that embrace these changes will lead their industries toward a more nimble, connected and richer future,” said Andrew Anagnost, Autodesk senior vice president of Industry Strategy & Marketing. "Our customers have long asked for greater flexibility and more value from their software investments. The shift to subscription allows Autodesk to deliver both, as well as an improved user experience and easier access to a broader portfolio of technology.”

Autodesk Desktop Subscription offers a simplified installation, management and upgrade experience, flexible payment terms, and broader access rights across multiple devices. Autodesk plans to continually innovate and improve Desktop Subscription products to more tightly integrate them with Autodesk cloud services and reduce file compatibility issues.

Autodesk customers who have purchased perpetual licenses prior to February 1, 2016 will be able to continue to use those licenses, and customers on Maintenance Subscription will continue to receive corresponding benefits for as long as their subscription remains active. Autodesk will also continue to offer Cloud Services Subscriptions.

“With today’s announcement, we are giving our customers a full year to plan for these changes, and will continue to be transparent about our plans,” continued Anagnost. “Autodesk will be working closely with our customers and partners to ease the impact of these changes, and we are committed to making the transition as smooth as possible.”

For full details on today’s announcement and subscription options, please visit http://www.autodesk.com/perpetuallicenses
    "

http://news.autodesk.com/press-relea...tware-licenses
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 02-04-2015 at 09:09 AM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Glad I never bothered with them. Blender, Lightwave and Modo are fine alternatives.
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

Thanks for posting. I was just talking to my sales rep about what is going to be happening. He did not know yet. But this does answer at least a few questions I had. We had talked about this at length. It is a complex issue. And hopefully we will get more answers to some of the many questions that arise from this.

Edit:

Oh, found this:

http://static-dc.autodesk.net/conten...ePublicFAQ.pdf

More in depth and answers some of the questions I had just been asking yesterday.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 02-04-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Viva the monopoly! Owning is almost always better for the consumer then renting. Renting generally costs you more in the long run, everyone knows that, but thanks Autodesk for telling consumers what is good for them... lol.

Agreed, you have to keep paying them to have access to the files of work you've created. You rent the software and they own you.
    Good business model...
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

You have a year to buy a perp license. And after that you can keep it. (and keep also your yearly subscription plan or not up to you) You are not required to switch to rental. They have only announced that new licenses will be rental in 2016. That gives people a year to decide which way to go. And anyone choosing to stay perp can.

As it is now there is a choice so people can decide. After 2016 that choice goes away but only for new licenses. People who already have perp before that date can keep going that way.

Yes, but will they be able to get new versions? That detail is left up in the air. Found it interesting that the VP at least nodded that they will try to "ease the impact". OOoops. Uh... up top we said that it would be better for customers. If so, there wouldn't be any "impact" to ease.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

It is all answered in the PDF FAQ. (link above) But yes, if you buy a perpetual license with a yearly maintenance subscription before Feb 1 2016, you keep it, and can continue to keep it upgraded and all of the benefits you normally get from a perpetual license with subscription. In other words for all of the people who currently own AD products under a perpetual license, nothing changes. There is no forced hand here for them. It is the new customers after Feb 1 2016 who will only have the option to rent.

I canīt prove it but Iīm 100% sure that last statement, even if said so by Autodesk will be false.
    AD wants you to go to the subscription model, so they will force you into it, and there are practical ways to do so. For instance, if they make your updating process virtually impossible or impossibly convoluted unless you are on the subscription model, users will go that way out of boredom.
    As I said, I have no facts to back this idea, but if you are a Maya or Max user, better get comfortable with the subscription model...or change your software.
    3d animation? Hah! Did you take a look through your window?thereīs plenty of it...and pre-rendered!!

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    It is all answered in the PDF FAQ. (link above) But yes, if you buy a perpetual license with a yearly maintenance subscription before Feb 1 2016, you keep it, and can continue to keep it upgraded and all of the benefits you normally get from a perpetual license with subscription. In other words for all of the people who currently own AD products under a perpetual license, nothing changes. There is no forced hand here for them. It is the new customers after Feb 1 2016 who will only have the option to rent.
    Surely this is just shades of grey. If you own a perpetual licence you have to stay on maintenance to stay updated - if you let it lapse you can only get back up-to-date by going on subscription. Either way they get their annual 'rental' from you - you can't skip upgrades without getting tied into the subscription.
    Matt Knott / VERSUS
    http://www.versus.nu

Is it within the price range of adobe cloud?

Quote Originally Posted by lightscape View Post
    http://www.autodesk.com/subscription/desktop

scroll down, pick a product, click buy and....

Quote Originally Posted by lightscape View Post
    Maya is currently listed as USD $2310 pa or $290 pm.
    Matt Knott / VERSUS
    http://www.versus.nu

Quote Originally Posted by Netvudu View Post
    I canīt prove it but Iīm 100% sure that last statement, even if said so by Autodesk will be false.
    AD wants you to go to the subscription model, so they will force you into it, and there are practical ways to do so. For instance, if they make your updating process virtually impossible or impossibly convoluted unless you are on the subscription model, users will go that way out of boredom.
    As I said, I have no facts to back this idea, but if you are a Maya or Max user, better get comfortable with the subscription model...or change your software.
    I think they will definitely move the perp licenses entirely eventually. But I also believe based on the track record of the last year, that they will notify people of changes well in advance. As it stands now nothing really changes for a year. That is plenty of time to explore options.

I feel that their plan is to do this first, then offer what the alternatives are and allow people to gravitate to the new model. There are a lot of people with perp licenses right now. And a lot of studios with network licenses and so on. For all of those customers nothing changes for a year and even then, as per the release, they can still stick with the way they have been doing business. It is way too soon to force the hand on all of those customers.

But at the same time you don't have to be a market annalist to see the writing on the wall. Rental is coming. But in the case of Autodesk I would give it another year maybe more but not much, say by 2017 or 2018 it will be all rental with an announcement coming in 2016. That's how I read between the lines.

Mainly because it is a real complex issue and they have a lot of things to work out to get customers serviced. That is my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by souzou View Post
    Surely this is just shades of grey. If you own a perpetual licence you have to stay on maintenance to stay updated - if you let it lapse you can only get back up-to-date by going on subscription. Either way they get their annual 'rental' from you - you can't skip upgrades without getting tied into the subscription.
    Yes. Some months ago that gave a fair warning that upgrades would go obsolete. That passed. Now the only way to upgrade it so be on subscription. No more waiting for 2-3 years to upgrade.

However there is some leeway. You have a 30 day grace period after which you are charged another fee. I think 100 bucks roughly. At least it is for me. Then after that as long as you pay your subscription within the year (from your start date to end date) you don't loose it.

Anyway, yeah, it is expensive to keep this software up to date.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast