Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Autodesk Details Subscription Transition for New Software Licenses

Quote Originally Posted by souzou View Post
    They turned off the activation server but you can download an install that will still work. See this thread:
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1195856
    That link brings up a good point. What do you do when your software is no longer supported by
    newer versions of Windows?

Also with the CS2, it would work when I first install it on Win 7, then after awhile it would just
    get hung up on the loading screen and never start.

The software industry will only change to the degree that people offer competitive tools. That is all that this is about. None of us can predict the future, honestly. But one thing is for sure. If a better software gets made, it will find audience. Nothing will cause the market to shift from a sellers to a buyers market more than supply. That's economics 101.

Quote Originally Posted by tischbein3 View Post
    what other issues do you mean ? care to go into details ?
    No need to. We all know the shortcomings of LW. Yet some of us - myself included - continue to use it. I like using the software and have been using it since LW3 on the Amiga. But that would end if NT/LW3DG ever decided to go rental-only.

Quote Originally Posted by VonBon View Post
    That link brings up a good point. What do you do when your software is no longer supported by
    newer versions of Windows?
    You do what we do - keep a machine or two that can run the software. I doubt LW5.5 would run on Win7, but it runs fine of XP and we have at least two machines that will run that software. It's more difficult if you're a hobbyist, but being a business I need to make sure the software we NEED is able to run. There will come a time that this won't be feasible, but that will be a LONG ways off.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    The software industry will only change to the degree that people offer competitive tools. That is all that this is about. None of us can predict the future, honestly. But one thing is for sure. If a better software gets made, it will find audience. Nothing will cause the market to shift from a sellers to a buyers market more than supply. That's economics 101.
    Spot on!
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    I agree 100 %
    these moves by Autodesk strikes me as being somewhat TONE DEAF of the realities of what is going on on the Cg world. Studios are closing left and right, artist are forced to move to some of the most expensive cities IN THE WORLD.
    I mean COME ON Something has to give.
    Ok if you are laid off for an extended amount of time, ans you have a mortgage payments + kids, how the hell are you supposed to keep up your skills?
    When I hear that this will keep HOBBYIST out of the market, for me it is CODE for PEOPLE who are not ins a studio thus CANNOT PAY.
    And can a small studio/ small educational institution keep up with the money these subscriptions require?
    And jusat wait untilthey force you to have your WORK FILES in the cloud and start making IP CLAIMS.
    That is next trust me.
    It seem to me that the only TONe Autodeslk is listening is the one of their investors.
    you're blinded by your own short sightedness of media and entertainment

autodesk is CAD they make software to build buildings, design cars, products and construct roadways
    autodesk are just rolling out a company wide mantra - rental.

media and entertainment is a tiny..insignificant slither of income...and they all but OWN that industry so can dictate how their software rolls out.
    I don't agree with their roadmap..i'm a 3ds max user but they just arn't listening...
    we're the little ants being stepped on..and they are the giant unaware "ants" even exist.

simple as that.
    Last edited by cresshead; 02-09-2015 at 08:58 PM.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    simple as that.
    I don't know about that. While the entertainment software isn't anywhere near as large a money-maker for AD, if there is a severe enough backlash from studios and everyone else they may have to make changes. If they lose most of that business, it WILL decrease their stock price and make shareholders VERY unhappy. It will all depend upon the reaction from those who use the software. Does anyone know what the reaction is with the CAD users regarding rental-only?
    Dave Williams
    Digital Sorcery Warehouse LLC

Good Question.

A few clarifications though for those talking about how this will or will not affect the large studios.

It is helpful - if you don't know already - to understand some terms. "Standalone" means one workstation. One installation. Most studios, though probably have some standalone licenses, I would gather mostly get Network licenses which can float around the studio from machine to machine and are also necessary for network rendering.

So that should shed some light on this statement:

Autodesk is gradually transitioning new software purchases for our products to subscription options only. In the first phase of this transition, new seats of standalone desktop software products will generally be available only as a Desktop Subscription beginning February 1, 2016.
    http://www.autodesk.com/products/perpetuallicenses

This means that it currently does not affect any network license purchases based on the definition of what Standalone is. For example my license is a Network license. With that I also get a separate license key to install software on another machine as a Standalone. So when they say "Standalone" I am fairly certain this is intentional wording.

Digging further into this PDF:

http://static-dc.autodesk.net/conten...ePublicFAQ.pdf

1.2 Who is impacted by these changes?
    Any company or individual who wishes to purchase new software licenses of most standalone Autodesk products after
    January 31, 2016 will only have the option to purchase as Desktop Subscription or term-based licenses.
    1.4Does this change apply to Autodesk Suites such as the Autodesk Design and Creation Suites?
    New perpetual licenses for Autodesk Design & Creation Suites and other suite offerings will continue to be offered beyond February 1, 2016. Any transition to a subscription-only based offering for Suites will be communicated well in
    advance.
    A list of Design and Creation Suites here:

http://www.autodesk.com/suites

Included in that list is The Entertainment Suite:

http://www.autodesk.com/suites/enter...suite/overview

So, anyone wishing to purchase suites after this date still can. They are a much better bargain all around considering the competition. And there is no date released as to when this will change. But, sure it is coming.

Just some additional info. I think the impact on studios will not be as much as feared, at least immediately.

But again, look, unless we are going to develop our own software we have what other people make. And that is it.

Nothing stopping the most brilliant minds in 3D from banding together to create a new 3D tool for artists. But the problem is, no one is doing that. People seem happy writing plugins and various other things. Imagine if the creators of the best LW, Maya and 3D Max plugins put that energy into creating a new application? What is actually stopping people from doing that? Money I guess. Or maybe leadership. No one is taking the reigns to do it.

David Ikeda has the right idea. Starting a new app from scratch. I'd say if you want to start something new. Toss some money his way.

David Ikeda has the right idea. Starting a new app from scratch. I'd say if you want to start something new. Toss some money his way.
    Have you got any thoughts to share as to why you think that this right idea didn't work when he was part of the LightWave Group?
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

The two are not connected in my mind when stating that. By right idea I mean starting a brand new app now in 2015 with all of the legacy and mistakes other apps have made in the past. Learning from those, respecting what worked and what tools exist. Not dismissing ignorantly other tools and what they can do based on some preconceived bias. But rather entering into the game knowing well what the playing field is and making a good base plan that has to be in place for the next 10-20 years. And as a part of that plan making room for as much flexibility as viably possible in the beginning. But also approaching the task with a good realistic working knowledge of what can and should be improved on and how. And how an artist wants the tool to respond and perform as well as the feedback and artist needs and wants.

All of the other apps on the market both benefit and are hindered by the fact that they have been entrenched in a code base and decisions made 1 to 2 decades ago. Many of those decisions can not be overturned. But lived with and worked around. New technology can be infused but some changes and fixes are either extremely difficult or impossible.

Starting a new app now means you have all of this experience to draw on as well as a fresh view based on existing technology and what artists want today and will likely expect and need into the future.

When you are coding in an app that originated 2 decades ago, your hands are somewhat tied. I don't mean just LightWave. Even Maya I imagine has a long list of these kinds of things.

What David Brings to the table is the correct frame of mind to look into the future and to make plans as well as start with a technology that could have an impact on the way artists are allowed to work.

You mix all that together in a painting/sculpting/modeling/animation app that allows you to keep a non-destuctive workflow from one end to the next and you have something.

Imagine you can be sculpting on millions of polygons, rig that, pose it, animate it, paint on it and go very far into the process before you have to let technology get in the way and retop UV map and the rest of it.

This has nothing to do with his working relationship with NewTek and it is not even my place to say what that was if I knew. That is up to him to say or not say.

I am simply commenting on discussions we have had over at Facebook. Basing my opinion on just knowing him as an individual and what he is planning and working on now. And as far as I am concerned that is all that matters.

If I had the money, I would back him in a heartbeat. Assuming he would even allow that.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 02-10-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks, the reason I asked is that this isn't the first time I've seen you being quite enthusiastic about him and I wondered what it was about his work that had you so eager to support him financially and to encourage others to do the same. Not that there's anything wrong with sharing a vision, but you can understand how such enthusiasm might seem a little out of place if you were just the average LightWave user.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Don't overlook Zbrush as an alternative. It has some things going for it already: A HUGE userbase that is very loyal and very established; no subscription BS (heck, they haven't charged for upgrades in years); and they are integrating traditional modeling tools that long-time 3D modelers have been using for ages. True, it won't replace Maya or Max any time soon, but Pixologic has it's entire leg in the door at this point, so stay tuned.

Yeah I have been seeing that too. A few years ago they started adding some animation capability.

The problem Zbrush I feel is that they are suffering in the worst way from what I have described above.

They suffer largely from what Zbrush suffers from and that is a legacy framework within which it seems to me that everything must be developed. For that reason I see the potential animation workflow as quite convoluted. If they could even pull off an interface that could handle it properly.

oh corks
    For that reason I see the potential animation workflow as quite convoluted. If they could even pull off an interface that could handle it properly.
    Maybe they could... I don't know... make it two completely separate modules... one that's just for making models and one that's just for doing animation...

Yeah I have been seeing that too. A few years ago they started adding some animation capability.

The problem Zbrush I feel is that they are suffering in the worst way from what I have described above.

They suffer largely from what Zbrush suffers from and that is a legacy framework within which it seems to me that everything must be developed. For that reason I see the potential animation workflow as quite convoluted. If they could even pull off an interface that could handle it properly.
    I can think of a half dozen things that zbrush would be better at than skeletal animation.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast