Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Autodesk Details Subscription Transition for New Software Licenses

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Autodesk Details Subscription Transition for New Software Licenses

Well this sucks..
    "

"With today’s announcement, we are giving our customers a full year to plan for these changes, and will continue to be transparent about our plans"

SAN RAFAEL, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today Autodesk, Inc. (Nasdaq:ADSK) announced that new commercial seats of most standalone desktop software products will be available only by Desktop Subscription beginning February 1, 2016. Through these changes, Autodesk is continuing its transition to subscription-based offerings for its products, which provide customers a simplified product management and deployment experience, and makes it easier to introduce new tools and technology into the workflow with lower upfront cost and the ability to pay as you go.

"How the world is designed and made is changing, and how software is delivered is changing as well. The companies that embrace these changes will lead their industries toward a more nimble, connected and richer future,” said Andrew Anagnost, Autodesk senior vice president of Industry Strategy & Marketing. "Our customers have long asked for greater flexibility and more value from their software investments. The shift to subscription allows Autodesk to deliver both, as well as an improved user experience and easier access to a broader portfolio of technology.”

Autodesk Desktop Subscription offers a simplified installation, management and upgrade experience, flexible payment terms, and broader access rights across multiple devices. Autodesk plans to continually innovate and improve Desktop Subscription products to more tightly integrate them with Autodesk cloud services and reduce file compatibility issues.

Autodesk customers who have purchased perpetual licenses prior to February 1, 2016 will be able to continue to use those licenses, and customers on Maintenance Subscription will continue to receive corresponding benefits for as long as their subscription remains active. Autodesk will also continue to offer Cloud Services Subscriptions.

“With today’s announcement, we are giving our customers a full year to plan for these changes, and will continue to be transparent about our plans,” continued Anagnost. “Autodesk will be working closely with our customers and partners to ease the impact of these changes, and we are committed to making the transition as smooth as possible.”

For full details on today’s announcement and subscription options, please visit http://www.autodesk.com/perpetuallicenses
    "

http://news.autodesk.com/press-relea...tware-licenses
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 02-04-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Glad I never bothered with them. Blender, Lightwave and Modo are fine alternatives.
    When you know you're a "cup half-full" kind of guy:

"Sir; they've got us surrounded!"

"Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"

Thanks for posting. I was just talking to my sales rep about what is going to be happening. He did not know yet. But this does answer at least a few questions I had. We had talked about this at length. It is a complex issue. And hopefully we will get more answers to some of the many questions that arise from this.

Edit:

Oh, found this:

http://static-dc.autodesk.net/conten...ePublicFAQ.pdf

More in depth and answers some of the questions I had just been asking yesterday.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 02-04-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Viva the monopoly! Owning is almost always better for the consumer then renting. Renting generally costs you more in the long run, everyone knows that, but thanks Autodesk for telling consumers what is good for them... lol.

Agreed, you have to keep paying them to have access to the files of work you've created. You rent the software and they own you.
    Good business model...
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

"OH NO!", Joseph Joestar ncr100's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Oh, found this:

http://static-dc.autodesk.net/conten...ePublicFAQ.pdf

More in depth and answers some of the questions I had just been asking yesterday.
    This:
    With its shift away from software “ownership” or ...
    They quoted the word ownership. I want to swear, something to the effect of screw them - less choice, more profit, DRM everywhere, no ownership, everyone is a serf. Creeps.
    -Nick
    audio: Ö ¤ wk Py

Quote Originally Posted by ncr100 View Post
    They quoted the word ownership. I want to swear, something to the effect of screw them - less choice, more profit, DRM everywhere, no ownership, everyone is a serf. Creeps.
    It's the same thing with Adobe. But because their pricing is "so wonderful," many just seem to accept it. It won't STAY wonderful and eventually you'll have hundreds/thousands of files that won't be able to be opened by anything BUT their software. This is just a BAD precedent.

creacon
    The problem with Autodesk is not only the subscription model.

- Pricing differences between the US and Europe is huge, the Euro is at an all time low, but Maya is still 22% more expensive in Europe (used to be 40%).
    - The resellers here hardly know the product their selling, so no support from them.
    - The Autodesk support is a laugh, you end up in India (I think), receive mails in poor english, it took me 4 mails to get the guy to understand the question, they contacted me again 3 months after our deadline to tell me they took care of the problem.
    - Bugs don't get fixed, they are part of the next upgrade of your subscription, which most of the time introduces new problems, and requires all plugins to be recompiled.

We, as a studio don't feel like an Autodesk client, we feel like a victim.
    The only part we use in Maya is the rigging/setup/deformation animation part. No modeling, no rendering. And as soon as someone comes up with a viable alternative, we'll be the first in line to test it out.
    Too bad Newtek doesn't have a clue about CA, Genoma is barking up the wrong tree and without undo CA is a no-no.

creacon

Quote Originally Posted by ncr100 View Post
    This:

They quoted the word ownership.
    To be fair on that point you have to look squarely at the law. No one actually owns software legally other than the party who created ( and is thus holder of) the intellectual property. It is a legal impossibility. It is because software comes into a special case where you actually can not factually/legally sell it to an end user. It is not like something that is manufactured and taken away by the consumer. That is the entire basis for the EULA. It says exactly what it means. You are not an owner but a user. This is entirely different. Because at any time you violate the EULA, you can be legally stopped from using the software. Are the cases rare where you would see this enforced? Yes. But it is the way it is. So when they quote "ownership" that is what it means. It means the difference between being allowed to use software perpetually as long as you abide by the ELUA or are required to continue to pay fees to access the software and also as long as you abide by the ELUA. Software ownership is a misnomer if there ever was one. If you owned LightWave you could walk in to the offices and take all of the code and go your merry way. That is ownership when it comes to software. You can not own someone's intellectual property. (unless you buy it outright of course and then you become the owner) You can license it. That is all it ever is.

Extra bonus points if you can properly fill in the blanks to this EULA:

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE. BY INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE, YOU AGREE TO BECOME BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE, RETURN THIS PACKAGE TO THE PLACE WHERE YOU OBTAINED IT WITHIN 15 DAYS FOR A FULL REFUND.

1. Grant of License

The enclosed computer program(s) (the "Software") is licensed, not sold, to you by ________. (_________) for use only under the terms of this License, and ____________ reserves any rights not expressly granted to you. You own the disk(s) on which the Software is recorded or fixed, but the Software and all copyright rights therein, foreign and domestic, is owned by __________ or its suppliers and is protected by United States copyright laws and international treaty provisions.
    For all practical intents and purposes we "own" perpetual licenses. Because we are allowed to use them indefinitely under certain conditions.

To be fair on that point you have to look squarely at the law. No one actually owns software legally other than the party who created ( and is thus holder of) the intellectual property. It is a legal impossibility. It is because software comes into a special case where you actually can not factually/legally sell it to an end user. It is not like something that is manufactured and taken away by the consumer. That is the entire basis for the EULA. It says exactly what it means. You are not an owner but a user.
    BS legalese. We OWN the license and can use it for as long as we want to. I've NEVER heard of any company rescinding a license - and since it's not common knowledge I sincerely doubt that it is a REAL problem. In the EU they can sell their OWNED licenses of the software. Here in the US we used to be able to sell our licenses of Adobe. (And yes I know, NOT the versions that we upgraded to other versions.) But for all intents and purposes, we OWN "the software." Obviously we can't make copies and sell those copies. Just like we can't make a Mickey Mouse figure and legally sell it.

For all practical intents and purposes we "own" perpetual licenses. Because we are allowed to use them indefinitely under certain conditions.
    Yes. Which is something you can't now do with Adobe CC and soon with AD software.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon2.0 View Post
    BS legalese
    Well sure it is for all intents and purposes just like I said. I agree with you there. Most of us will never run into an issue with this. But it is a legal fact that the people writing the copy are aware of that and would get reamed by the legal department if they did not put quotes on it. That is really all I was pointing out.

ELUAs are real though and they do wind up in court sometimes. Sometimes the software companies win sometimes they loose. But it is real.

You have a year to buy a perp license. And after that you can keep it. (and keep also your yearly subscription plan or not up to you) You are not required to switch to rental. They have only announced that new licenses will be rental in 2016. That gives people a year to decide which way to go. And anyone choosing to stay perp can.

As it is now there is a choice so people can decide. After 2016 that choice goes away but only for new licenses. People who already have perp before that date can keep going that way.

You have a year to buy a perp license. And after that you can keep it. (and keep also your yearly subscription plan or not up to you) You are not required to switch to rental. They have only announced that new licenses will be rental in 2016. That gives people a year to decide which way to go. And anyone choosing to stay perp can.

As it is now there is a choice so people can decide. After 2016 that choice goes away but only for new licenses. People who already have perp before that date can keep going that way.
    The part I don't recall really seeing spelled out is what your annual subscription cost will be after that 2016 deadline. I suspect we will see a hefty price increase when we have to renew in 2016...

Yes, but will they be able to get new versions? That detail is left up in the air. Found it interesting that the VP at least nodded that they will try to "ease the impact". OOoops. Uh... up top we said that it would be better for customers. If so, there wouldn't be any "impact" to ease.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

It is all answered in the PDF FAQ. (link above) But yes, if you buy a perpetual license with a yearly maintenance subscription before Feb 1 2016, you keep it, and can continue to keep it upgraded and all of the benefits you normally get from a perpetual license with subscription. In other words for all of the people who currently own AD products under a perpetual license, nothing changes. There is no forced hand here for them. It is the new customers after Feb 1 2016 who will only have the option to rent.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast