Thread: Zbrush texture/normal/displacement maps into Lightwave

Zbrush texture/normal/displacement maps into Lightwave

Does anyone know of a detailed, carefully written pipeline for exporting ZBrush textures into Lightwave. There seems to be a non-intuitive sequence that needs to be followed exactly with V-flipping and/or G-flipping etc. I've tried various combinations but usually end up with the Normal maps not fitting exactly. I've tried making all the maps in Zbrush, Alpha-flipping and then GoZ-ing everything. Honestly, I'm rather at my wits end here and would be grateful for a sequence to follow. Thanks.

Use GO-Z works fine for me

For normal map rendering in LW you simply need to flip the green channel either inside Zbrush normal map generator, or photoshop, or you can click the flip Y axis (green channel) checkbox inside the normal map node in LW nodal. Yes, you must flip all maps inside zbrush or photoshop on the vertical axis. GoZ would do that for you automatically. GoZ also turns the flip Y axis checkbox on for you inside the nm node.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Here's an old video that goes through the 16bit TIff displacment map process for rendering in LW. 2:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhX54lliHWE
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 02-02-2015 at 04:53 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Thanks for the reply Jason. I'm still stuck though. The screengrabs show my settings in ZB prior to hitting GoZ. I tried checking and unchecking the V flip on both the map generator and the Alpha menu. I've also tried generating the maps manually in multi-map exporter with a similar result. The N map and D maps appear on the VPR as slightly out of register. Oddly, Octane uses just the base mesh with an NM! You might wonder why I'm trying to get my model into LW at all - I need FibreFX, to avoid making polygonal fibers in ZB. Thanks again, David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GoZ to LW.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	908.0 KB 
ID:	126862

hi, I didn't know you were using octane. I'm not familiar with that but I'm pretty sure you need octane nodes to get the displacement working. I would take a look at your documentation.

Hi Jason, I need to go through Lightwave's Octane plugin, so I'm forced to find a way to texture my model in Lightwave first. Do the settings that I've posted look correct to you?

I don't have experience with ZBrush, but anyway you are going to need to use the Octane nodes to render your displacement or normal map in Octane for LightWave. The work flow is not the same at all.

For example for a displacement you need this kind of nodes setup:

Name:	image000423.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	126863

And for normal mapping this one:

Name:	image000424.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	126864

-Juanjo
    Juanjo Gonzalez
    Computer Graphics Software Developer

Thank you for this Juanjo, I'll try this out later and get back to you - I might need to redo the maps. David

well make sure you know what kind of normal map you need or you may have to experiment (which color channels need flipping). Also make sure what kind of formats and bit size octane can use for displacements (16 or 32 bit, .tiff or exr.
    Otherwise I'd say you're are going about it ok.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 02-03-2015 at 10:43 AM.

Bingo! All I needed was a Normal map but curiously both it and the texture map required the Zbrush V-flip to be unchecked. Now to the job I've been dreading, translating the skin texture. Thanks again.

Lino Grandi
    3D Development, LightWave 3D Group/NewTek, Inc.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/

LightWave 3D Group YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Official...?feature=watch

My YouTube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/linograndi?feature=mhee

Thanks Lino, This is really helpful. I've not used GUV tiles before - I presume that I save them out in the usual way in Zbrush. If you are reading this Juanjo, can you say if GUV tiles are supported in Octane and whether or not the V-flip in Zbrush is still needed?

I'm working on a transcription of the Octane Tony Sculptor skin-shader and will post the NOD file in due course.

Fair warning, you aren't going to get nice results with Tangent Space normal maps using tiled UVs. Too many seams. GUV tiles work ok with displacements however.

Thanks Jason, This wouldn't have occurred to me - you've probably saved me a few days and who knows how many brow wrinkles!