Thread: Stupid question regarding bones and embedded non-deforming objects

Stupid question regarding bones and embedded non-deforming objects

I freely admit that this is a stupid question and I should know (or be able to reason out) the answer, but for some reason it's eluding me. If anybody can tell me, or even point me to a good bones tutorial that would cover this, that would be great.

I have an object I've rigged to move with bones, and it has embedded in it some child objects which should move but NOT deform. For example, in the case of animating a snake, you would want the snake's teeth to move with the snake, but not to deform as the snake moves (since teeth are not noticeably flexible.)

I solved this once before (I think) but I can't remember how I did it. I guess I'm getting old.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I'm terrible at this stuff, but couldn't you just child the objects to the bones?

Also, I know courtesy RH that you can attach/align an object to specific points on a mesh, via nodes, but that involves an IMO non-trivial amount of hoop-jumping.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 02-01-2015 at 11:29 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I'm terrible at this stuff, but couldn't you just child the objects to the bones?
    Or use weight maps and hold bones to isolate the geometry.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    You're absolutely right, I was totally over-complicating it with multiple rigs and parent nulls and all kinds of stuff I didn't need. A Rube Goldberg moment. Simplicity is beautiful. Thanks!