Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturday Afternoon "I'm bored" Mini project - SNES Cartridge

fusion replaced after effects for me years ago. The node based compositing was brilliant.

today fusion was released for free in my guess an attempt to gain some market share back from nuke, which seems to be very popular right now.

Its a real gift, fusion is a very very full featured compositing program - way better than blenders (although i started learning it before fusion was released and it's really not that bad).

If you need to do compositing - fusion is your best friend. Being free makes it really useful. Plus it looks like it will be supported for long term, another bonus and investing time into learning it becomes justified.
    =)

just so you know - there is a pick color from screen option for choosing colors for your object.

i tell people alot - get the real color from the reference... dont guess. Just getting the right colors goes along way to making it look real.

Just for kicks...

Just for kicks, I figured I'd try recreating part of the model using SubD's. Surprisingly easier then I thought it might be. And while I don't think I should (I could be looking at building a composition using that cartridge model) I am kinda tossing up the thought of remodeling this with Subd's just because its fun... We'll see how bored I am this weekend... lol!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SubD_version.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	126919
    -- --
    100 Days challenge 2014 : 800 Bits

Personal Blog :Personal Blog
    NZLWUG : Facebook / Blog
    -- --

VERY NICE JOB

is the middle detail part also sub-d DJwaterman is doing an airlock in subD and he shares some of his techniques which are very useful.

I'm not a very good sub d modeler and i kinda shy away from it. So any time i learn subd modeling techniques i'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    is the middle detail part also sub-d
    The whole thing is built from sub-d's. If you mean is the whole thing a single piece of geometry, then no. I modeled the top label and the thin 'strips' inside the inset as separate SubD model parts. Generally the more you split edges, weld corners and add edge loops, the more your smoothed mesh shape will change and the more complex (and messy) the mesh can become to manage.

Here's a screenshot of the model pieces fyi... Now I look at them, I can already see better ways to construct this - maybe a 3rd rebuild is in order (just for personal satisfaction really... Though... I'll think about what else I can do with my time first before committing to remaking a remake. Haha! )

Name:	subD_parts.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	126928

SubD's would mean I could zoom in close on the mesh without seeing hard edges or facets (providing I set the subd level high enough) but the reasons for doing so would have to be based on my planned use for it. I had to deal with this during a 100-day challenge I did last year (the link is in my signature) where I had to turn around a scene a day (modeling, surfacing and rendering). Only model what I planned on rendering, and do it as quickly as I could. If you're curious, take a peek.
    -- --

-- --

i like the idea of a 100 day challenge. That in itself is very challenging.
    It is oddly enough very similar to my 8bit days, i recognize every one of those guys, having had or used most of them.
    Joust was one of my favorite games!!

Your texturing is extremely good, and everything looks really nice. You've got that good EYE for detail.

NICE work!!

Just mucking around - after spending a few hours, I don't think I like it... Obviously some work needed on textures there - cartridge now looks dirty (tone back that fractal on diffuse needed), and everything else is too clean. Also not sure that the lighting works...

Name:	Composition_processed.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	126948

I did take a real photo first, so it is based on my pretty bad photography...

As you can see, its a quicky 'partial' model based on what was going to be seen in this composition. And yes, the controller is pretty much like that - its a 3rd party one I bought from China for $3 or something. The only original pieces I have on my SNES here is the console... And of course the cartridges.

Name:	Composition_perspective.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	126946

And of course, you can't get away without posting some wires to go with it.

Name:	Composition_wires.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	126947

But like the original model, this is still a 'something to do in my spare time' play-project. So perhaps its time to move back to my previous Sanka MkB project anyway. Lots more work to do on that one...
    -- --

-- --

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12