Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday Afternoon "I'm bored" Mini project - SNES Cartridge

Saturday Afternoon "I'm bored" Mini project - SNES Cartridge

I've been shopping on eBay and finally got an old SNES console I'd had sitting around for years up and working. After posting a photo or two to Facebook, I decided it would also make for a small afternoon 'fill in some time' project today. So here are some WIP images... The occlusion shaded version is the latest one - I like building in the detail, especially if its physically big enough to notice... I had a simpler model and bump maps as well - looked good to, but its all for a bit of fun so why not.

The textured cartridge is the bump-mapped one. The occlusion shaded ones are the last updates. After I add in a few more details (the embossed Nintendo logo and add a back label), I'll slap some textures on and render something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modelDetail2.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	126770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modelDetail1.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	126771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	textured_up.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	126772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNES_WIP02.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	126773   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNES_WIP01.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	126774  

-- --
    100 Days challenge 2014 : 800 Bits

Personal Blog :Personal Blog
    NZLWUG : Facebook / Blog
    -- --

And some wires... Drill, multishift and rounder... Pretty much the main tools used, and they make modeling stuff like this fast and easy.

Name:	_wires_modelled.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	126775  
    -- --

-- --

nice, although you could put some scuff marks on it, that cartridge would of seen a lot of use =-0

ok, well if it was Mario brothers maybe... just looked at the title again - dino soccer - haha, maybe not a lot of use.

Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    nice, although you could put some scuff marks on it, that cartridge would of seen a lot of use =-0
    Yup, definitely agree and will add all the usual bits-n-pieces of scuff to the textures when I get to that stage.

The test textures are from photo's from one of the cartridges here (Dino Soccer) I am using as a reference. I bought that game as a test for the SNES console (just the console, no controllers of anything else) I've had here for years but never tested. It was nice and cheap - ideal price should the console just not work anyway. I recently got FZero last week (hence why I decided to model a cartridge) and that ones got a handful more scuff on it. I'll post updates soon.
    -- --

-- --

Added a little more detailing - I think at this stage I should just texture the darn thing... All of this could easily be done with bump maps of course, but that's not as much fun...

Name:	now_w_nintendo.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	126788  
    -- --

-- --

Not perfect, but just had to render something before the weekend was over. Lot of fun for the odd spare moment I had over the weekend here... Something to come back to at a later date and create something visually more interesting (maybe model a little more stuff too).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNES_composition_v001_rgb_000.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	267.8 KB 
ID:	126791
    -- --

-- --

getting closer,
    there is some sort of blur on the wood, or are you doing some sort of blurring on the image?

on the right side of the cartridge, just under the vents, its kinda strange bump there, funny though it works on the rest of the cartridge, but on that curved edge under the vent its got that cg look to it.

just being picky, it's super - you nailed the electrode part, and overall it's very photorealistic.

check that wood texture, the veins should be nice and sharp.
    =)

Thanks for the critiques. Feedback is always appreciated...

The electro (I figure you mean the edge connector in the base) is the one part that literally has no actual textures - just a generic surface on that center piece and a default conductor for the contacts...

The wood texture is surprisingly 4k (even though it doesn't look that good) - I grabbed it online, but it is actually a bit blurry - so yes, it'd be something to replace (and I have a tonne of better textures buried on my other machine - Only just getting this newer workstation properly set up)

Here's another tweaked version. This time I've toned back the overall bumps (to something more accurate) and added some imperfections to the label. It still needs work (the screws need to be surfaced still - they're a little too 'chromey') and I don't think it'll be done until I have time to create a composition of sorts rather then render just the one object on its own...

Name:	LessBump_someFracDiff.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	126844  
    -- --

-- --

=) THE smudges are perfect, i think the previous bump before on the non curved areas was good, maybe a map to lesson the bump on the curved edges but stays the same as before on the rest. the last render seems to have almost no bump now.

I'm still trying to figure out normal maps too - have you tried those yet?

finally i've always thought of putting these on objects but have not yet done so, so here goes.. a thumb print detail =)

=)

can you render a bigger image on your next pass.
    pete

i just noticed it says pal - is pal also in new zealand?

A eulogy to beige eighties plastic computers everywhere, hard modelling is great lot of people would have gone for subs cuz they don't know better, so whats up next, console ?

THE smudges are perfect
    You can thank LW's procedural textures for that...

i think the previous bump before on the non curved areas was good, maybe a map to lesson the bump on the curved edges but stays the same as before on the rest.
    The bumps on the latest one are more 'realistic' (they are fairly subtle on the real thing as well) but sometimes pushing things to pop more like the previous bumps can appear more appealing to the eye.

I'm still trying to figure out normal maps too - have you tried those yet?
    For something like this where its really just a relief texture across a surface and not a large change in normal directions, the effect would be little to almost indistinguishable to just using bump.

Normal maps could be better - DPKit has a Bump-to-normal node that may be worth checking. I'll give it a test when I get back to this project. But - a normal map could be effective for placing indents and more 'physical' types of damage to the casing. Hmmm, that's something to try... Good suggestion.

i just noticed it says pal - is pal also in new zealand?
    Yup - 240v, AC, PAL... This side of the planet uses that standard (Australia as well)...
    -- --

-- --

interesting, i'm so used to everything in ntsc - i kinda of lost track too, is HD still NTSC?
    if you have HD there - whats the resolution? its 1920x1080 here - did that follow where you are? HD is HD everywhere?
    then were starting to see 4k tv's here with a resolution even greater. 4k tv is like looking at a still photograph, and then it moves and your blown away by the fidelity. i mean, wow. 4k tv's are really amazing, and here in hollywood - almost every 4k tv i see is 60" or above, so talk about the age we live in.

oh ya, digital fusion is free now - it has a make normal map filter - works pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    A eulogy to beige eighties plastic computers everywhere,
    Should be adding a little more yellow to the plastics to show their age... Most the gear here at home is in need of some retrobrighting as everything has the same lovely tan color tones... Well, except for the SNES carts which are all still lovely grey (obviously being kept in boxes and such).

hard modelling is great lot of people would have gone for subs cuz they don't know better
    Sadly true. Its almost like the mention of triangles, booleans or anything 'un-subpatched' is treated as being a little filthy these days. Of course, there WAS a time when 3D didn't have any form of subdivision or subpatching - and that's just how we rolled...

so whats up next, console ?
    No idea - but I have done so many 80's tech modeling projects I may as well keep going... We'll see where this weekend takes me.
    -- --

-- --

if you have HD there - whats the resolution? its 1920x1080 here - did that follow where you are? HD is HD everywhere?
    Yup - HD is HD everywhere. Its just old tech like the SNES and the other 8-bits I have here that keep PAL alive in the household...

oh ya, digital fusion is free now - it has a make normal map filter - works pretty good.
    Interesting - Haven't looked at Fusion for that purpose at all, but now I'm curious - perhaps I'll get some time later to play. Thanks for that heads up...
    Last edited by kevman3d; 02-05-2015 at 10:32 PM.
    -- --

-- --

Model-sheets-kinda...

Was just thinking, if anybody wants them, here are my photo's I used as reference for the model... Its of my other SNES game I bought to test the unit (Dino Dini's Soccer).

Of course, if I was smart, I would just map a photograph onto the 3D model rather then use generic procedurals... It'd look even more realistic... lol!

Name:	cart_top.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	126915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cart_front.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	126916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cart_bottom.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	126917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cart_back.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	126918  
    Last edited by kevman3d; 02-05-2015 at 10:31 PM.
    -- --

-- --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast