Thread: LWCAD - Select edge loop and THEN mass round?

LWCAD - Select edge loop and THEN mass round?

Hey all,

Can I select an edge loop to run LWCAD mass round on or do I have to select each edge individually? Having to select mass round and then select each edge gets a little time consuming. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi TSM,

Just click & drag outside the model to round all edges. If you set the angle threshold to 46, anything below 46 angle will not be affected. Just play with the Angle threshold and u understand. If u only want to round the top of a coffee cup, u could select the top (polygons), click & drag outside of the model. Mass round will only operate in the selected polygons and the assigned angle threshold.
    -------------------------------------
    Joined the Rebellion

Quote Originally Posted by Pensart View Post
    Hi TSM,

Just click & drag outside the model to round all edges. If you set the angle threshold to 46, anything below 46 angle will not be affected. Just play with the Angle threshold and u understand. If u only want to round the top of a coffee cup, u could select the top (polygons), click & drag outside of the model. Mass round will only operate in the selected polygons and the assigned angle threshold.
    Grr. That's what I was afraid of. So, essentially I can't select a ring of edges or polys (for example, around the top of a cup) and round only one side of the polys. (Like if I want just the inside edge of the lip of the cup rounded...)

That's very irritating.

Let's say, it's not the way we would like it to work I also would love to just select the edges and click & drag to round them. But, it's much better than the native solutions. And it's just another way of thinking. Just look at bandglue, i prefer to just select the edges and hit delete. but NT designed it different. So now you have to select the surrounding polygons and hit bandglue? How stupid is that? Only thing missing with MassRound is that u can't bevel without rounding the edges. U know what i mean, like an extra pair of edges to hold when subd. Let me call it square bevel.

To be honest, i would pay extra if they implemented the (nondestructive) bevel modifier of blender. In edit mode u select the edges u want to bevel. Mark those edges with bevel weight. And in the modifier u have lots of control. Round, square etc... but u could also use the bevel without edge weight and let it operate using an angle and lots of more settings. And if u dont like it u just throw away the bevel modifier and your model is back to original. Or just use the bevel command if u dont like modifiers. In Blender bevel works like a charm.

Maybe the next lwcad would have a better version? Who knows. Still LwCad is a must have and is an amazing plugin!
    Joined the Rebellion

Okay.... opening can of worms

!!***With all due respect to MassRound***!!

Why not just use Rounder? Easy as pie for what you're describing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 5.20.27 PM.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	126756
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

JoePoe, TSM is just asking how to use MassRound in general. No specific model or solution. And Rounder is not always the best Solution. MassRound is a great. Its just the way they implemented MR. It would feel more natural and artistminded to just select the edges or edgeloops an click-drag to round them.
    Joined the Rebellion

Yes you'll have to select the loop before entering MR or you can select multiple edges within MR. Would indeed be nice to directly select loops within using the arrow keys. But nevertheless a huge improvement compared to the built-in tools. Did you check out all the videos in the LWCAD manual yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEkZO755uD8

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I just sent a support message to the LWCAD folks with the suggestion to add the ability to select some edges and THEN run MR - like Rounder. I like MR better than Rounder because it's more stable (it seems) and can do what Rounder SHOULD be able to do but can't. That's a rant for another day.

Maybe this will be changed in LWCAD 5.

Good to have a consensus and more votes. I asked much the same question a year or so ago. I had an extremely detailed model and needed to round a certain set of edges. They numbered in the high tens. Tedious to individually select each edge after MR was activated, as they were high density and difficult to accurately hit. Had more than three do-overs when the selection got Borked along the way.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

FELLOW LIGHTWAVERS! I bring thee news from the front!

I had sent in a support email at the LWCAD website. Viktor Velicko of W-Tools replied that "Mass Round is replaced with completely new version in LWCAD 5."

So, it sounds like this is being fixed in LWCAD 5. Awesome!

For those who don't have LWCAD, now would be a good time to get it. You get a free upgrade to LWCAD 5 when it comes out.

PLEASE tell me that there is nothing left out from the earlier version..... I've been able to reliably round stuff I never thought possible with 4.5.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    PLEASE tell me that there is nothing left out from the earlier version..... I've been able to reliably round stuff I never thought possible with 4.5.
    I would imagine it would be complete, but time will tell. IF it's missing something when it is released, I imagine we can bug them to put it back in and use 4.x in the mean time. However, I doubt that would happen.

I think that's probably true. Viktor does great things. Just always raises a flag when something will be completely new.

I have fate in Viktor. Lets just hope 4.x will be out soon so we can play with those nice nurbs surfaces :P
    Joined the Rebellion

I had sent in a support email at the LWCAD website.
    Viktor Velicko of W-Tools replied that "Mass Round is replaced with completely new version in LWCAD 5"
    interesting!
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz