Thread: Which video editors have you tried/ are you considering trying?

Which video editors have you tried/ are you considering trying?

Hi,
    I was introduced to Speed Edit while a student at Chattanooga State in Chat, Tennessee back in 2009. After trying atleast a few others and having a huge amount of difficult with Adobe After Effects, I finally settled on SpeedEdit and Edius 6.x.

What do you use/are you considering trying?

btw, Edius has a free trial and version 7 is quite incredible.
    former Chattanooga State graphics program student.

youtube videos that show the power of NewTek products:
    http://youtu.be/W5uUzLSttdo
    http://youtu.be/PXqmTZMtAj8
    http:/youtu.be/6voXVZjzGXQ

hi:
    I use premiere,and I am very happy with it.
    I am considering getting a used video toaster.
    -Mobilis In Mobile-

Look into Black Magic DaVinci Resolve.
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...davinciresolve

I currently use Sony Vegas Pro, but will be trying out Black Magic DaVinci Resolve and most likely switch to that since I use Black Magic Fusion as a compositor. Is SpeedEdit even being developed anymore? I've got two licenses and it was so slow to improve I ended up with Vegas Pro. And Premiere? Only if you want to rent. Better to go with the free version of DaVinci Resolve.

I looked at a bunch of them not long ago, Found DaVinci ok but slow compared to Premiere, love or hate rental Premiere is defintley the tops, and when working with after effects I dont think it can be beat. Never tried final cut, dont use a mac.

There is also Hitfilm which is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D Kiwi View Post
    There is also Hitfilm which is cheap.
    Hitfilm is free, quite often, when you upgrade Vegas.

True, just wish it was faster and more stable.

Final Cut Pro X and Motion for me.

I think Vegas is the fastest Iīve tried for editing and probably the most intutitive of them all.
    The problem being, for a recent pro project I had to stop using it because it was impossible to export anything useable by ProTools for the audio technician to make his magic, which is a typical problem with these kind of Prosumer products. Until Vegas doesnīt fix that kind of pipeline issues it will never be regarded seriously.

Had to resort to Premiere which to my surprise has improved quite a lot in the last years. Being able to synchronize automagically my video with crappy audio, along with my good audio recording, saved me hours!
    So, I love Sony Vegas, but only for personal stuff because of the annoying mentioned stuff.

I keep an eye on Davinci Resolve because editing-wise itīs still not there, but I hope eventually it will. At that moment, coupled with its colour grading capabilities, Fusion companion and unbeatable price, it will become irresistible.
    Last edited by Netvudu; 01-29-2015 at 08:12 PM.
    3d animation? Hah! Did you take a look through your window?thereīs plenty of it...and pre-rendered!!

Mostly Final Cut Pro X, Motion and After Effects CS6 with a little HitFilm thrown in. My hope is that between Fusion, Motion and HitFilm, I can just dump Adobe.

Sony Vegas for 15 years now and I completely swear by it. Before that I used Premier which was - to be fair - a completely different app than it is now. But for me I can always do everything I need in Vegas. Quite under appreciated is the support for sound. Before they released the Video version which was built on the sound version, Vegas was one of the first software only solutions to sound as an alternative to something like Protools. Before they added video, it was already a wonderful sound NLE app that was way ahead of its time and few people realize that it set the standard for sound editing. It had features no other apps had at the time and now have all emulated. Of course now the playing field has leveled. But I still find the sound editing in Vegas to be top notch. It just sounds great. And it is easy to use and having it all in the same interface is great. Way too many people do not appreciate the importance of good sound. Before I was even a filmmaker I was a musician and sound engineer. So I used other analog and digital solutions for years before Vegas came along. When I was introduced to it I saw how innovative it was as a sound app. No one was doing what they were doing at that time. Really. And so when they added Video it was an easy decision to upgrade and I stuck with it until it had enough features to also take over as my Video NLE. I have done tons of editing with it including a feature film a few years ago. As I said, things have changed in the last decade. But for the price you can not beat what you are getting. And if you care, check out Sound Forge which is a great app for editing sound files.

Edit: And I completely forgot about the free BM solution. Certainly worth looking into.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 01-30-2015 at 09:47 AM.