Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Janus EOL

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Between that and LScript's innate instability, Lernie (Janus) and Phil (PassPort) both deserve medals for maintaining them as long as they did.
    Thanks for the award! I also think we all should get a a medal sticking with LW, and the devs should get medals for trying to take it out of legacy-land.

Opinion: editing text files (.lws) is only hackish when I didn't have an SDK for scene file writing to use, but I didn't think that that was my problem when I sorted it out. The issue was everything else: object surfaces (overrides), combining objects (to share render settings). In retrospect I still can't say if the separation of object and scene is good or bad, because in one hand, having them separated simplified the parsing of the .lws. On the other, you had to manage all the objects in their place in the .lws.

I looked at Janus about a year ago, and I'm sure it's absolutely wonderful, but never got into it because it was so incomprehensible.
    Ah yes, well, it is an unfortunate thing. I did try -- really I did -- about three separate periods, trying to go over what I had done before and simplify the explanation more and more.

I think that no matter how many convenience features I put in, or made videos with simplified explanations, many just saw the unfamiliar interface and terminologies and concepts. Janus runs off external configs which could have made it possible to write a unique front-end for anyone's personal tastes, and would have made all the terminologies and concepts run invisibly in the background. But writing it would have taken a long time. And my passion lay in making Janus's core better not writing front-ends, so I never gotten around to doing it. I figured that if people really needed its functionality -- ie desperately -- they'd give it a go regardless of its seeming difficulty. I say 'seeming' because people actually get up to speed to it; and down the line, I'm happy when they say something like 'I can't imagine using LW without Janus.' It means a lot to their workflow. And that's cool because that's what I set out to do. I don't think Janus would have been very effective breakout system if I designed it with a 'traditional LW' approach -- whatever that may mean.

It really shame that it has so low userbase.
    Yes, but perhaps pinkmouse's comments reflect the reason. Perhaps the more natural market are bigger studios, but bigger studios would have more resources to write their own thing. So Janus seems like it's floating in the middle, in purgatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Thanks for all your efforts regarding Janus. It has saved hundreds, if not even thousands, of hours of manual work within LW. The sad part about this is that so few LW-users got to understand how valuable tool it is.

And many many many thanks to you, Mikael, for tooting the Janus trumpet very strongly, and for a long time, too! Folks, let it be known: I did not pay Mikael to be my marketing arm, ok? Mikael, thanks for your bug reports, and most of all, for your encouragement.

To those existing users who are expressing concern about updates: if you need Janus to be maintained, I am available to work out any issues -- just contact me -- but it will be as paid support.

And I would like to express genuine thanks to the small band of Janus adopters, not because they bought a licence, but because they bought the idea.
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by faulknermano View Post
    And I would like to express genuine thanks to the small band of Janus adopters, not because they bought a licence, but because they bought the idea.
    To me, this speaks volumes. Ideas, concepts, approaches and solid work to achieve the intended result are what it is all about.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Agreed Spherical, we had regular updates and Lernie was always improving it. It took me ages to get my head around but you could then see how powerful Janus was. Lernie is right it was probably more attractive to major studios but yes they of course have their own coders and the LW base is allot smaller. Im glad to hear Lernie will provide some paid support for updates.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

I am in a same boat as Pinkmouse and 3DGFXstudios. I tried a couple of time to get into it because I am sure it could improve greatly my workflow but it ended I gave up because of inappropriate learning material. I had the feeling I will have to start from scratch every time I need it. Shame to see it go, indeed.
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

I found the whole thing a bit complex. I just didn't like the workflow. I think a render layer system should fit in a single scene file so it's easy so send to a render farm (local and commercial)

Quote Originally Posted by Every4thPixel View Post
    I think a render layer system should fit in a single scene file so it's easy so send to a render farm (local and commercial)
    Conceptually, I agree with this. But I couldn't wait for NT as some people could.
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12