Thread: Moving points along an Edge?

Moving points along an Edge?

I have a subD object that I'm cutting a hole in and need to change the size of the hole without distorting the object. All I need to do is move points along the edges of the subD object. What tool can I use to do this? I have LWCAD and TrueArt stuff, if it helps!

Yes, thanks! Sorry should have said I tried that but it doesn't work on a mac. No LW2015 tool?

Curved surface. I've got around it by Adding Edges and deleting what I don't need, for now. Would be good to find a better method, I could find a use for this for pretty much everything!

So the "edit edges" tool doesn't work for this?
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    So the "edit edges" tool doesn't work for this?
    That would be my suggestion too, but it seems like Edit Edges doesn't do it's thing on an open hole.

There is WedgeSlide, which I used to use all the time before Edit Edges.
    It's got a numeric input only so it's not the most fluid workflow..... but it does the job.
    You can get the points to update in your workspace with the tool still active by hitting tab after changing an input field before actually committing, which drops the tool.
    Last edited by JoePoe; 01-21-2015 at 12:26 PM.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Right, maybe try selecting the edges of the hole and then extrude that in using 'e'. Select the original edgeloop and then edit edges should work I think. Then delete any excess polys. Granted edit edges will not work (to my knowlege) on verts with more than 2 intersections.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 01-21-2015 at 12:08 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by raw-m View Post
    I have a subD object that I'm cutting a hole in and need to change the size of the hole without distorting the object. All I need to do is move points along the edges of the subD object. What tool can I use to do this? I have LWCAD and TrueArt stuff, if it helps!
    Swift Edge Loop did you tried?
    Select 2 polygons, working in selection mode, LMB on edge between polys and move.

Big thanks for all your responses! WedgeSlide and Swift Edge Loop look like they do the same thing so I've gone with the latter as I have it and it's much more interactive. The downside is that they only work with a minimum of 2 point, if I just want to edit the one point I'll have to add edges - not a biggie though - good find.

Sensei - got anything in there that will allow me to extend a point over an open edge, bit like StrechPoint?

For a single point can't you use Axis translate?
    ..... to move beyond an edge (open or not) there is still the old Translate Plus.
    Last edited by JoePoe; 01-22-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Axis translate - that was it, thanks JoePoe. Never used in single points before but it works a treat - makes cutting hole in things a lot easier. Would be much quicker if it operated just in the single point I was over rather than translate the hole mesh, I have to select a single point, then move, select another point, move.... Good solution otherwise

Hiya.

What I've found that works the best for me is to use the new Transform widget and use it's right-click feature to select what I want it to be based on. You can select a point, use Transform Tool, then right click on the edge you want to "slide/move" the point along. The widget will align to it. It's still a bit clunky, but overall after forcing myself to get used to it, it gets the job done. I still wish there was a way to just "keep it on" (the widget) as a default so all I have to to is hit my hotkey for points, edges, polygons or object and BOOM, I'm moving, scaling and rotating as needed...instead of having to re-select "Translate" after every operation. Gods, if LW could just be as smooth to use as Hexagon I'd be in heaven! *dream bubble above head...*

^_^

Paul L. Ming

And also, Segment Scale, a tool somebody pointed out fairly recently that I had never noticed. Very useful.