Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LightWave on Digital Tutors

Maybe Digital Tutors should speak to the Lightwave gurus and work with them on lightwave special effects lessons.

Just finished watching the tutorial and I must say that's it's VERY well done and I learned quite a bit. I've been using LW since v3 on the Amiga but never had need for many of the modeling tools used in this tute AND didn't know how to use them. Kudos to Phil for making this great tutorial that is easy to follow and well-paced!

That's great. I felt like it was going to be too repetitive because they required that I show everything. In later parts I did pause the recording during some of the reptitive stuff and thankfully they didn't complain. Some of that wold have added an extra hour of just me deleting polys and such.

hope you don't mind I quoted you.
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/+PhilNol...ts/2iNg5msjXFE
    Last edited by Philbert; 01-29-2015 at 08:49 PM.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    That's great. I felt like it was going to be too repetitive because they required that I show everything. In later parts I did pause the recording during some of the reptitive stuff and thankfully they didn't complain. Some of that wold have added an extra hour of just me deleting polys and such.
    Funny you mention that, because when you started doing some of the cleanup I actually groaned thinking "oh god, I hope he doesn't ---" and then you cut it and started the next area. VERY much appreciated. Once you've gone over it and showed what you were doing it was sufficient and you didn't need to reshow it again and again. IMO I don't think there was any fluff or unnecessary talking - just meat. (Although I am a vegetarian, I didn't mind. )

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Any way to promote LW and more training, that's great!

Actually looking forward to more tutorials. Hopefully this will be a trend at Digital Tutors. Best of luck!

I've watched a bit of this and what I've seen so far is superb. Just a slight pity we couldn't get hold of the blueprint images as with the free 72 hour thing you can't download project files. In the long run for me though no big deal as I will re-activate my account with them. Well done Philbert, really great job on both the model and your teaching style.
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

Quote Originally Posted by adrian View Post
    I've watched a bit of this and what I've seen so far is superb. Just a slight pity we couldn't get hold of the blueprint images as with the free 72 hour thing you can't download project files. In the long run for me though no big deal as I will re-activate my account with them. Well done Philbert, really great job on both the model and your teaching style.
    Just Google "Helicopter Blueprints" and there are tons of images just like Phil used - perhaps you can even find the same one - and then follow along with the tute. I like the fact that you can use it for ANY copter (etc.) I wish I had some free time to do something similar from scratch. One of these days...

I just noticed Lightwave finally made it onto the list of software on DT!

Yeah talking to them directly didn't work. Apparently if you want something done you have to tweet about it. I said "It's frustrating that @Digital_Tutors doesn't have LightWave in their software list even though they teach it." then I got a reply and it was fixed within hours.
    ~~Phil Nolan

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon2.0 View Post
    Just Google "Helicopter Blueprints" and there are tons of images just like Phil used - perhaps you can even find the same one - and then follow along with the tute. I like the fact that you can use it for ANY copter (etc.) I wish I had some free time to do something similar from scratch. One of these days...
    I think I mentioned in the tutorial that the blueprints came form http://the-blueprints.com . You can just search for Bell 407 and find the ones I used.
    ~~Phil Nolan

If anyone is interested, I have a code to give out for 30 days to watch this tutorial. I just need an email address so you can PM me or contact me some other way (Twitter: @philnolan3d , email: phil (at) philnolan3d (dot) com , Google+: +Phil Nolan).

BTW I finally got them to update the cover image for the tutorial, no more solid red helicopter on black background.
    ~~Phil Nolan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234