Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Layout will not launch with modeler running

Layout will not launch with modeler running

Layout will not launch with modeler running and vice versa.

This is a new development...not sure what caused it.
    When launching modeler from inside layout, through the start menu or the hub....it will not start until I close layout. Then it will instantly pop open.
    Same goes for modeler.

After launching...I can see in my windows task manager process setting's that modeler is there....but the app will not appear onscreen until the other is closed.

I am sure this is a hub issue....not sure why it popped up now

Nevermind....

Kaspersky expired...removing it fixed problem

EDIT: The problem did temporarily go away. Now it is back. Neither program will launch while the other is active.
    Hub is completely disabled and still have the same behavior.
    Last edited by m.d.; 01-02-2015 at 06:18 PM.

What version of LightWave!?

The problem is back after re-enabling Kaspersky? Turn it off and see what happens. Kaspersky's rules would still be in effect after update. If, due to those rules, LightWave is sensing that another copy is running on the network (where it really is the same copy; just the companion application) it would act like this.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

I am having the same issue.
    In win8.xx, I see several lw layouts TRYING to start but with no luck.
    This is after a crash.

What's not showing up is the old message, "process is already running."
    Something is amiss.
    Edit: this is with 2015 and 11.6xx.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

I am just having the problems with 2015 and 2015.1
    11.6 working ok

I completely turned off kaspersky and same issue.....something to check in the morning I guess

I am getting same issue as Robert
    Multiple processes of layout or modeller shown running but none start, until I close the app and multiple instances of modeller or layout then appear
    Last edited by m.d.; 01-02-2015 at 10:45 PM.

No help, not having any issues here (and I'm running eight versions of LightWave on 32-bit and 64-bit, including 2015.1), as are the majority of users, else there would be an avalanche of similar reports. Hence, we need to determine the common factors of the users experiencing this issue.

SO!
    • When did this start?
    • What changed just prior? (Install something? Uninstall something? Something you forgot about or disregarded as inconsequential? OS update?)
    • Start with fresh configs?
    • Start the OS with minimal startup applications/services?

There has to be a common denomintator.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

There are some instances with Lightwave where it will require you to exit modeler and close out any instances of Layout in the task manager that may be present, but aren't functioning. After ensuring both layout and modeler are closed, they should re-open without issues. The problem typically happens after certain layout crashes, but I haven't managed to pinpoint exactly when it happens.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

I appreciate the input guys....

I have a hard time pointing anything out that would have changed.

The most obvious is, kapersky expired.....I bought a new version, removed the old and installed the new. The old was Kaspersky internet security, and the new is just anti virus.

I have disabled that and still have the same issues. There may have been a windows update.....and I have installed Fusion studio...using the dongle they sent me.

I deleted configs, disabled the HUB, added windows firewall exceptions for Layout and modeler and HUB.

This is only happening in BOTH the 2015 versions....the 11 series is running fine.

I have since uninstalled 2015....leaving 2015.1

I am going to investigate further

Mine is occurring when/after using Octane. That is the constant for me.
    Otherwise, it can/will start back up after a crash, for example.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

works in safe mode....so obviously a background process

But licensing does not....will only run in discovery mode. Anyone know the service or app responsible for licensing in lightwave

EDIT: it appears to be the same with 11.6 as well now
    Last edited by m.d.; 01-04-2015 at 12:57 AM.

Interestingly enough....

I can get 2015 and 11.6 to talk to each other (launch 2015 layout and 11.6 modeler) and they will send data back and forth through the hub....

But both 2015, and 11.6 will not allow their companion apps to run while the other is

Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    Interestingly enough....

I can get 2015 and 11.6 to talk to each other (launch 2015 layout and 11.6 modeler) and they will send data back and forth through the hub....
    I realize you are testing but running cross-versions through a Hub of another version can really spell trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    EDIT: it appears to be the same with 11.6 as well now
    And this is probably the result.
    Last edited by spherical; 01-04-2015 at 02:17 AM.

I had problems like this (and mysteriously occuring discovery mode) in the past. In my case it was always related to the Windows Firewall.

Main problem I identified:
    I have a security package running that came with its own Firewall. Due to that I disabled the Windows Firewall INCLUDING the Windows Firewall service. This was a mistake. The LW installer needs the service to create rules for the Windows Firewall even if I don't use it at all. And LW needs the Win Firewall service to start. If there was something wrong I got Discovery Mode and other strange behaviour.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Firewall_001.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	322.8 KB 
ID:	126395

Secondary problems:
    Sometimes it seems that those Win Firewall rules get messed up somehow. Maybe due to my mistake above or by Win updates or reinstalling LW or the security package or whatever.

What I found out is:
    that for me it did not help to delete the Win Firewall rules and create them manually again.

After learning this, I did the following:

• I saved all my configs and custom plugins folder of the different LW versions
    • Uninstalled all LWs
    • Took care the Win Firewall service was running
    • Deleted all LW related Win Firewall rules manually in case they were still there
    • Installed each version of LW again
    • Checked that each installer of each version of LW had its Win Firewall rule created
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Firewall_003.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	126394
    • Created a rule set in my personal Firewall (the one that came with the security package) to allow the LW components to talk to each other

Furthermore I take care that I always close the HUB in case I switch to a different LW version (running different versions of HUB and Modeler or Layout seems to be not good).

This solved it for me. No problems with Discovery Mode, no LW processes never coming up, no ultra long starting time for an LW process.
    But I don't know if this can help with your problems as well.

Quote Originally Posted by madno View Post
    I had problems like this (and mysteriously occuring discovery mode) in the past. In my case it was always related to the Windows Firewall.
    I just disabled firewall completely and it did not seem to solve it, although I may try your procedure just to make sure.
    Thanks for the detailed post....it will either help me or someone in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    I realize you are testing but running cross-versions through a Hub of another version can really spell trouble.

And this is probably the result.

Ya I hear ya.....but it cant get much worse.
    Not being able to have both Modeler and Layout open at the same time due to a glitch is a pretty powerful argument for a unified app

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast