Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Layout will not launch with modeler running

I have no doubt it's good. Comodo Firewall is good too. Have had it running for years. It picks up threats all the time. And it's free. Then out of the blue Lightwave stops working? It's definitely a change in the way 8.1 handed stuff I'm sure. I just wish someone could find it.

You get what you pay for. Always has been the case. Might be "free" for a while.... but, then, we've always known that there's no free lunch and the "payment" comes along; one way or another. Stick to "free" if you like. Been there, done that. Some things just aren't worth the hassle.

It all boils down to this: Do you want to spend untold amounts of billable time (whether you are a hobbiest or a freelancer or working at a studio makes NO difference) chasing this or just get something that is capable and works?
    Last edited by spherical; 03-18-2015 at 02:49 AM.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

I don't disagree with you in general. However, Comodo firewall, which I have been using for a good few years has never been an issue, and still is not an issue with every piece of software I use, except Lightwave. Also, there are people here who are using other pieces of software (some commercial) which are having the same issue. If noone knows for sure what is causing teh problem, how do I know that if I invest in paid software to do the job, that it will work? And what recourse will I have if noone is going to 'own' the problem. This is three pieces of software that used to play nice (Windows, Lightwave, Comodo) and now they don't. However, there doesn't seem to be any focus on fixing it.

And what do the folks at Comodo say?

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrobb View Post
    If noone knows for sure what is causing teh problem, how do I know that if I invest in paid software to do the job, that it will work?
    This is a key point, IMO. Just changing software is no solution, esp. if any given pkg might suddenly become a "problem firewall" (which it could due to lack of clear root cause analysis). A lot of the arguments being made in this thread are anecdotal, based on very small sample sizes, rely on false causative assertions, etc. Without knowing what is causing the problem, the problem could easily occur with any firewall depending on config. The approach being taken isn't really ruling anything out, so lacks diagnostic value.

LW is having the problem, so initially it is LW3DG who bear the responsibility for solving it, or showing that they are not responsible for it, period. If they want to blame firewalls, then they need to prove that LW's expectations are not "unusual" (incl. full documentation of what those requirements are for proper function), and show by error path or whatever that the problem is because the firewall (or whatever) IS NOT meeting some specific requirement ("LW requires inb traffic on port 1022 and isn't receiving any"). Until they can do that, the responsibility still rests with them.

Gordon, call LW support (or call their main phone number and ask for support, whatever), explain the problem, etc. Until they can tell you why the app isn't working, there's absolutely no reason to think the problem lies elsewhere.
    Last edited by jwiede; 03-18-2015 at 07:23 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

i did call newtek...the response was "we dont have time to troubleshoot every third party firewall"

didn't have the time to screw around so I just uninstalled kaspersky

I honestly haven't contacted Comodo. Didn't even think to. They don't have a problem. I'm with jwiede on this. It's Newtek that have a problem. I suppose if I contacted comodo, they may be able to help me identify what it is actaully picking up, but if its only causing a problem with this one programme on my system, it's hard to imagine they will have any desire to do anything other than suggest that Newtek have a problem. Someone there (in my opionion) should be at least having a look at what has changed (probably with Windows) that is now making this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    i did call newtek...the response was "we dont have time to troubleshoot every third party firewall"
    The proper response to that is "What, in LW's logs/console/whatever, specifically indicates why the app failed to start?" "App didn't start" isn't a "specific cause" by itself, something caused the app to fail during start, and it is their responsibility to show that event was triggered by other than LW itself (if they intend to blame others).

"We don't have time to troubleshoot every third party firewall" is a cop-out, they haven't convincingly shown causation has anything to do with firewalls. They are being asked to troubleshoot LW failing to start, and that is their job. If they refuse to do that, escalate to LW3DG management.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

What he said!

In this case, I agree, too. That is a totally BS answer to come back to a customer with and, at the very least, there should be a comeuppance dispatched; if for nothing else than lack of tact. Certainly not good CR/PR.

I detect my way. Turn off ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, run Modeler an Layout 2015.3x64 and turn again on antivirus.

Yeah i had to get in the habit of closing the hub program before restarting lightwave (After a crash Or lockup). Otherwise i would get issues like the ones you are describing.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

LW Beta Team Lead and Customer Support Lead DigitalDeuce's Avatar
    One thing that I just learned, is on ASUS machines, or other systems, you might have "ROG Game First III" -- disable this service, and you should be good. Not sure if this is what you're finding, but worth knowing about.
    ~~Deuce
    LW Customer Service Lead
    LW Beta Team Lead

DaveyWaver
    Hi DigitalDeuce,

Thank you, this fixed the problem for me so far

Just ran into this problem out of the blue with LW2018 and 2015. Taking advice from DigitalDeuce I uninstalled ROG Game First III and now Layout and Modeler work together again. Thanks!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast