Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FReq: Better "Build Null Object" dialog -- really, just one thing

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Kryslin, thanks, you've definitely gone beyond the call of duty here. I hope the experience was enjoyable.

Showss once again that the people who use the tools have the best insights into what they need.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Very impressive.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Here's a look at the final UI:

Finally figured out how to trap not having anything selected to parent to. This thing should be fairly bullet proof, now.

Final should be up tomorrow, around noon CST.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    So, how do you feel about the buttons versus the menu? To me, it looks MUCH more immediate, less info hiding.

Great job!

How do I feel? Same Functionality, Different Look. Feel is nearly the same. Some people will like it, some will hate it. It gets the job done and doesn't crash. Really, that's what I care about.

The final version is attached to this post.
    -If you do not have an item selected before running this script, the "Parent to Selection" check box is disabled.
    -In order to edit the color values, you must check the appropriate check box.

Things I could tweak - when making a null chain, I could translate it down the Z-Axis by the item's scale value. Ideally, I should let the user set the value, but that panel is getting awfully busy. Adding Global Store / Recall functionality, so it 'remembers' what values you prefer to start with. And while presets are a neat idea, I have -no- idea on how to implement them in lscript.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Buttons over menu:
    Subtracts both a click AND mouse navigation. Losing those, esp the latter, is a big win for me.

So long as it does the job.

Something else that comes to mind; certain shapes aren't fillable. I'll need to figure out a way to trap that, too. I don't know what LW_ItemShape will do, given a ball shape and a fill flag... (probably crash, taking LW with it...)
    Last edited by Kryslin; 01-03-2015 at 12:41 PM.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

Would it be possible to have remove the "Multiple Nulls" checkbox and have the null chain box only active if the quantity value is 2 or higher? Having the check to make multiples is redundant.

Similarly, the null shape checkbox is redundant if it were to just default to standard.
    Last edited by meatycheesyboy; 01-03-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by meatycheesyboy View Post
    Similarly, the null shape checkbox is redundant if it were to just default to standard.
    So, Item_Shape would always be applied?

In practical terms this is probably fine. I can see someone craving that level of control, but,.... meh.

NOTE that disabling Item_Shape is not quite the same as not having it applied at all: if applied but disabled, the usual null display is suppressed, or so my efforts suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    So, Item_Shape would always be applied?

In practical terms this is probably fine. I can see someone craving that level of control, but,.... meh.

NOTE that disabling Item_Shape is not quite the same as not having it applied at all: if applied but disabled, the usual null display is suppressed, or so my efforts suggest.
    You're right, setting to default to standard would make item shape always applied, so I guess that's probably not something that should be done. In that case, I would remove the item shape checkbox and make a new button called default that creates a null without item shape applied, put it on the left of the standard button and make it selected by default. That would save a click when creating nulls with shapes. Currently, to create a box null you have to click the checkbox then click on box, with my setup, you'd just click on box.

Either way, great job Kryslin.
    Last edited by meatycheesyboy; 01-03-2015 at 05:54 PM.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I don't like that because if you just need a plain null, why are you using this plugin in the first place??-- the whole point of "Build Null" was to make adding Item_Shape semi-automatic.

Defaulting to no shape is pointless. Just use "Add Null", not "Build Null".

I disagree with you on this one. The entire point of your original request was to expose the advanced controls in the normal add null dialog, letting someone create either a regular null or an advanced null in one place without the extra button click. I see this tool as a replacement to the current dialog not an addition. Why have two tools?
    Last edited by meatycheesyboy; 01-03-2015 at 05:18 PM.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

I'll look at it, re : Multiple Null check box, quantity, and make null chain. I think my code is flexible enough to allow for it.

If you just press OK, lightwave adds the null, with the name you specify; If you had used the Add Null command, the same thing would have happened, and LW_Itemshape would NOT be applied to the null. This is the same behavior exhibited by the Add Null dialog. Why "Standard" is included as an item shape for the LW_ItemShape plugin, I have no clue.
    Last edited by Kryslin; 01-03-2015 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Clarification
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    There used to be a ADD NULL command which did only that: BUILD NULL was an enhancement of that, but as described, a very poorly designed one.

I make a distinction between the original ADD NULL and the BUILD NULL routines.

I think I'm going to leave things they way they are, with the exception of one very minor bit - the default quantity for multiple nulls will become 2, instead of 1. I want to play around with global store / recall, and figure out what data should be stored, and which I can ignore...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast