Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modo forums and users?

Modo forums and users?

so..while evaluating some modo stuff, and have been from time to time..I am not that active in those forums, but occasionally I get the chance to try modo now and then.
    But..I am a little scared of the modo forum being so inactive, often it takes ages for someone to reply, if I get any..and the replies are very few, so I just wonder...may it be due to much lesser Modo users? than compared to users availably in the community here on newtek forums?

I love the Lightwave community and how fast we often can help out each other here, I am actually thinking that it might be better to ask modo questions here, though it might not fit any newtek forum threads so to speak.

Iīm just curious to why it seem to be so inactive..either they have a thing against me or there are simply not the same amount of registred users over there?, canīt believe it has anything to do with the actual software to do.

what I do like about the modo forums though, it is the way their gallery section is handled, much better than we have here.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    But..I am a little scared of the modo forum being so inactive, often it takes ages for someone to reply, if I get any..and the replies are very few, so I just wonder...may it be due to much lesser Modo users? than compared to users availably in the community here on newtek forums?
    Odd, I don't know the actual numbers but my gut would have thought there would be more Modo users than LW. Maybe that's just my innate LW sense of inferiority.

I love the Lightwave community and how fast we often can help out each other here, I am actually thinking that it might be better to ask modo questions here, though it might not fit any newtek forum threads so to speak.

Iīm just curious to why it seem to be so inactive..either they have a thing against me or there are simply not the same amount of registred users over there?, canīt believe it has anything to do with the actual software to do.

Michael
    I would think asking Modo questions that don't involve LW at all would be kinda a no-no. It'd be different if you were asking how to get something from one to the other but just Modo questions on their own would be kinda odd. It'd be like asking how to rig in Maya on here. The snarky answer would be "go ask someone on a Maya forum"

Is cgtalk any better?
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    Odd, I don't know the actual numbers but my gut would have thought there would be more Modo users than LW. Maybe that's just my innate LW sense of inferiority.

I would think asking Modo questions that don't involve LW at all would be kinda a no-no. It'd be different if you were asking how to get something from one to the other but just Modo questions on their own would be kinda odd. It'd be like asking how to rig in Maya on here. The snarky answer would be "go ask someone on a Maya forum"

Is cgtalk any better?
    Exactly, workflow topics of interchange is probably most welcomed, other stuff releated solely to modo I donīt think this is the place for, though I wonder if it wouldnīt be more effective to get replies here, but thatīs not why newtek holds these forums open to us for.

Cgtalk? donīt know..I donīt go there anymore since the lightwave forums was so small/non active..maybe it is better in the modo section?..I might have a look.

Cgtalk? donīt know..I donīt go there anymore since the lightwave forums was so small/non active..maybe it is better in the modo section?..I might have a look.
    I only go to cgtalk to check news and the general discussion area. Even then I visit cgtalk rarely. That forum is a bit intense at times for my taste.

I'm not sure what the go-to place for cg discourse is really anymore.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

My impression is the same when it comes to amount of Modo users, more than LW. As far as lack of responses to your posts goes, my experiences are generally the same as yours. But I blame it more on myself....lack of activity on my behalf....maybe some attitude on top of that...point being that it is as with any group of people. you don't spend time to get to know them, what can you expect? But in general I find the Modo community to be the best 3d/cg related forum out there
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 12-29-2014 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedpup View Post
    My impression is the same when it comes to amount of Modo users, more than LW. As far as lack of responses to your posts goes, my experiences are generally the same as yours. But I blame it more on myself....lack of activity on my behalf....maybe some attitude on top of that...point being that it is as with any group of people. you don't spend time to get to know them, what can you expect? But in general I find the Modo community to be the best 3d/cg related forum out there
    The actual amount of replies to posts in the modo forums, seem to be very low..often just one reply or something, either they indeed solve the issue much simpler with just one reply, and donīt go spin off to something else, or it is in fact
    much lower interest in responding or to few users engage in the forums.

Michael

The actual amount of replies to posts in the modo forums, seem to be very low..often just one reply or something, either they indeed solve the issue much simpler with just one reply, and donīt go spin off to something else
    Maybe they're better at staying on topic in their threads, therefore less posts. Whereas when LW threads go over a certain number of pages I tend to stop following as that usually indicates it's gone off the rails.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    Maybe they're better at staying on topic in their threads, therefore less posts. Whereas when LW threads go over a certain number of pages I tend to stop following as that usually indicates it's gone off the rails.
    nuff said..no more posts please

but..yeah, that was what I thought too.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I was checking CreativeCow for you, and not only do they not have a Modo forum, AFAICT, they don't have any NewTek/Tricaster stuff, which is a bit more in their wheelhouse.

Surprised. It's like an Apple/Adobe help line over there. OTOH, they have a Syntheyes forum??? wth?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

oh corks
    ...the modo forum being so inactive, often it takes ages for someone to reply...
    Well, hah. I've only just found this thread because I've kind of given up with the General Discussion area. (NewTek plainly seems to want the LW peeps to all go off to LW-Community to chat and that's fine because I can see their point, we really did monopolise the general NT area. It's just one more nudge towards the idea that the LW section of the forums might be better off as a stand-alone forum.)

Also, I don't know why the modo forum is like it is. It's always been like that though. It isn't that the people are unfriendly or anything, it's just that somehow it's never felt like a warm, welcoming place. It's never felt like a community. That might even be because they don't have an area that they treat like we used to treat General Discussion, with all kinds of daft threads about entertaining things and all kinds of people BSing about whatever comes to mind.

I think they almost certainly have a lot more users now. Once V-Ray for modo hits I expect that'll drive up their numbers too. No idea why the forum is so quiet, but maybe it's because they're all too cool to use something as 1990s as a forum. To be fair, this place is much quieter than it used to be as well. Maybe everybody uses FaceBook for this stuff now? (Gak! Ptui!)

...it might be better to ask modo questions here...
    Hah!

Not sure that would be... umm... the right thing to do.

Also, and finally, as a bit of a snarky dig (but in a caring way, as Dame Edna would say), at least we can have a discussion about modo here without anybody turning into a spittle-flecked, bile-spewing lunatic, and at least we can mention LW without everything immediately turning into a bitter discussion about Core. Right?

You want a hyperactive comunity in the modo forum?

Just add "LW" in your title thread...

:-D

I have found the exact opposite experience. I dont think my road to python scripting would have been as easy without the MODO community. The amount of activity in the gallery sections is impressive and the Foundry teams involvement in the forums is better than any other dev team imho.
    Last edited by WilliamVaughan; 01-07-2015 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamVaughan View Post
    I have found the exact opposite experience. I dont think my road to python scripting would have been as easy without the MODO community. The amount of activity in the gallery sections is impressive and the Foundry teams involvement in the forums is better than any other dev team imho.
    Yes having owned Modo for years now and frequenting the Modo forums regularly I would have to agree with this assessment. I also think there has been a slight drop in forum activity everywhere in recent years due to the popularity of social media. I still prefer posting on forums though. I remember a time when these Lightwave forums were a super active busy meeting place for users and would really like to see a return to those glory days.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I remember a time when these Lightwave forums were a super active busy meeting place for users and would really like to see a return to those glory days.
    I miss those days as well.

Quote Originally Posted by scratch33 View Post
    You want a hyperactive comunity in the modo forum?

Just add "LW" in your title thread...

:-D
    And Core. The same people talking about it here and there.

The low activity there could be an effect of the impending sale of the Foundry to the highest bidder. Some people have already voiced concern and will not be upgrading to 901 until they know who buys the Foundry. Can't blame them.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast