Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunset Building WIP

Creator of the Grid

Sunset Building WIP

Hi,

I'm starting on my first (hopefully) competently organized project, intended for the lightwave gallery.

It's a rooftop sunset scene...

Here's the basic composition.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Composition.PNG 
Views:	211 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	126273

Because it would clog up the forum if I asked every question I need an answer to, I will be consolidating all my questions to this thread. Please feel free to give feedback, suggestions, critique, etc.

Thanks in advance!

OK, so here's my first question:

I'm making the wall detail shown here.

Name:	Building.PNG 
Views:	179 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	126276

I've made this detail using boolean to cut into the wall.

This is the result.

Name:	Render.PNG 
Views:	172 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	126272

I need to add this level of detail to the wall.

Name:	Wall.PNG 
Views:	172 
Size:	859.4 KB 
ID:	126274

What is the best method for this?

Should I use a bump map or a displacement map/nodes, and if so, do I need to make the object sub-D, or just subdivide the polygonal model? Is there a way to subdivide a model with n-gons, or do I need to make it all quads? Or maybe triangulate?

I'm not concerned with choosing the best result, just the result that will get me photo realism from the camera angle and distance I have, and do it a quickly as possible .

I was originally going to make it 100% sun-d. I think I could do it, but it feels like a lot of overkill!

For something like this I wouldn't use Sub-D, just boolean the details and have fun. But if you want to make it sub-d then I would suggest you to focus on a good polyflow ( all quads if possible ), tris usually don't give nice results, try to avoid them or use them in flat areas. Remember that you can reuse sub-d objects in scenes where more or less detail is needed, it's more versatile but also time-consuming. Use a bump map only for the finer details, a normal map is better though (use Photoshop NVIDIA plugins to create normal maps from greyscale images). A displacement map is definitely not needed from that distance. So, happy modeling and Merry Christmas!

Edit: Invert Y axis the normal maps and set them to Linear in image editor if you are working on linear workflow (just select the sRGB preset in colorspace options to switch to linear workflow)
    Last edited by MG artist; 12-26-2014 at 04:24 AM.

Creator of the Grid
    So a displacement map is not even needed for the chips and holes in the wall, as shown in the last picture?

Is there a way to make normal maps in gimp?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you too!

Creator of the Grid

Can't zoom in.

OK,

I need to zoom my view in on the area highlighted in yellow...

Name:	Zoom Help.PNG 
Views:	89 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	126289

I had it zoomed in briefly, but than I hit "Fit Selected", and no matter what I try I can't zoom in enough. I've even tried scaling the layer up by 1000% but it still won't let me zoom in any further!

EDIT:

So with a little more research I found that the further you get from the origin, the less you can zoom in. I don't know how I was zoomed in enough in the first place.
    Last edited by KevinFlynn; 12-26-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFlynn View Post
    OK,

I need to zoom my view in on the area highlighted in yellow...

Name:	Zoom Help.PNG 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	126289

I had it zoomed in briefly, but than I hit "Fit Selected", and no matter what I try I can't zoom in enough. I've even tried scaling the layer up by 1000% but it still won't let me zoom in any further!

EDIT:

So with a little more research I found that the further you get from the origin, the less you can zoom in. I don't know how I was zoomed in enough in the first place.
    Welcome to LW's quirkiness!

Try selecting two points in that area and then zoom...sometimes you can zoom a lot closer if you have something selected.

Shift-A

That's for quickly getting to Kuzey's thought.

Yes, LW quirkiness.
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

There is a free normal map plugin for gimp, google it. About the displacement, it is usable only on sub-d unless you use DP displacement plugin, but even from the distance in the last reference image a normal map would look good.If you want to use displacement I would suggest you to use it on pixels per polygon to save memory.
    Last edited by MG artist; 12-27-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Creator of the Grid
    Quote Originally Posted by MG artist View Post
    There is a free normal map plugin for gimp, google it.
    Thanks! In the past I tried to find a way to make normal maps in gimp, but I didn't find anything.

Creator of the Grid
    I finally finished the metal roof flashing.

However, I am concerned about the poly count...

About 400 CC patches for one straight piece, and around 340 for a corner piece.

Name:	Poly Count.PNG 
Views:	112 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	126362

My computer has a 6 core CPU (12 render threads.)

Given the many roofs in my scene, and the fact that I will have to put say, 16 of these pieces on each roof (roughly 7792 CC patches per roof), do I need to find a way to reduce the poly count, or just turn down the subdivision at render time for the ones in the distance? Would "Per Polygon" or "Pixels per Polygon" subdivision help in this situation?

Would using instanter help in this situation?

Also, there are a few N-gons and triangles. They don't seem to be causing any problems now, and this geometry will be viewed from quite a distance, but I am wondering if there is a downside to leaving them in there.
    Last edited by KevinFlynn; 12-31-2014 at 02:32 PM.

It's better to avoid using Catmull-Clark, triangulate all n-gons and use Subpatches. Just to make it clear all sub-d render methods will render a given amount of polygons with the same speed. I suggested you use pixels per polygon for practical reasons. The value you type defines the maximum amount of pixels a polygon can cover. Thus, it doesn't matter if you move your camera, change the size of the object or the resolution you are rendering because the same polygon will cover the same amount of pixels giving you visually the same result. That's very useful for displacement. And you don't see all these polygons before rendering, saving RAM.

Creator of the Grid
    Quote Originally Posted by MG artist View Post
    It's better to avoid using Catmull-Clark, triangulate all n-gons and use Subpatches.
    Why is it better to avoid Catmull-Clark subdivision? Is it less efficient, or does it produce unclean results?

It doesn't have any technical problems as far as I know (I don't use it at all) but what it does is transform n-gons to quads. So, it creates the polyflow the user should have created but not always in a desired way. I prefer having total control on the mesh and I always try to make clean wires. Catmull-Clark prompts the user to do the opposite. This is my personal opinion though you are welcome to ignore it.

Creator of the Grid
    I've added the flashing to one of the roofs:

Name:	Roof.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	670.7 KB 
ID:	126457
    Way to much detail for the distance it will be viewed at. (I will try not to make that mistake again!)

I've also replaced most of the proxy geometry in my main scene, and started work on a texture for the cinder block buildings.

Name:	Sunset WIP.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	537.5 KB 
ID:	126458

Please don't hesitate to give suggestions or to point out mistakes.

Thanks to all for the help so far.
    Last edited by KevinFlynn; 01-06-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Creator of the Grid
    Assuming you are not using sub-d's, how do you deal with non planar polygons?

Just preforming a simple Chamfer results in non planar polys:

Name:	non planar polys 2.PNG 
Views:	81 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	126709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	non planar polys 3.PNG 
Views:	90 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	126708Click image for larger version. 

Name:	non planar polys 4.PNG 
Views:	84 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	126707

Name:	non planar polys 1.PNG 
Views:	84 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	126710

What are the industry best practices for non sub-d polygonal modeling; for photo realism?

Thanks!

Creator of the Grid
    Thought I should be sharing my progress more often, so here is what I have accomplished so far, with some corresponding reference images.

Name:	Door.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	127178
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/129806...4/16640422512/

Name:	Double Doors.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	127174
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16019136134/

Name:	AC unit 1.jpg 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	127176
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/129806...4/16434126157/

Name:	Roof thing 1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	127177
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/129806...4/16615498216/

Please post any advice or feedback on how these models can be improved!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast