Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Foundry to be sold in 2015?

oh corks

The Foundry to be sold in 2015?

Well.

That'll be interesting news for modo users. And by interesting I mean trouser dampeningly horrific. Offhand, I just can't think of an organisation that spends all its time acquiring new 2D/3D tech by buying up smaller companies. Can you?

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/12/...cted-sell-200m

Autodesk will be first to pick it up be chopped up into pieces. Glad I stopped using modo after they were bought.

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/di...px?f=4&t=94740

If Autodesk buys The Foundry, I see Modo sharing XSI's fate.

My view on The Foundry merging with Luxology was that Brad and the gang sold out. They gave up their independence for cash. Not a popular view but if Autodesk does become the new owner, I think a lot more people will more then likely adopt that viewpoint.

And yeah Lightscape cant say Im second guessing my decision to sell my Modo license. But what do people expect from a company that is owned by an investment firm like the Carlyle group? A sale was more then likey inevitable.

The sky is falling!

Maybe Newtek will buy them? That would be funny as hell! LOL

I think AD would keep Modo alive if aquired. I remember seeing a presentation of theirs a few years back where Modo was used as a comparsion to their products and they weren't negitive towards it in anyway and actually seemed somewhat concerned that it could effect their market share.

yup, bingo - truth is that there need be an app for freelancers small studios who can afford sub $4k app yearly. kinda "poundshop" tactic - sell more for less rather than just few expensive things.
    But I fear the development can stagnate...

I might actually put off my upgrade to 901 next year until the smoke clears and the dust settles. Hopefully The Foundry will come out the other end free of Autodesks shackles.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

I just thank the various gods that NewTek have remained independent all this time, and naysayers should really count their 3D chickens that so far our refuge has remained undiscovered. We quibble about the smallest of irks at times, but something like this can ruin people in one fell swoop. A LightWave buyout would kill a lot of people off, or make life very uncomfortable in the short run.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

oh corks
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    My view on The Foundry merging with Luxology was that Brad and the gang sold out.
    The very idea of it being a "Merger" was such a blatant piece of absurd P.R. nonsense from the get-go. Private Equity doesn't merge. It devours, and then at some point down the line it works out whether to poop or puke what it's eaten.

Also, Luxology was funded mysteriously from the start anyway. Maybe it was always private equity and all that happened was that they swapped one lot for another. And far from selling out, I suspect that Brad and Co didn't have any say whatsoever in what happened. But who knows. All I'm doing is guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    I think AD... ...actually seemed somewhat concerned that it could effect their market share.
    And you are aware, right, that what you say they wouldn't do is exactly and precisely, right down to the tiniest speck of detail, what they did with XSI?
    Last edited by stiff paper; 12-15-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Glad i never brought into Modo, no matter who ends up owning it. Don't think NT would be in there, it will be AD or another equity group who don't care a damn about the software or people just the money.

I am sad as there were high hopes from Brad and the crew for Modo and its still not there yet and now i can see many holding off their upgrade until this is sorted out.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2020

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    I just thank the various gods that NewTek have remained independent all this time, and naysayers should really count their 3D chickens that so far our refuge has remained undiscovered. We quibble about the smallest of irks at times, but something like this can ruin people in one fell swoop. A LightWave buyout would kill a lot of people off, or make life very uncomfortable in the short run.
    Totally agree with you! Look at modo users (like me) now, duped by the rantings of Brad. "We are merging.." yeah right! They got the money and sold out to the Foundry, then tried convince the users that it was a good thing...it's pure sell out and instability. say what you will about Lightwave, but we are still standing on our own feet. So don't be a sellout, Join the Rebellion!, that's what the new slogan should be.

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    The sky is falling!

Maybe Newtek will buy them? That would be funny as hell! LOL
    OMG! Talk about Karma..that would be to funny!

But I am laughing though, at all the Modo users that abandoned Lightwave..lol. Have fun with your Autodesk Modo or whoever else picks it up.

I guess 2015 will be tougher for modo because zbrush gets an expanded modelling toolset.
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

oh corks
    Please let's not gloat. "There but for the grace of god..." is a much better attitude.*

It's not even as if anybody knows what will happen yet, and if the worst happens (which, let's be honest, is an AD acquisition) there's going to be a lot of miserable modo users. S'not nice to laugh at people when they're feeling miserable.

* Not to be taken as implying belief on my part.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast