Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Genoma Preset for Unity Mecanim

  1. #1
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    12

    Genoma Preset for Unity Mecanim

    Hi

    I was hoping that someone has a Genoma Preset for Unity Mecanim that works that they are willing to share please.

    I have tried several of the Genoma Preset but now of them work correctly with Unity Mecanim animation system.

    Thanks
    Craig

  2. #2
    Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    jersey
    Posts
    5,766
    You won't get one either...

    Genoma rigs are designed for animation in LW itself, as such they contain a whole bunch of extra parts that are either unnecessary, or a roadblock to taking them over to game engines. All you need for unity is a bog standard, simple bone rig... none too dissimilar to the standard fbx style skeleton... You can get one here...

    http://rebelhill.net/html/lwandfbx.html

    That ofc is just a set of bones in your mesh... no control system for animating in LW itself. If, however, you're wanting to be able to animate characters in LW, and take those results over to unity, then you need to be able to put the animation out as a plain old bones rig of the same style... If thats the case, my RHiggit plugin will let you build characters with straight bone to bone setups which can be exported for use there.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigOZ View Post
    I was hoping that someone has a Genoma Preset for Unity Mecanim that works that they are willing to share please.
    Are we talking LW 11 or 2015? Because Genoma is radically different between the two versions. 2015 basically introduces a modular rigging system more than suitable for producing animations that can be exported to other softwares.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

  4. #4
    TD/Animator lino.grandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Rome
    Posts
    1,700
    I'm working on a Genoma2 Unity compatible Preset!
    Lino Grandi
    3D Development, LightWave 3D Group/NewTek, Inc.

    https://www.lightwave3d.com/

    LightWave 3D Group YouTube channel:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/Official...?feature=watch

    My YouTube Channel:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/linograndi?feature=mhee

  5. #5
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    12
    Thank you all for your replies. I will give this a go. http://rebelhill.net/html/lwandfbx.html

    Basically I just need a bones character in Unity to set it up to use the Mecanim system.

    Thanks
    Craig

  6. #6
    Registered User sami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    TopLeft Viewport
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigOZ View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. I will give this a go. http://rebelhill.net/html/lwandfbx.html

    Basically I just need a bones character in Unity to set it up to use the Mecanim system.

    Thanks
    Craig
    RebelHill's game engine fbx rig plugin system works awesome for easy to animate in LW and lightweight to export to Unity. It's amazing and the only game in town at present. Tho I am eagerly awaiting Lino's Genoma 2 Unity rig to check out that workflow too...

  7. #7
    TD/Animator lino.grandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Rome
    Posts
    1,700
    We're near. I'll release it next week.
    Lino Grandi
    3D Development, LightWave 3D Group/NewTek, Inc.

    https://www.lightwave3d.com/

    LightWave 3D Group YouTube channel:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/Official...?feature=watch

    My YouTube Channel:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/linograndi?feature=mhee

  8. #8
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by lino.grandi View Post
    We're near. I'll release it next week.
    Can you create a Unity Rig for LW 11.6 please as I am still having no luck. I am unable to update to the new version at this time.

    Thanks
    Craig

  9. #9
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    You won't get one either...

    Genoma rigs are designed for animation in LW itself, as such they contain a whole bunch of extra parts that are either unnecessary, or a roadblock to taking them over to game engines. All you need for unity is a bog standard, simple bone rig... none too dissimilar to the standard fbx style skeleton... You can get one here...

    http://rebelhill.net/html/lwandfbx.html

    That ofc is just a set of bones in your mesh... no control system for animating in LW itself. If, however, you're wanting to be able to animate characters in LW, and take those results over to unity, then you need to be able to put the animation out as a plain old bones rig of the same style... If thats the case, my RHiggit plugin will let you build characters with straight bone to bone setups which can be exported for use there.

    So I downloaded your RHiggit V2 free version and there are no installation instructions or documentation with it. After finally finding your youtube channel again no instructions on how to set it up.

    Worked out you have to use the LW add plugin feature and the edit menu layout to add your menu but the menu does not show up. So I am unable to use your tools.

    Are you able to help please?

    Thanks
    Craig

  10. #10
    I believe his tools come with a menu branch file. If you right click on a menu tab you should get a pop up prompting you to import a menu branch.

    Or you could edit your menus manually. I don't recall what his tool entry names are, but they probably show up under the "Additional" menu. From there you can drag and drop the entry to where you want in your menu layout.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigOZ View Post
    Can you create a Unity Rig for LW 11.6 please as I am still having no luck. I am unable to update to the new version at this time.

    Thanks
    Craig
    You could download the fully working 30 day trial of LW2015 to test the rig that Lino is creating.

  12. #12
    Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    jersey
    Posts
    5,766
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigOZ View Post
    Can you create a Unity Rig for LW 11.6 please as I am still having no luck.
    If all you're wanting is a character mesh bound to bones to be animated in unity (no animation done in LW)... then a genoma rig for it wouldn't really exist, nor have any point... neither woud any other autorigging tool.

    All you need is your mesh, with some bones fitted and bound to it... which you can do by laying out skelegons in modeler, or bones directly in layout. Weight, one per bone, etc... export to fbx.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

  13. #13
    TD/Animator lino.grandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Rome
    Posts
    1,700
    The Genoma2Unity preset will allow the same rig to be animated in LightWave or use any Mecanim animation in Unity.
    Of course proper weighting is needed, and no use of LightWave bones or joint options like Twist, Joint Compensation and so on... so LightWave can show the exact same deformation that will happen in Unity.
    It is of course possible to animate a model in LightWave using no weights at all and export it in Unity. Since LightWave and Unity data interchange happens through fbx, the fbx export will convert the current LightWave skinning creating a weight per bone, so it can be used in Unity.

    The Genoma2Unity preset is ready. I'm working on some docs and a video showing how to use it.
    Lino Grandi
    3D Development, LightWave 3D Group/NewTek, Inc.

    https://www.lightwave3d.com/

    LightWave 3D Group YouTube channel:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/Official...?feature=watch

    My YouTube Channel:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/linograndi?feature=mhee

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    az
    Posts
    14
    How close might the unity rig be ready? If you don't mind sharing where to look so I may set up presets for all my characters of all types.

  15. #15
    ..since 4.0 and beyond brent3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by lino.grandi View Post
    The Genoma2Unity preset will allow the same rig to be animated in LightWave or use any Mecanim animation in Unity.
    Of course proper weighting is needed, and no use of LightWave bones or joint options like Twist, Joint Compensation and so on... so LightWave can show the exact same deformation that will happen in Unity.
    It is of course possible to animate a model in LightWave using no weights at all and export it in Unity. Since LightWave and Unity data interchange happens through fbx, the fbx export will convert the current LightWave skinning creating a weight per bone, so it can be used in Unity.

    The Genoma2Unity preset is ready. I'm working on some docs and a video showing how to use it.
    Excellent Lino!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •