Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electricity, lightning and Plasma effects

Electricity, lightning and Plasma effects

What lighting effects is Lightwave cable of doing? I know I can do volumetric lighting and lens flares, but what about lightning and visible electrical current. How about lasers and energy blasts? I've used AE and Motion and it's very limited. Is there another plug-in or software to handle this?
    Thanks
    Bill

Hi,

Here's a real simple electric current/lightning tool. Hope it helps.

http://www.foundation3d.com/index.ph...13_fileid=1211

You can get a lot of cool stuff done with procedural textures.

What I do a lot is make a single null into a hypervoxel and play with the hypertexture settings. Then render out that animation and take into a comp program to further mess with it. You can make some pretty unique fx pretty quickly.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Way back in the day, I played around also using Points and Lines, and applied a mix of jitter on just 1 Axis at a time, then created a Morph for, pulled them all into Layout, and could then use Morph Mixer to animate. But like the examples better. (hmnn, maybe I could have added a Null to mine and used that that pull the Morphs?

Hi:
    I believe, there was in the past a cd called lightrom 3, which was packed with lightwave scenes, objects, etc.
    If I remember correctly, there was a plasma effect in it, which was very nice.
    Also there was an old lightwave magazine called lightwavin, which one of them including beautiful lightning fx.
    -Mobilis In Mobile-

Hmm, the answer is depending from the quality you need. The foundation post is more funny as far realism. Perhaps this helps for reference:

Animating Lightning Bolts
    https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opt...2596&Itemid=68

Lightning are 3D App and comp in AE (glow, blur, etc) equally.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    THere used to be a set of scripts from the makers of Vertibevel that had a VARIETY of ways to create lightning effects, some modeler/mesh based, another Layout based.

Those were the good ol' days.

(THis is definitely a 3rd party kinda thing-- I don't want dev time spent on this.)
    ++++++++++++++
    Here's a more helpful bit of typing: lightning and tree branches resemble each other-- use a plant/tree generator to create complex lightning bolts. I suggest DP-VERDURE from DPont-- free, and allows you to target specific (Modeler) meshes from a root location.

Create Endomorphs w/displacement and animate between them for the effect. Don't neglect audio , especially for arcs.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 12-14-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I have this tutorial ... very well done and very informative:

Gary Chike

Maybe you can find some tips here.......
    http://vimeo.com/12745727

I think a lot of people use geometry with transperency and use gradients to light it in some different ways, incidence angles etc.
    the laser stuff..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcRlbQZGG7I

beams like old times babylon 5 sparkles, or star wars racing pod electric connectors, create a polychain with enough points, and displace it with fractals, use glow or bloom for the polychain surface, or add the glow in post process in after effects.

volumetric lights with textures only and sprite mode can do a lot of cool stuff.

And some odd force field stuff using displacement on geometry but using hypervoxels on a dense subpatch can yield this kind of effect, never got around to do tutorial on it though.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    y'know what'd make a good Liberty3d tutorial? "Innovative Uses for LW's Volumetric Lights". You can get some cool effects out of them, but hard info is difficult to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    y'know what'd make a good Liberty3d tutorial? "Innovative Uses for LW's Volumetric Lights". You can get some cool effects out of them, but hard info is difficult to come by.
    I suspect many newbies donīt know about volumetric presets to get started even, the problem with that ...you have to enter the volumetric light settings in order to acess it, I hope that the lw3d group someday implement a preset system that can be acessed globally, by that I mean a sort of fx panel or preset panel ..maybe something like maya has, a place where you click on preset panel, and you will open a panel with different folders, like volumetric lights, lensflares, hypervoxels, objects,surfaces, cameras, motion paths, particlefx (where a complete particle rig is setup included with wind dynamics and voxels at one click)

Simply select item type-volumetric light folder, then drag and drop to the scene, voila instant nebula or laser, no need to add the light and jump in different steps to reach the volumetrics.
    One of the things that annoys me currently, that is partly the lack of improvement in the preset system ..and that there was no such enhancements in 2015, I would be semi satisfied if they removed the annoying "do you really want to replace requester" though that wouldnīt still be enough...drag and drop, then render and you have it done faster than ever before.

Ehh...tried volumetric lights plasma shield, you click on it, thats one step, then requester says" load settings"...duh? thatīs why I clicked on it, next "warning ...this preset might change the size parameters, do you want to keep the current parameters...sob...sob, I think in most cases I really want that preset applied without reqester steps, reading it, thinking about what it says etc.
    should be an optional choice to set that in the preferences panel I think.

Michael

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Yeah, that whole confirmation stuff is bullsh!te-- i think it's in the damn Surface load too.

Needs to be an OPTION, at MOST-- really, it's an almost totally superflous click we shouldn't have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Yeah, that whole confirmation stuff is bullsh!te-- i think it's in the damn Surface load too.

Needs to be an OPTION, at MOST-- really, it's an almost totally superflous click we shouldn't have to do.
    yes surfaces is like that too unfortunatly, I want drag and drop, and get on with it, Agreed 100%.

About volumetric lights though, there are really some nice things you can do for effects with it, and especially pushing it with underlying texture displacement wich distorts the above textures in undulating ways, Ivé used from time to time with nebula stuff, and It can be adapted for electric or plasma fields, for special shapes it could be rendered out as seqences and mapped on geometry if needed.

Michael

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Yeah, it's either a neglected feature or everybody's secret weapon.

Unfortunately, my underpowered machines make experimentation difficult. Like I said, someone knowledgable putting together a tutorial and presets would fill a gap, but can they make money doing so?

Back on topic: IMO glowing geometry is the way to go for lightning fx.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 12-15-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast