Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What impresses people about LW?

I agree about avoiding comparisons. Something that other soft users like is the weightmaps versatility in LW

the community.
    lw_chanlum [free shader and node x32] <HERE!>
    lw_chanlum [advanced node x32, x64, ub and osx] <HERE!>

Definitely show off the what you really like when using LW there are quite a lot things for me. Obviously this has a lot to do with how your own personal methodology and workflow is and it won't work for everyone.

I think for new users there are a lot of things that get smaller projects done more quickly which is also why this app. is favored in smaller groups.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 12-09-2014 at 08:23 AM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Lightwave is unqiue because all the selfless hours of help
    & encouragement given freely by lots of talented forum
    members to others questions & cries of help.When the
    Amiga platform self destructed the spirit of the Amigians
    was healthly living in this said forum, in all its kindness.
    That is the jewel in the crown of Lightwave!

P.S. Lightwaves' got the best parachute into 'Smart Help'
    outthere with this forum,tuck that into a plugin if you can!
    Last edited by ianr; 12-09-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Well said!!

that is true, but I would say that is something not relative to the software and a discussion of what impresses people about lightwave,thatīs about stuff around lightwave and not lightwave itself, so I am not sure
    that should qualify as being a valid topic for "what impresses people about lightwavef"

In fact..in someway it sounds bad when you are proned to say...whatīs good about lightwave, and comes up with the lw community, that said..doesnīt decrease the value of having such nice forum, but discussing it in terms
    of whatīs good with Lightwave...I donīt know, depends on how you look at it maybe.

personally...renderquality, renderspeed, and the fact that ligthwave is much easier to set up things and get going fast is what attracted me, and still impresses me compared to what you have to delve in to with many other software in general.

I think one of the reasons the forums here are so helpful is because a lot of us don't have Lightwave buddies sitting next to us to ask questions regarding Lightwave. Secondly there are good people around here.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Gizmo free modeling
    Endomorphs (Maya users)
    IKBooster (parts of it)
    VPR
    Plugins are cheap
    Community
    Cost (or rather, lack of it)
    Metric modeling (Maya users, unless that is fixed now)

the number one minus is the split application,
    once that is fixed in some way, we'll see more people looking towards LW again...
    Last edited by erikals; 12-09-2014 at 09:53 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Not as a tutorial, but I'd love to see a video with someone who is familiar with many packages and see how they all sit together regarding speed, quality and how that relates to cost. As in a test "concept scene" (for example) that uses as many of the modern day features of 3D that are available and how much it would cost to create that concept in all the various packages. The scene would contain hair, dynamics, complex lighting, deformations, character animation, effects, particles, clothing, big crowds, millions of trees and some splashing water..... a pretty complex scene.

Lightwave would bottleneck at the hair part, particles out the box are ok, but we have turbulence... so options. Clothing is fine in LW. Big crowds... not so sure, and it depends what they are doing (can LW use Massive?). Trees and instancing is native, so fine there too. Water... well I guess native we have HV, which doesn't really cut it. We can do things in Blender and import. But Realwave works with LW too I think, so no limits there... but it costs.

I main in LW, and have only used other packages lightly. Who has the time and money to know them all? Someone might, who knows! But anyway, I've always been under the impression that for many of the things I take for granted in Lightwave, on Autodesk products (at least) you will probably end up paying a fair bit of money for... as in, there are a lot more 3rd party solutions, and you have to buy things to extend functionality.

Where Lightwave suffers is probably in the 3rd party department. LW covers so many things that there isn't much room for extras, and because there isn't much room for development, and a smaller userbase (? I assume) then we have to rely on LW3DGroup more. An example of this is our solutions for doing hair. We have FiberFX and an aging sasquatch. 3D Max on the other hand has several 3rd party solutions to this. But they can get pricey, 500-900 dollars for hair alone. Plus the package price is over three and a half thousand pounds, so that plus extras... you better make sure it pays. LW you can take more chances.

So it's a double edged sword. The stand out features of Lightwave are probably more the fact that you can do some pretty amazing stuff straight out of the box.

Sorry this has been a bit of a stream of conciousness and a bit off topic really .

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    "Someone who is familiar with many packages" probably is very much in demand, and wouldn't have time.

And 3rd party: my impression is that not enough of the application was "exposed" in the SDK, which made things more difficult than strictly necessary for 3rd party devs.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Free tacos.

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Just adding to (and in some cases, agreeing to) what has already been said...

1. No hidden costs.

You get what you pay for. You create stuff, you animate stuff, you render stuff. And yes, there are free and paid for plugins that will make this process easier, but you can do it all for the price you paid. Which leads to...

2. Cost

Blender aside, Lightwave works for me because it allowed me to add new skills to my portfolio, for a relatively small hit.

3. I purchase, I own

I suppose this isn't really what made me go down the Lightwave route in the beginning, but sort of what keeps me here. I want to pay for my software, my upgrades and own that software outright.

4. Community

There just isn't another forum, that I personally know of, that is so open and helpful to others. We make sure newbies are welcome and empowered from the off. We seek ways to better our workflows, without fear of abuse or ridicule. And we have access to some of the top LW users in the world.

Just my opinions.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

LWCAD!
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    "Someone who is familiar with many packages" probably is very much in demand, and wouldn't have time.

And 3rd party: my impression is that not enough of the application was "exposed" in the SDK, which made things more difficult than strictly necessary for 3rd party devs.
    Yeah, forgot that one... good point. There are also past problems that dirtied the water too, which don't need going over again as it is long ago now. I'm hoping this "under the hood" work will open up a little more of the guts to 3rd party in the coming year or two... even if it's just to allow bolt on solutions to things like hair (for example... ...not that I'm pushing for hair as a personal high priority Nope, not at all.

Hair.

"OH NO!", Joseph Joestar ncr100's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ... the spirit of the Amigians
    <3 almost like they were space aliens <3

- - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Q View Post
    Free tacos.
    http://goo.gl/BhBdlB - not this kind.
    -Nick
    audio: Ö Ī Py