Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What impresses people about LW?

What impresses people about LW?

I'm looking to do some tutorials for my YouTube channel. When thinking of topics I remembered a lot of people here saying they use LightWave at work and users of other software always come over and are amazed. Can you guys name some of the tools in particular that impress users of Max, Maya, etc.? Doing tutorials on those could of course be useful, but also help promote LW.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Well, thinking back to when I first started with LW, I liked how close it was to actual camera lenses. A VERY simple tutorial could start with just showing how to navigate that interface and show the different camera types for different situations. Just an idea targeting beginners.
    "I don't have it... you want half my omelette?"

The ability to animate/record the camera while your scene is playing.
    Last edited by realgray; 12-08-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Interesting suggestions. I haven't messed with real lens cameras in a while but i know that my own DSLR and lens are listed in it so I can work with that. I might even be able to combine the 2 ideas.
    Last edited by Philbert; 12-08-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    ~~Phil Nolan

I am impressed so far by the fact that I downloaded the trail and after couple hours I was already able to do something. And with Modo for example I still don't understand anything after a two or three month long trials throughout several years while it does have a few necessary features LW doesn't .

For me as stated it's how easy the camera is to move around. Love looking through the lens and setting keyframes that are smoth and fluid! The other thing that is not as easy in MAX and MAYA maybe C4D is kind of a double edged sword...it's how accessible the actual points and polys are. In those other packages they are more parametric modelers so getting to the points and polys are deeply embeded in the toolset. You can just quickly grab and move around, snap etc...points and polys. If there was one other thing is't how easy and straight forward the original layers approach to texturing is. It's very deep but quickly approachable. I for one have not gone into the nodes much, but do every now and again when it's just necessary. Will continue to do more and more...but the layers are so easy to get most things I need for my projects.....

Fluid Camera Moves
    Easy Modeling (Points and Polys)
    Textures and Shading

I've been told by c4d users that they wish they could do half of what is possible with IKBooster. Not bad for a 10+ yr old Lightwave feature.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

My friend from work, long time Maya user was impressed by VPR.
    When i asked him if it's possible in Maya to have quad view(for modeling) with dependent moves and zoom like in Modeler he asked "for what?" ;]. It is not possible what i realize after. He was modeling in perspectiive, after that i saw he modeling in quad view but changing views in every window was loosing time during modeling.
    In Maya are many tools for UV and nice panel for that. He was supprised how fast i doing UV map in LW with PLG pack (low poly model, ship or vechicle with many small thing). That UV mapping in LW is possible because i have full and fast control on model through layer panel, UV map list, hidding etc. BUT if something, in LW when you edit mesh on textured object, UV destructs...

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    I've been told by c4d users that they wish they could do half of what is possible with IKBooster. Not bad for a 10+ yr old Lightwave feature.
    Unfortunately I'm still wrapping my head around ikBooster. Every time I think I've got it down I try to repeat something and it doesn't work the same as it did before. *shrug*
    ~~Phil Nolan

My Maya friend was always impressed by the VPR and the ability to shift-click on the image to open its surface properties.

He also was very impressed by (and I thought this somewhat standard between packages) the ability to see the deformations in a model in the viewport before you render it. If I was using displacement mapping on a model, or moving the displacements around in realtime in the viewport, he said that he had to render to see the results. I couldn't imagine working that way. Not sure if Maya has improved that or not yet.

I've also been told that the node editor is very clean and straight-forward and they wished that Maya's surfacing was more like that.

I would be careful about - and even eliminate entirely - comparisons to other apps in tutorials. Unless you are an advanced level user with the current version of said software and you also do a side by side comparison and truly apply apples to apples using the fastest approaches in other apps.

And this in my opinion should be eliminated from any presentations as well.

One that sticks out to me is the claim that LightWave uses "real world units."

Rob actually stated this and was trying to make the case that LightWave was unique in this regard. You have to be very careful what you say. And unless you have a real direct comparison between apps, and you really do know your stuff inside and out in said app.... skip it.

I do think a comparison to other apps is a great idea for a tutorial in itself. But I think it has to not only fair and balanced, it should be done in a helpful way to assist people to find points of similarity and differences when making a transition or adding LW to the toolset.

While I agree that putting comparisons into these tutorials would be a bad idea, I don't think that anyone was suggesting doing comparisons, they were citing that which impressed users of other software. IOW, an outside validation that a particular feature of LightWave is cool and, therefore, would be interesting to prospective users.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

I would never do comparisons. I just want to do tutorials that people would find interesting, even people who don't use LW.
    ~~Phil Nolan

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    I would be careful about - and even eliminate entirely - comparisons to other apps in tutorials.
    This is wisdom.

There's so many reasons a comparison can go wrong, it's just best to avoid them. For example, to use Richard's example, instead of touting "RW measurements" (and once they're metric, does it matter?), better to brag on LW's MIXED units, and show adding meters, inches, mm, and feet together in one dialog, incidentally demo'ing the slick trick of doing math IN the numeric fields. (Is that common yet?)

Just show what the tool is good at, and hope you're not overtaken in the next six months.

+++++++++

Anyway, sorry for the derail-- I too would like to know what experienced users of the competition are impressed by.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I would never do comparisons. I just want to do tutorials that people would find interesting, even people who don't use LW.
    If I were you I would post tutorials of things that you like to do, or you can maybe break down one of your favorite animations, those are always interesting to see.

You might want to think about the range of tutorial you would like to make.

Beginner, intermediate, advanced?

Just some thoughts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast