Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 or Cintiq 13 for illustration work?

I ended up getting a surface 3 I7 256GB tablet. So far I love it. I don't recall if I have the latest version of lightwave on it or not, but it should be one of the newest versions.
    I found that with the pen the perspective may spin out of control trying to use the icons. But runs correctly with a wireless mouse.
    A keyboard is a must for anyone use to the shortcut keys. When using the pen, you may prefer to use a wireless keyboard so that it can set next to the tablet without affecting your arm.
    So far I am not seeing any lag while drawing - the exception is the brushes in photoshop that behave like a real brush.
    Zbrush seams fine so far.
    Doing a quick sketch on the tablet is about like on paper, but the glass is very smooth so you don't get the drag that you normally would feel so that may take some time getting use to.
    As for how fast is the SSD well from a cold start, booting windows, signing in and accessing most any program is within seconds, depending on the program.
    I get about 6 hours of battery life before requiring a recharge. I have not timed it yet, but I believe the recharge from 10% to 100% is about 2 to 3 hours.
    As for the wireless video adapter, I have had a few hiccups with it, it seams to skip with animation but is fine for stills. I have been told it is a video driver issue and should be fixed soon. I know it is not the adapter as a kindle fire plays smooth animation on it. (hbo go)
    The adapter when using the surface is extremely easy to use. Once the adapter is connected to a hdmi connector and a usb power source, it will tell you on the TV to sync your device. Once that is done, you can extend your display, or mirror the video.
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Quote Originally Posted by Silkrooster View Post
    I ended up getting a surface 3 I7 256GB tablet. So far I love it. I don't recall if I have the latest version of lightwave on it or not, but it should be one of the newest versions.
    I found that with the pen the perspective may spin out of control trying to use the icons. But runs correctly with a wireless mouse.
    A keyboard is a must for anyone use to the shortcut keys. When using the pen, you may prefer to use a wireless keyboard so that it can set next to the tablet without affecting your arm.
    So far I am not seeing any lag while drawing - the exception is the brushes in photoshop that behave like a real brush.
    Zbrush seams fine so far.
    Doing a quick sketch on the tablet is about like on paper, but the glass is very smooth so you don't get the drag that you normally would feel so that may take some time getting use to.
    As for how fast is the SSD well from a cold start, booting windows, signing in and accessing most any program is within seconds, depending on the program.
    I get about 6 hours of battery life before requiring a recharge. I have not timed it yet, but I believe the recharge from 10% to 100% is about 2 to 3 hours.
    As for the wireless video adapter, I have had a few hiccups with it, it seams to skip with animation but is fine for stills. I have been told it is a video driver issue and should be fixed soon. I know it is not the adapter as a kindle fire plays smooth animation on it. (hbo go)
    The adapter when using the surface is extremely easy to use. Once the adapter is connected to a hdmi connector and a usb power source, it will tell you on the TV to sync your device. Once that is done, you can extend your display, or mirror the video.
    1. "View spins out of control": Be sure you're changing to "tablet" mode in LW prefs, I believe what you're describing is a known result of using tablet in LW "mouse" mode.
    2. "glass is very smooth": Ghost Armor (check web for locations) has a matte screen guard for Surface 3 that gives a much more paper-like texture when drawing using the pen, without impacting the pen operation. Just be sure to get the matte screen guard, not the glossy one.
    3. "wireless display adapter": I love mine. Full-screen-size animation can occasionally skip, Miracast has limits esp. when down-scaling (esp. w.r.t. "non-cardinal" scale factor). A workaround is to drop display to 1920x1080 while 'casting so that Miracast doesn't need to downscale, that should help with skips.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

I did a quick comparison between my wacom 21" cintiq and the surface 3 i7 version.
    And even if I can feel some difference, the surface felt a little slower, but I will not call it a lag. I only feel the minimal slow down when I switch between the two. If I Only work on the surface I don't feel like its slow or anything, so I would only call it's different not slower. which doesn't matter as you get used to the one you use.
    Pressure sensitivity wise I feel minimal to no difference. I want to feel a bigger difference as it's 256 vs 2048 levels, this feels more like a marketing hype. I would want to say that both have around 10-25 levels, based on how it feels when sketching.
    If I was only after a digital sketchpad I would go for the surface as it's more mobile and flexible. You can also use the surface as a traditional tablet if you connect a second screen to it, didn't test this myself, but sounds like a nice feature.

I just went and bought a Surface Pro 3 i7 tonight and have been testing it out, I haven't installed Photoshop on it yet but I downloaded the 64bit version of Krita and tested that, and I can not get any pressure sensitivity on the pen at all. Where are the pressure sensitivity controls located? The note pad app doesn't seem to have pressure sensitivity either (in anycase i'm not going to be using that app). I'm just not able to test whether its working or not and am a little disappointed.

Keep the first hand info coming guys! This thread is getting very interesting.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    I just went and bought a Surface Pro 3 i7 tonight and have been testing it out, I haven't installed Photoshop on it yet but I downloaded the 64bit version of Krita and tested that, and I can not get any pressure sensitivity on the pen at all. Where are the pressure sensitivity controls located? The note pad app doesn't seem to have pressure sensitivity either (in anycase i'm not going to be using that app). I'm just not able to test whether its working or not and am a little disappointed.
    I had the same problem, it may be that you need to use Krita sketch or gemini to get it to work, on my cintiq Krita works fine. I tried Photoshop and it worked fine on the surface, my tests was in a document size of 5000*3500 pixels and it was smooth as butter. I liked that I could pan and rotate the paper with my left hand and sketch with my right hand. When I did use the touch to pan and rotate the paper it was a little slugish but if I used the shortcut for the same operation it was as smooth as on my workstation.

These issues are so annoying, things can never just work out of the box. My wife is taking it away with her to Hong Kong tomorrow, so I won't get a chance to see if it performs better in Photoshop or anything else. I can't seem to log into the Krita forums either anymore so I''m unable to get any answers from them. I'd have loved to be using Krita, such a nice program.

These issues are so annoying, things can never just work out of the box. My wife is taking it away with her to Hong Kong tomorrow, so I won't get a chance to see if it performs better in Photoshop or anything else. I can't seem to log into the Krita forums either anymore so I''m unable to get any answers from them. I'd have loved to be using Krita, such a nice program.
    The surface 3 is not using wacom tech anymore, maybe thats why Krita isn't working?

Go to www.ntrig.com and download latest WinTAB support driver. Then go to Windows App Store and install the "Surface Hub" application per this MS support article. That should resolve your pressure sensitivity issues.
    John W.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Go to www.ntrig.com and download latest WinTAB support driver. Then go to Windows App Store and install the "Surface Hub" application per this MS support article. That should resolve your pressure sensitivity issues.
    Yup. beat me too it..
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    The surface 3 is not using wacom tech anymore, maybe thats why Krita isn't working?
    Haven't tried Krita specifically, but once you install ntrig WinTAB stuff everything should work normally. I've had no real issues with Painter2015, PD Howler, ArtRageStudio, MangaStudio, SketchbookPro, etc. once I got the WinTAB stuff installed, and used Surface Hub to tweak pressure curve to my liking.
    John W.

1. "View spins out of control": Be sure you're changing to "tablet" mode in LW prefs, I believe what you're describing is a known result of using tablet in LW "mouse" mode.
    2. "glass is very smooth": Ghost Armor (check web for locations) has a matte screen guard for Surface 3 that gives a much more paper-like texture when drawing using the pen, without impacting the pen operation. Just be sure to get the matte screen guard, not the glossy one.
    3. "wireless display adapter": I love mine. Full-screen-size animation can occasionally skip, Miracast has limits esp. when down-scaling (esp. w.r.t. "non-cardinal" scale factor). A workaround is to drop display to 1920x1080 while 'casting so that Miracast doesn't need to downscale, that should help with skips.
    1) I tried both mouse and tablet mode, neither worked correctly. (I found the tablet mode to not be calibrated correctly or it might work, if I recall that is)
    2)Never heard of ghost armor, I will be checking it out.
    3)Never thought of that, I assumed it did it automatically. I can not remember if ever checked the resolution setting, as I know it will change if direct connected, as that is what happens on the laptop. I will be trying it.

Much appreciated...

I hope you don't mind, I forwarded your post to the illustrator forum, where someone there was having pen issues.

Haven't tried Krita specifically, but once you install ntrig WinTAB stuff everything should work normally. I've had no real issues with Painter2015, PD Howler, ArtRageStudio, MangaStudio, SketchbookPro, etc. once I got the WinTAB stuff installed, and used Surface Hub to tweak pressure curve to my liking.
    I could not get Painter2015 demo to install and run..
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

Quote Originally Posted by MSherak View Post
    I could not get Painter2015 demo to install and run..
    What error did it give? Was it the install that failed, or the app itself?

I was able to install the release (purchased) version without any problems, but maybe your issue will be something I've seen before.
    John W.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast