Thread: Using rigs from True Bones

Using rigs from True Bones

I am using 11.6 on a Mac. I'm trying to import the true bones rigs. Can someone suggest how to do it properly? Properly in as using it in my model. I'm looking specifically to climb up and down stairs.
    Thanks.
    Laurence Seitz
    SunPower Kidz, LLC

I'm not a expert, but my understanding is you will need to rig your character, maybe using the Genoma mocap skeleton, and use a retargeting tool like iKinema Webanimate or Nevron Motion to retarget the mocap animation to the models skeleton. I've never done this in Lightwave, I use Modo for all my retargeting.

I have a bunch of Truebones mocap files but I'm kind of lazy. I tend to use the Mixamo site. I'll upload the 3D model and use the Mixamo auto-rigger then find some Mixamo mocap files I like. Mixamo will combine it all into a .fbx file you can download and import into your 3D app of choice. (Like I said, I tend to use Modo for this stuff but I know it's possible to do this in Lightwave)

Not sure if I answered your question but that's my 2 cents.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have attempted numerous times to contact Mixamo. However, they just don't return my emails or phone calls which I can't understand. I also have MODO, but I really want to learn the Genoma rigging setup. I'm going to assume that the revised one coming out with Lightwave 2015 will be more understandable. I do know that a gentleman has taken the time to offer two incredible tutorials, each well over an hour, so I hope this will offer a very fundamental approach. There is also a fine gentleman from England, RHriggit who has been very accommodating with my questions.
    Once I get to that part of the process, I'll decide which will be the most expedient approach. Climbing up and down stairs for two characters could be a bear unless I can use the motion captured files effectively.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    On the one hand, yes... retargeting is what you need. You can just "bodge" the bones of the mocap file into your mesh and let it go, but the motion won't fit the character right unless the bodily proportions of the mocap file and your character happen to match exactly (which they never do). So you'll need to rig your characters appropriately, and retarget the motion from the mocap, to that rig.

However... for things like stairs... retargeting alone wont be enough. Lets say the mocap has longer legs, and the character shorter ones... A retarget will ofc "resize" the motion so the destination character takes shorter steps... but climbing stairs, their footfalls will need to actually land on the stair positions themselves... ad the retargeting will simply give you a motion that climbs a resized version of the staircase which was climbed by the original mocap actor.

So you'll need to manualy correct the motion after the retarget to "fit" it to the stair object you're using, which means editing the final motion, which means you need a control rig you can repose and animate on... For this, you best bet is RHiggit, as it'll transfer mocap animation to a regular animation control rig which can then have its motion edited, allowing you to modify the motion to meet your requirements as needed.

See here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PgN...nKDqX&index=32

And here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsXw...nKDqX&index=48
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Relative motion loading will let you achieve this without hand-keying everything. Skip to 1:55 to the stair demo; everything is driven by bakespots and autobind:

This technique works on most rigs, applies relative to your character's current position in 3d space, and the motion can be steered around in any direction. Best of all, it's all native to Lightwave.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain your approach. Quite fascinating!...I definitely will look into this.

- - - Updated - - -

You make it looks so easy. Incredible. I will again look into your excellent product. Upon purchase, is additional assistance available in the event that I am somewhat baffled? Thank you again for your time and interest.

Quote Originally Posted by zooberite View Post
    You make it looks so easy. Incredible. I will again look into your excellent product. Upon purchase, is additional assistance available in the event that I am somewhat baffled? Thank you again for your time and interest.
    Sure thing. The video content explains the majority of IKBooster functions well enough, but there are a few areas where users might need to be pointed in the right direction, or perhaps someone runs into strange behavior where it isn't obvious as to what is happening to cause it. If you intend to get both IKB videos, I recommend getting the bundle deal that includes both parts 1-2, 3-5, and common scenarios for character animators so you'll have additional weapons at your disposal.

The workflow is easy, learning and understanding it is less so. If you have any questions or concerns, e-mail me at [email protected]
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Truebones works good with Mixamo characters

You can now use Truebones with Mixamo rigged Characters.. The problem you might benn having before could be related to namespaces that are unnecesary, still mixamo adds them.

for more info click here http://conta.cc/2aAiWDd Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8b86083b-4333-4945-ac7a-a3aafcd145b7.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	134019