Thread: Live Matte and Digital Noise

Live Matte and Digital Noise

I've been doing some testing and trouble shooting regarding the talent in a Live Set shot, not being as crisp as the set, especially when doing a zoom in the virtual set, when the talent starts off in a full body shot.
    One thing that I've noticed is that when I turn on the LiveMatte, all of a sudden I see alot of digital noise, especially of contrast. When I turn off LiveMatte it goes away. I've gone in a tweaked setting in the camera.
    Is there anything to tweak in the Tricaster to minimize this? Does anyone have any useful tips. I am the only one who sees this?

TC 40 v1
    Panasonic HMC40 AVCCAM

We're looking to upgrade our cameras, but until then, I'm trying to get the best output as possible.

Thanks
    Gear Used:
    TriCaster: 40
    Cams: Panasonic AVCHD
    http://studio.ourtrainingacademy.com
    Newtek User since VT2.0

Unfortunately I think you'll continue to see noise until you upgrade the camera.

I struggled with 'noise' on all of my projects that used live matte in the Tricaster until I started using a GH4 (10bit 4:2:2 via HDMI converted to SDI).

The JVC ENG cameras we were using just seemed to have a noisier signal in general and it really came out when trying to do any sort of work involving the live matte. I'm guessing the JVC's were outputting 8bit 4:2:2 or even 4:2:0. Fortunately the projects were being delivered to web so the contrast between the fuzzy talent and ultra sharp virtual set were a bit blurred due to compression. The product would have been 100% unacceptable for broadcast delivery.

After getting the GH4... my talent looks extremely sharp and crisp. Amazing what a 'cheaper' camera ended up doing!
    Tricaster 455 | JVC HM650

Thanks for the info!
    Gear Used:
    TriCaster: 40
    Cams: Panasonic AVCHD
    http://studio.ourtrainingacademy.com
    Newtek User since VT2.0