View Poll Results: will you upgrade to 2015 ?

Voters
248. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, of course

102 41.13%
  • yes, the upgrade is worth it

35 14.11%
  • no, too few features

30 12.10%
  • no, way too few Modeler improvements

27 10.89%
  • no, still waiting for integration

18 7.26%
  • no, but maybe if we get a point upgrade

22 8.87%
  • skipping this one

14 5.65%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 2015 - upgrade ?

Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    Upgraded two licenses
    And still You have only one vote in polls. It is not fair :-D

President, the LightWave Group robpowers3d's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    why do I like the software so much? Oh! - it just came to me. Speed of creation!
    I liked that part so much I shared it with our internal marketing team
    Rob Powers

President, NewTek LightWave 3D Group
    Burbank, CA

Not convinced they will ever really work on modeller so definitely not upgrading, and anyway had enough bugs/workarounds in LW10 and not interested in having to cope with more.

Dave.

Old Dog Learns New Tricks RudySchneider's Avatar
    Yep, already did. And I'm just a hobbyist who only dabbles occasionally!
    There are no problems, only opportunities...

Quote Originally Posted by kosmodave View Post
    Not convinced they will ever really work on modeller so definitely not upgrading, and anyway had enough bugs/workarounds in LW10 and not interested in having to cope with more.

Dave.
    Hi Dave,
    I'm sorry that you feel that way but that is not accurate. We have been working on modeler on two different levels since I joined the company. One level is on current incremental updates like the new fracture tool in the 10.x cycle or the interactive sync mesh tools in the 11.x cycle and the other level is at a deeper architectural level to allow more significant development in future versions. I assure you that both are real and solidly our intent.
    Rob Powers

Burbank, CA

Quote Originally Posted by RudySchneider View Post
    Yep, already did. And I'm just a hobbyist who only dabbles occasionally!

Heh. See, not only am a NewTek fanboy wearing Pollyanna glasses, I make my living doing this stuff and the purchase price is a tax write-off. I allocate a part of my invoice payments to a software budget, and voila.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

I will, when I get the cash. There's enough in Layout to warrant it, I think and the new Genoma 2 is nice. Quite a few bugs still (specially the rendering bug I reported), but at least I'll be able to get the fixed version when released.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Quote Originally Posted by robpowers3d View Post
    Hi Dave,
    I'm sorry that you feel that way but that is not accurate. We have been working on modeler on two different levels since I joined the company. One level is on current incremental updates like the new fracture tool in the 10.x cycle or the interactive sync mesh tools in the 11.x cycle and the other level is at a deeper architectural level to allow more significant development in future versions. I assure you that both are real and solidly our intent.
    And THIS... is the kind of communication that the LW userbase NEEDS on a regular basis. If you provided us with nuggets like this every week, there would be MUCH less disappointment and apprehension concerning future development. And... you didn't even have to reveal any huge secret plan or development schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon2.0 View Post
    And THIS... is the kind of communication that the LW userbase NEEDS on a regular basis. If you provided us with nuggets like this every week, there would be MUCH less disappointment and apprehension concerning future development. And... you didn't even have to reveal any huge secret plan or development schedule.
    We are looking at ways to help with this.
    Rob Powers

Burbank, CA

All it takes Rob is to hit the quick reply button - easy peezy ....sorry - I couldn't resist.
    Somewhere between the Darkness and the Light

This is good to hear.

If you can start a regular schedule of communication with the users, you WILL go a long way to eliminating the statement "the LW3DG has gone silent again" and help us to feel that we are being included as opposed to "feeling" ignored. I, personally, would much prefer to NOT see complaint threads of "why isn't LW integrated yet" or "how come LW3DG ignores us" or "where are all the videos about this new release?"

I am sincerely encouraged by your responses regarding development, but the typical userbase memory is short AND we need to be reminded again and again. One specific thread with regular announcements would be most welcome. I hope we see. it!

And thanks for responding!

I voted "no, still waiting for integration", but this is not the whole truth.
    Less about money, more about the rules - I really don't know nothing about direction, where the Lightwave goes...
    Nothing about key things for me: future architecture and integration.
    How deep will be the nodal workflow... Non-destructive modelling through modifier stack or nodes... or destructive? And so on...
    Today, tools are less important for me, even physically based uber node material with almost all parameters on board (Arnold, VRay, Maxwell...) (this one is more about standarization and unification which LW badly needs in many parts)

best regards,
    Peter
    Last edited by peterpaw; 12-04-2014 at 06:18 PM.
    Freelance Generalist LW|NUKE|AFX
    showreels: commercial film

Even this little snippet, doesn't say what, or point at anything... But it's great for us to hear! I'm glad that this weakness could potentially be addressed! Go Newtek!

Oh... And I've already upgraded my personal license, but my work one will have to wait.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon2.0 View Post

If you can start a regular schedule of communication with the users, you WILL go a long way to eliminating the statement "the LW3DG has gone silent again" and help us to feel that we are being included as opposed to "feeling" ignored. I, personally, would much prefer to NOT see complaint threads of "why isn't LW integrated yet" or "how come LW3DG ignores us" or "where are all the videos about this new release?"
    I don't think it has to be a regular stream of information like they have to stick to a schedule or anything, as they can't always know how busy or committed they are to other things at any given time. It also doesn't have to be them even revealing anything about future developments. It just has to be some form of dialogue that seeks to engage users and generate some interest/excitement about the future of LightWave.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    I don't think it has to be a regular stream of information like they have to stick to a schedule or anything, as they can't always know how busy or committed they are to other things at any given time. It also doesn't have to be them even revealing anything about future developments. It just has to be some form of dialogue that seeks to engage users and generate some interest/excitement about the future of LightWave.
    Point taken. We are looking into the best way to do this. We are discussing a blog type implementation and some other options....and it certainly would be patterned on a natural flow of information that makes sense not some regularly scheduled forced communication regardless of having a point.

After all, I'm sure some of you would likely not care what I think about things like the latest Star Wars Trailer, which computer tablet I use or other unrelated banter. When I've heard some technology guru with little or no actual experience creating anything with their software do this type of stuff it comes off as someone being self-indulgent and I have often thought to myself "What does this actually have to do with your software?" I've been criticized by some for sharing some of my experiences on past projects but for sure I was discussing a project on which I used LightWave heavily and I felt like that was directly relevant to the conversation.

That other type of off topic conversation seems overall to be fairly pointless in the effort to communicate the progress and exciting direction that we are moving LightWave in. The important thing is that we really do have interesting things going on and much thought and planning has been put into LightWave and the direction of the software. We simply need to determine the best way to best communicate this beyond the software releases themselves which simply can't reveal volumes about the extended future direction.

But certainly our major statement is in fact each release of our software which reveals a new chapter in the direction in which we are going.
    Rob Powers

Burbank, CA

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast