View Poll Results: will you upgrade to 2015 ?

Voters
248. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, of course

102 41.13%
  • yes, the upgrade is worth it

35 14.11%
  • no, too few features

30 12.10%
  • no, way too few Modeler improvements

27 10.89%
  • no, still waiting for integration

18 7.26%
  • no, but maybe if we get a point upgrade

22 8.87%
  • skipping this one

14 5.65%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 2015 - upgrade ?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    AFAIK, LW3DG is still selling perpetual licenses, not annual subscriptions.

I agree with hrgiger--the new naming doesn't necessarily mean there will be a 'major upgrade' release every year. But we'll see.

G.
    I bet we will - at least I believe that that's their goal. But as you say... we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by medicalart View Post
    Is there a list of specific feature upgrades? (I looked on the site but don't see anything.) I have 11.6.3 and wonder about the benefit of upgrade hassle.
    Right there on the lightwave3d.com main page. Two tiles on the left side with "Features" somewhere in the title. The lower one leads to the video, dedicated panels on the major stuff and complete feature update list.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    Right there on the lightwave3d.com main page. Two tiles on the left side with "Features" somewhere in the title. The lower one leads to the video, dedicated panels on the major stuff and complete feature update list.
    Not completly coverage..maybe the most and important stuff is there though, the manual located in the 2015 install directory also has a blue 2015 marking on all features that are improved or new to 2015, However ..not even that covers it I think.

I found out the the OpenGl particle display is much better now, they have adapted smaller point display, which actually helps showcasing it better in terms of seeing the whole particle density as it will look like more closely to if you use very fine particle size with hvīs, so I like that one..I think it has adapted the same nicer display that modo and houdini has, though we could use an interface control for it, so if we by any chance would like to have larger particle points in open gl, you could set that, I also would like to have openGL display without the particles showin velocity stretching..which they always do in the open GL.

This improvement I havenīt seen described anywhere in manual or feature lists...and I wouldnīt be surprised if there are more hidden tools or improvements.

i'm trying to upgrade to 2015 from lw 10 but i'm a still charter member from the old hardcore days and it seems to be insisting i buy 11.6 first - i'm not interested in upgrading twice in 1 day at extra cost - anyone know a way around this rather idiotic setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobistorm View Post
    i'm trying to upgrade to 2015 from lw 10 but i'm a still charter member from the old hardcore days and it seems to be insisting i buy 11.6 first - i'm not interested in upgrading twice in 1 day at extra cost - anyone know a way around this rather idiotic setup?
    Get in touch with support, they usually get back really fast!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobistorm View Post
    Here's the deal. If you want to keep your hardcore price guarantee, you have to buy both 11 and 2015. If you want to upgrade straight to 2015, you can do that without upgrading to 11 first, but you will lose your hardcore pricing guarantee. Those are your 2 choices. No need to contact support. The hardcore pricing only stays in effect if you buy each of the 5 upgrades.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 12-09-2014 at 07:54 AM.

i dont want my hardcore pricing i just wanna go straight to 2015 but it wont let me when i select upgrade from my account it automatically puts the 11.6 upgrade into the basket and no way to make it put 2015 in as far as i can see - so i have contacted customer support see how that goes

I get confused by the hardcore pricing. Although I had the hardcore membership and have not missed any upgrades my account says post charter and the upgrade seems to be the same as the regular price.

i'd contact LW support... they'll help you out
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I'm really not sure what I'll do, so haven't chosen an answer as yet. As far as HardCore pricing goes, I wish they'd get rid of that condition that you need to get each upgrade because if they do raise the price significantly it's going to be WWIII on these forums. A part of me can't help but wonder if the $495 price is to tempt people who didn't upgrade to 11 to forfeit their charter membership before a price rise, and if isn't, just drop the damn condition already. (lol, I sound 'murican, though a Canadian influence is likely the cause).

Even though I support focusing on a new modeller, I don't think they should ignore the current one in its entirety. I don't mean to be mean but quite frankly, though Lino and company may have taken Modeler "as far as they can", there is quite clearly a gulf between what the LightWave Group's capabilities with Modeler are and that of other plugin developers such as Viktor, Sensei and various others on the plugin database. While talk of employing a commercial dev to bolster their efforts might be unrealistic, I'd like to see someone like Art recruited to plump up ye olde Modeler a bit. Ahh, just think of Bezier Bridge with multiple bridges and all the options of Extrude+...
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    Even though I support focusing on a new modeller, I don't think they should ignore the current one in its entirety. I don't mean to be mean but quite frankly, though Lino and company may have taken Modeler "as far as they can", there is quite clearly a gulf between what the LightWave Group's capabilities with Modeler are and that of other plugin developers such as Viktor, Sensei and various others on the plugin database. While talk of employing a commercial dev to bolster their efforts might be unrealistic, I'd like to see someone like Art recruited to plump up ye olde Modeler a bit. Ahh, just think of Bezier Bridge with multiple bridges and all the options of Extrude+...
    The key to a better Modeler is either an improvement to the existing toolkit or going with something like QT. Neither of which we have seen clues as to taking place. UntilOnce we as users see simple things like renaming layers within the Layers panel, we can rest assured that we are still dealing with the older infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by bbuxton View Post
    I get confused by the hardcore pricing. Although I had the hardcore membership and have not missed any upgrades my account says post charter and the upgrade seems to be the same as the regular price.
    Post charter means you bought into hardcore past the March 31st deadline which means you have a guaranteed price of $495 which currently is the same price as a LW regular upgrade. I bought in before March 31st so my price is $395 for example sake. Some people were confused because they think their price should be lower the the regular LW upgrade. But as Rob has explained it, hardcore pricing is not a discount, its a price lock so you wont pay more then that price even if the LW upgrade price goes up (like for LW 11, upgrade price was $695).

Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    I'm really not sure what I'll do, so haven't chosen an answer as yet. As far as HardCore pricing goes, I wish they'd get rid of that condition that you need to get each upgrade because if they do raise the price significantly it's going to be WWIII on these forums. A part of me can't help but wonder if the $495 price is to tempt people who didn't upgrade to 11 to forfeit their charter membership before a price rise, and if isn't, just drop the damn condition already. (lol, I sound 'murican, though a Canadian influence is likely the cause).

As far as modeler goes...

if it were just new tools we were tlking about I would agree with you but it goes deeper then that. Its the whole system and certainly a new geometry engine is needed. And that cant be just added to Modeler, it hs to be a core part of the system, then every single tool would have to be rewritten to use it. The new modeling tools that were added in 11.5 werent added inside of modeler, they were sort of pushed in beside it.

And its good you mentioned LWCAD becaause again, its not that Viktor has extended modelers toolset.. its more like he built a modeler inside of modeler. He built his own system of on screen widgets and even added his own edge support since modeler doesnt actually support true edges (which is why when you use edges on something like LWCAD's mass round tool, you select edges as a part of the tool, not select edges using LW edge mode).

Too many people underestimate Modeler (possibly even Newtek) when you look at the innovatory *genius* of plugin creators such as Viktor (LWCAD) and 3rd Powers - the potential is considerable. You can create loads of things impossible even in Zbrush (which is positioning itself as no1 organic and hard modelling app) like challenging low poly sub d booleans (even Maya has trouble in this dept). OK Modeler slows when you have millions of polys but then so in my experience do Maya and Max.

Maybe Newtek have finally twigged there's life in the old Modeler yet. Hopefully the Hydra tech will result in something far more advanced in poly handling. Modeler really does need to grow and keep pace with competitive technology.

But right now Modeler + LWCad + 3rd Powers plugins combined with Z Brush is surely most modellers need (short of dare I say it, imagination)?

If Modeller is being rebuilt LW3DG could look at consolidating the toolset. Although Maya is still IMHO limited by comparison, it's new polygonal toolkit only comprises a few basic tools but they are very powerful.

Looking forward to upgrading - but only once there's confirmation the bugs are fixed (esp the Motion Blur issue in Layout).
    Last edited by bobakabob; 12-09-2014 at 01:59 PM.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Post charter means you bought into hardcore past the March 31st deadline which means you have a guaranteed price of $495 which currently is the same price as a LW regular upgrade. I bought in before March 31st so my price is $395 for example sake. Some people were confused because they think their price should be lower the the regular LW upgrade. But as Rob has explained it, hardcore pricing is not a discount, its a price lock so you wont pay more then that price even if the LW upgrade price goes up (like for LW 11, upgrade price was $695).
    Thanks for making it a bit clearer. I'm pretty sure I bought into the hardcore as soon as there was a Mac version. I'll check through my invoices for an exact date. I'm not complaining about the price which is good value in any light.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast