Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LW 2015 Breaks FiberFX fiber guide rendering

LW 2015 Breaks FiberFX fiber guide rendering

I use highly rigged characters (ala Rhiggit!) when animating. In this system there is a global root null which parents all of a character’s model layers, plus another null which parents all of the character’s bones, known as the deformation rig. If a character has a beard one would might choose to create guides in Modeler’s FiberFX module, maybe create some dynamics for it (not part of this exercise), and it would reside in a separate model layer.

When using this system I have found that LW2015 has broken this method of animation when using FiberFX. To test this, please follow these instructions:

Create a sphere in Modeler. Go into FiberFX and create some hair. It will be in layer 2. Send the object to Layout. Add two nulls. Reparent everything according to the uploaded image. The sphere and hair layer need to “Use Bones From Object”: the deformation null. Select that null and add a bone in there. Record rest position.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015 hair broken.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	368.9 KB 
ID:	125758

If you then move to frame 10, then move the bone Z -3 meters, the whole kit and caboodle should get much closer to the camera.

Select the hair layer and activate it in FiberFX. Make the hairs visible. Play the scene and the hairs play nicely.

Then try rendering it. The hairs DO NOT MOVE. This system always worked previously.

We’ve tested this in both Mac & Windows (64). The setting files are completely fresh.

This is a major problem for our production. We’re using Octane’s new beta plugin which uses LW’s new FiberFX API and we desperately want to start rendering, but this bug affects both renderers in LW. We just can’t render anything till this is fixed.
    Last edited by hdace; 11-30-2014 at 07:08 PM.
    "There can be no true beauty without decay." --Latin proverb. Nothing digital is beautiful?
    Our new movie is here: http://epistrophypictures.com

fogged: 73885
    "There can be no true beauty without decay." --Latin proverb. Nothing digital is beautiful?

That's another serious one, you should also submit a report using the new submission page, I feel a double report is not going to hurt and I hope they will get back to work and start fixing all these bugs.

Name:	buglist.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	125765

Quote Originally Posted by hdace View Post
    fogged: 73885
    I think that the old Fogbuzz system is no longer useful. Use the new submission page in your account to report this bugs.

-Juanjo
    Juanjo Gonzalez
    Computer Graphics Software Developer

Okay, I did that. I'll use that one from now on. Thanks guys.

I don't think we can wait for a fix. I'm spending this morning looking for a workaround.

It doesn't appear to matter which object hosts the bone (as long as the objects have correct "object with bone" assignments). FiberFX doesn't correctly render fibers that are being driven by bone movement.

As long as FiberFX won't work with bones anymore, I can't see how there could be a viable workaround...

maybe parent a null to the bone, bake it, then parent the guides to the null? have to go out, will try in a couple of hours
    Last edited by hdace; 12-01-2014 at 04:54 AM.

I am testing your problem and here all works fine, even with Octane. Can you please test the attached scene in your system?

-Juanjo

Name:	image000339.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	483.3 KB 
ID:	125773

- - - Updated - - -

Remember that in the Octane IPR you don't get a real time update of the fibers position without reload the scene, or without enable the update FiberFX option the plugin options panel.

-Juanjo
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Juanjo Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by juanjgon View Post
    I am testing your problem and here all works fine, even with Octane. Can you please test the attached scene in your system?

-Juanjo

Name:	image000339.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	483.3 KB 
ID:	125773

- - - Updated - - -

Remember that in the Octane IPR you don't get a real time update of the fibers position without reload the scene, or without enable the update FiberFX option the plugin options panel.

-Juanjo
    I tried your scene except I removed the Octane plugin just in case it was causing the problem (very unlikely, but you never know). If you look at the render you will see that the hair is static, and I believe it's actually from frame 10!

hair.mov

Quote Originally Posted by hdace View Post

maybe parent a null to the bone, bake it, then parent the guides to the null?
    This workaround worked in the basic test, so need to test it with my character. This would not work where there is more than one bone influencing the hair.

Obviously I'm a little concerned since no one else has explicitly confirmed the bug. I've checked this on three different computers and both operating systems, but maybe they all have something in common that's causing this that Juanjo doesn't have.

The workaround can't actually parent the 3rd null to the bone because it has to remain a child of the scene. I used "Position Item" in Motion Options to control the 3rd null's position, baked it, turned off Position Item, parented (in place) the hair guide layer to the 3rd null, and voila.
    Last edited by hdace; 12-01-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Oppps, yes sorry ... with F10 render it doesn't work. The hair is not updated

Do you have reported the sample scene with the bug?, What case is it?

-Juanjo
    Juanjo Gonzalez

I think that I have found a workaround. Please, enable in your FiberFX panel the "Dynamic Gravity" option and test again.

-Juanjo
    Juanjo Gonzalez

Oppps, yes sorry ... with F10 render it doesn't work. The hair is not updated

Do you have reported the sample scene with the bug?, What case is it?

-Juanjo
    Case LWB-1064

I think that I have found a workaround. Please, enable in your FiberFX panel the "Dynamic Gravity" option and test again.

-Juanjo
    Yes, that works with my simple scene. It's a better workaround than mine because, I assume, an animal or any object with lots of bones controlling the hair/fur would now render correctly. Mine only worked if there was only one bone controlling the hair/beard. But I now need to test it with my character just to make sure. Thanks Juanjo!

I think that the old Fogbuzz system is no longer useful. Use the new submission page in your account to report this bugs.
    How nice of LW3DG to clearly and unambiguously announce that to its customers.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Traitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    How nice of LW3DG to clearly and unambiguously announce that to its customers.
    Thought they replaced fogbugz with JIRA.
    If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out - T.Minchin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast