Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LW 2015 FBX --> Unreal Engine

LW 2015 FBX --> Unreal Engine

Long time user, and just taking initial steps into game design.

I am curious to know if anyone knows the workflow yet of moving animation data between LW 2015 and Unreal? I've successfully imported models in LW11, but FBX support was lacking. Has LW2015 FBX update included support for moving animation data between LW and Unreal?

Please forgive me if this is obvious, I'm pretty new to Unreal.
    Video and Animation Auteur

Absolutely giddy!

Answered my own question, and it was profoundly simple. "export animation". Works beautifully!

Imported a rag doll from the 2015 samples, and the physics from the bones of the dolls is applied automatically!!!! I hit play in Unreal, and the rag dolls proceeded to fall down, like rag dolls.

LW3D Group - what have you done?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Long time user, and just taking initial steps into game design.

I am curious to know if anyone knows the workflow yet of moving animation data between LW 2015 and Unreal? I've successfully imported models in LW11, but FBX support was lacking. Has LW2015 FBX update included support for moving animation data between LW and Unreal?

Please forgive me if this is obvious, I'm pretty new to Unreal.

hmm so you say it is working! FBX export to UDK is working ..that is a very good news..!

I've taken a long break from doing anything serious in 3D, while watching the game engines becoming incredibly awesome. Then came Oculus and VR finally getting its bearings. I don't have the patience for learning a new 3D app, so I've been waiting and praying and hoping that LW3D Group would update FBX. Not only have they updated it, they did it incredibly. I need to know a LOT more about lightwave and Unreal now. I am so freaking excited!

Seriously! The rag dolls have their physics applied to them in Unreal! It's ... unreal!

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    hmm so you say it is working! FBX export to UDK is working ..that is a very good news..!

It's should be mentioned as a LightWave - Unreal Engine integration by LW3DG :]

Propably there still missing Transform values in FBX exporter because in Layout there is not something like this (Transform in Maya). I had problems with pivots transform in LW->Unity in this or last year. Developers know about this, there was a thread.

hahaha! this is too easy.

Took the humanoid genoma2 and animated a kick. Exported FBX.

Imported a fbx saved rag doll and genoma2 into unreal. Genoma humanoid now kicks rag doll's *** across the floor!

hahaha! Game on!

Can you post a vid ? Seems fun !

Yes indeed, it appears the axis for animation in LW is at a 90 degree difference in orientation. As soon as I apply an fbx anim only file to a skeleton, the mesh rotates 90 degrees pitch to play the animation.

Must ... learn ... more....

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    It's should be mentioned as a LightWave - Unreal Engine integration by LW3DG :]

Propably there still missing Transform values in FBX exporter because in Layout there is not something like this (Transform in Maya). I had problems with pivots transform in LW->Unity in this or last year. Developers know about this, there was a thread.
    - - - Updated - - -

I will, as soon as I figure out the workflow! A few kinks to look at (or maybe I did something wrong, I'm a novice at Unreal).

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    Can you post a vid ? Seems fun !

oh corks
    RebelHill has a set of vids about FBX and LightWave. I can't swear they'll definitely be very helpful, but they certainly won't hurt any. If I remember rightly, he covers the 90 degree orientation thing:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5F0EDCD3471EE8FC

dude i am seriously watching this thread... FBX export is a life saver for me.. any workflow help would be awesome...

Its 3am here. I woke up about 30 minutes ago, my head exploding with all sorts of new possibilities for expression and creativity. With this new updated FBX support, I now feel the need to learn everything I can about how to exploit this interchange format, and how much Unreal and LW can now talk to each other.

While there is a 90 degree orientation difference on object import, I've been able to animate and save off different fbx anim files from LW and load into a single skeleton for mapping and playback of actions. Press 'w', and the character kneels. Press 'x', the character waves. It's just awesome.

I want to go a little deeper in understanding how all this works (particularly animaion blueprints in Unreal) and then I'll post a video. So far, my limited understanding of what I'm seeing is this: The Genoma2 human rig setup translates perfectly well via FBX to Unreal Engine! This makes me incredibly excited to explore what other possibilities now exist. Tossing in one of LW's rag dolls into Unreal and watching it react to physics was ... just ... O.O

Where to go next ... read up on Genoma2. TTYL!

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    dude i am seriously watching this thread... FBX export is a life saver for me.. any workflow help would be awesome...

Thanks for this! I started watching, and then saw these were recorded in 2010. While very informative, I'm pretty sure the information is out of date for LW 2015 FBX support. This has prompted me to jump in and aggressively relearn LW's animation capabilities; specifically Genoma2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cardboard View Post
    RebelHill has a set of vids about FBX and LightWave. I can't swear they'll definitely be very helpful, but they certainly won't hurt any. If I remember rightly, he covers the 90 degree orientation thing:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5F0EDCD3471EE8FC
    Thanks for this! I started watching, and then saw these were recorded in 2010. While very informative, I'm pretty sure the information is out of date for LW 2015 FBX support. This has prompted me to jump in and aggressively relearn LW's animation capabilities; specifically Genoma2.

Slowly working my way through learning the basics of genoma and relearning bones (it's been that long). Bouncing back and forth between Unreal and LW2015 and applying animations to simple objects is fun and easy.

I see in the window of the fbx exporter an option for "blend shapes"; I assume these are endomorphs? I've applied an endomorph, animated it, and it shows in layout, animated and all. But the endomorph information doesn't carry over to Unreal. Is there another way to send morph information to Unreal? Why have "blend shapes" as an fbx export option? Hmm.

I realize I might be the only person on the planet wading into this (LW to Unreal), but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Does Unreal support blenshapes/endomorphs?
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Does Unreal support blenshapes/endomorphs?
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ets/index.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast