Page 14 of 65 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 2015 revealed!

At first I was a bit put off by the idea that our charter member pricing was being devalued by a price reduction since we would no longer be receiving a discount. But after considering it and Rob's comments, I have to agree, it was a price guarantee against future pricing increases so I see this in no way going against what Newtek offered us with the hardcore program.

There are some really good improvements with LightWave 2015 and I agree also with Rob in this case that they are a business and while getting some free updates is nice, they can't give away anything for free. So congratulations LW3DG on the latest release and personally, I like going with the 2015 moniker.

If anything, my only issue would be that I still have real concerns about future growth with LightWave with its architecture in mind. I know that Rob stated they are working on things but after CORE, I think that LW3DG has really asked a lot for people to stick around on the basis that things would change 'under the hood' and yet now it's several years later, and we haven't seen a lot of indication that real change is happening. Features are nice and all, but they're not as important as a solid framework which we know is historically, not LightWave's strong suit.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon2.0 View Post
    Not arguing here, but where does it say that ALL of the "antiquated architecture" has been "cleared away"?
    You're right, but they've been doing SOMETHING for 3 years.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by ncr100 View Post
    Try:

Macintosh HD ▸ Applications ▸ NewTek ▸ LightWave3D_2015 ▸ docs ▸ Help ... "LightWave2015.pdf"

Or, the Help menu in the App.
    Thank you. I'm so used to downloading the docs separately it didn't even cross my mind that they might actually be installed with the program.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

Anyone else notice how fast it installs compared to 11.6.3? On the PC, 11.6.3 always took 1.5-2 minutes to install or uninstall for me but 2015 installs in like 20 seconds. I know it's minor but yay for either a.) a leaner program or b.) a better installer.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

Top Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by meatycheesyboy View Post
    Anyone else notice how fast it installs compared to 11.6.3? On the PC, 11.6.3 always took 1.5-2 minutes to install or uninstall for me but 2015 installs in like 20 seconds. I know it's minor but yay for either a.) a leaner program or b.) a better installer.
    Yes, definitely. It surprised me.

Ecellent release, once again, Rob and LW3DG- team! I cant wait to get the update!
    Yes, my Avatar shows a volume rendering...
    VoluMedic Creative Edition only USD 299 !
    www.volumedic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar Moelzer View Post
    Ecellent release, once again, Rob and LW3DG- team! I cant wait to get the update!

And any new stuff with volumedic around the corner? or perhaps you are awaiting to check whatīs been done under the hood?

Top Dog
    I loaded a subd'ed object from 11.6.3 and it shows some holes in 2015 that aren't in 11.6 modeler. I haven't rendered in either Layout though.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post
    I loaded a subd'ed object from 11.6.3 and it shows some holes in 2015 that aren't in 11.6 modeler. I haven't rendered in either Layout though.
    Why not wait 2 minutes until you have that render???
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by robpowers3d View Post
    Of course we do and all HardCORE members have had an extremely long window of time to upgrade to the 11.x cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    You said it All kidding aside those that hadn't upgraded missed out big time in those 3 years. In my mind the 11 cycle will go down as the best ever. You should be very proud of your team.
    No offence to Rob or Snosrap, but not all of us have a job... I'm long term unemployed and can't get work anywhere. After weekly expenses I'm left with a few euro in pocket to get me through till the following week and that gets decimated if God forbid I have to buy a tube of toothpaste or shower gel or something else that isn't part of the weekly expenses. I made a number of attempts to make the upgrade from 10 to 11 over the years it has been out but every one of them failed due to unexpected expenses popping up. I'm going to try and make the move to Lightwave 2015 but seriously I need a financial miracle to land on my lap! And while I do want to make the upgrade, if I did find myself with some cash on hand, given other priorities in my life right now, upgrading Lightwave isn't top of the list sadly. But I will try...
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Top Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Why not wait 2 minutes until you have that render???
    Just noting my observations (away from computer right now). Will fb if there is a discrepancy.

Congrats to the team! Lightwave 2015 is great! I especially love the importance sampling, I do a lot of image based lighting, and if you are using light probes with strong light sources, this is huge!!

your mileage will probably vary, but if you use light probes for lighting, and they have bright lights, this is a really big deal!!

here is a test I did with a light probe for background GI that has a sun,

importance sampling Off 679.9 seconds.
    importance sampling on, 9.3 seconds and looks way cleaner!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isOff.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	557.3 KB 
ID:	125676   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	importanceSampling.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	455.1 KB 
ID:	125677  
    illuminatedtools.com My great light probe Library.

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualFM View Post
    Hello guys!
    I'm happy there is a new Lightwave out. I'm not thrilled that you adopted the "year nomenclature", I was actually feeling proud that you had not yet succumbed to that "year nomenclature" plague, just like Cinema 4D, Houdini, Modo, Fusion, Nuke, etc, but ok, you probably made your marketing research and came to the conclusion that would be a better approach.
    For the record, it is still Cinema 4D R16, MODO 801 and NUKE 9. But indeed you can choose to do annual upgrade plan or buy per version. I guess by the naming Newtek goes to annual upgrade plan too? I think it is necessary to get enough funding for decent R&D pace. I don't like year version naming though.

I have looked at the (main) feature list of LW 2015 and decided that most of the features I would use I already use right now in MODO. At this moment for me as HardCore Charter member who did not buy into 11.X it would cost 2x$395 to get LW2015 and I can't justify that. So I decided to drop out of the HardCore Charter and will upgrade maybe in future if I see an advantage to that at that time based on that version. I still open LW 9.6 and 10.1 once in a while to get to older client projects and then it appeared painfully to me how fast I forgot the buttons and tricks and workarounds that were in my fingers automatically during all the years since LW 3.1 Amiga and not using it enough. In the past I experienced similarly after a long vacation but much less worse.

So for now I wish you all well and I will follow from a larger distance than since the demise of LightWave HC, that was in hindsight for me the time I stopped, mind you I paid for HardCore when I already was working in MODO, but wanted to fund the chance to get an all new LightWave. I remember I considered supporting via HC again into 11.0 and 11.5, but at those times I saw no immediate advantages to switch back or even use LW 'on the side'. Layout still is great, Modeler feels very old and detached to me.
    I will do a 30 day trial though in some time to test my decision and for $495 as a non-HC-member I can buy LW2015 if I am correct.

Erwin

support www.theoceancleanup.com !

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    0_o This is when Rob really earns his antacid money.

It probably took 3 years to go from 11 to 2015 BECAUSE of the antiquated architecture. Now that that's cleared away, yearly upgrades might be possible.
    *hopefully*

When Core was canceled, IRC, Rob said that they would integrate LW within a 3 release development schedule. If 10.0 counted then it should have been in this one, if not then it should be in the next one. The time between LW11, and 2015 IMHO should have meant that integration was coming in this build, but alas that is not the case.

On a side note, I don't want to come off as only focusing on the negatives, or disappointments. Many of the features in there are quite important. Some "better late than never" but important none the less. Upgrading to 2015 will be a priority for me even if my software purchases are moving away from LW in favor of applications that work better with UE4, and more standard pipelines. LW is still important to me, probably more for the safety crutch aspects over anything else, but I still prefer using it to anything else. So onward and upward!
    Last edited by Bookman; 11-24-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    Jim Hibbert

Portfolio

CPU: Duel Intel Xeon. E5645 2.4ghz, (12 Cores)
    Ram: 24gb
    Windows Win7 64bit
    Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (2gb RAM)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by juanjgon View Post
    And LightWave 2015 has a nice new feature for all the Octane users
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1409690

-Juanjo
    ok I missed the info... say what?? I do not understand. to much to absorb at the moment..
    Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptorŪ300gig

Page 14 of 65 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast