Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rounder still not fixed?

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Since LWCAD does (apparently) do what everybody EXPECTS Rounder to do, but doesn't, and other apps execute this operation in a user-pleasing manner, surely it's not so much a question of LWM's capability but that the original Rounder author used a craptastic algorithm.

The code may be a dead loss, but, they could always start from scratch.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Mass rounder in LWCAD is my preferred method. Yes rounder does work but in a counter intuitive way for most. It needs revisiting as do a few tools that work but work differently from what we would expect.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Yeah not only that but with proven comparison it is actually broken even when it "works".

Best to test it apples to apples.

Attached is a model I made that resembles as close as I could to Erikals example.

Test it in LW and see it fall apart whereas it works as you'd expect in Blender and Maya, the ones I checked. But you can test it in anything you have around.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    The code may be a dead loss, but, they could always start from scratch.
    Agreed, that never made much sense to me: If the code was _that bad_, why not replace it? It's not so "big" a tool that reimplementation would be unrealistic within a product cycle, and the issue has been around during the scheduling phases of multiple product cycles now.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

What is the tool or operation in Blender for rounding edges, is it an Addon? I can't find it. Also do I have to be in Edit mode and select the edges I want rounded?

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    What is the tool or operation in Blender for rounding edges, is it an Addon? I can't find it. Also do I have to be in Edit mode and select the edges I want rounded?
    Maybe check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUQddRgpADA

There are others though showing more ways.

What is real neat though is around 1:40 - 2:00

Cheers

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Agreed, that never made much sense to me: If the code was _that bad_, why not replace it? It's not so "big" a tool that reimplementation would be unrealistic within a product cycle, and the issue has been around during the scheduling phases of multiple product cycles now.
    It is a puzzlement. ---A grating, aggravating, annoying f***ing puzzlement.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    It seems like maybe NT's new product features are designed to move over to a new platform eventually and maybe it's not worth the effort to build a new Rounder tool that they couldn't use in the next iteration of LW. Maybe Layout is designed in a way that pieces and parts can be bolted in place and therefore unbolted and moved to a new platform whereas Modeler is hardcoded so to speak and that's why we are seeing all the new features and upgrades mostly in Layout and not Modeler.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    That makes sense: Modeler has always seemed more hard-coded/inflexible than Layout. :'(

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    For Edit Mode and select all the edges you wan to Bevel. Then Clt E to bring up a menu and choose Bevel. Controls will show up on the Left panel (T for tool Pannel if it is not there) all the way at the bottom. For future reference you will find the shortcut on the menu which is ctl B for Bevel.

In Object Mode you can use the Bevel Modifier. Modifier Pannel on the properties page (right side) and choose "Add Modifer" then control it with the settings. For this object you would not need to limit it. But for others you might want to use a vertex group to limit where the Bevel occurs.

Maybe not such a puzzlement, I mean, maybe they didn't actually employ anyone to make any tools, or maybe whoever they employed managed to last as long as they did without actually making any tools.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

This to me speaks to the liability of not talking to us straight. Not until David Ikeda opened up about Rounder on another site completely unrelated to LightWave and now they he is not on the team, have I had any kind of insight as to why something like this would not be fixed.

I don't buy into the idea the the LightWave community is just a bunch of people wining and complaining, uneasy to please, critical crowd that is best not associating with intimately about software development. Yet that is the kind of brush off you get from the devs, as well as other LW users.

However, when there is a release and bugs show up, suddenly the LW community is valuable, able to actually intelligently find and log bugs, and the devs are right on it, and grateful. As they should be.

There is quite a disparity here.

I say in reality there are a lot of real intelligent people here. And if they were treated this way, talked to straight with no BS as to what the actual issues are, and the problems the devs face in detail, it would be appreciated and understood.

I just don't get how the silent treatment is beneficial to anyone.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345