Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave 12 - HardCore Notice

Lightwave 12 - HardCore Notice

So FYI, I just received a notice that I'll need to upgrade from LW10 if I wish to continue my HardCore discount.

Also, it stated that they're offering a 30 day grace period.
    I interpret this to mean I have 30 days from the launch of LW12 in which to make up my mind. (That's appreciated.)
    Also, the email warned that there's no "guarantee" prices won't go up.

I'm glad that NewTek is following up.

However, I have mixed feelings for 2 reasons:

1. I've gotten used to being able to skip a release with Modo. (I'm still on 701 there.)

2. (And this is my real gripe) I've witnessed LW updates being offered to people that weren't HardCore for discounts while I got nothing special. (I'm at $495 post charter.)

So, here's my opinion:

NewTek needs users badly. (This forum is pretty darn quiet compared to days gone by.)

Price increases may be necessary, maybe even deserved, but, it's not going to help them against very affordable competition.
    Heck even Blender is becoming useful.

I really hope that LW12 is all it can be and it generates all the income they need to thrive.
    Thus, for whatever it's worth, I would recommend LW makes a heck of an offer to it's existing HCore user base this Christmas because, unless they're about to launch a MUST HAVE app, they're going to suffer in the competition.
    That's my two cents anyways.

I'd like to continue supporting LW and even return to using it as my go to app but, there's a lot of options and justification nowadays for not doing that.

well in NT's defense, they've been more then generous by offering a discount for 5 releases of LightWave which will still be several years in the future. They also eliminted the 60 day grace period they used to have where you had to upgrade within 60 days of a new release to keep the discount. And its a loyalty discount for those users who wish to keep their versions of LW current for a discounted price.

Modo only lets you skip upgrade, just like in this case. which means at most, you have two years before you would have to upgrade your Modo where its been over 4 years people have had to decide if they want to keep their discount pricing for LightWave.

You more likely have 30 days to upgrade to LW 11.x, not 30 days to wait after LW 12 is released.

The whole point of the HardCore discount was to encourage LWers to stay current by offering a substantial discount for each version release. Pretty sweet deal, since all the .X upgrades were free. It was also made clear the discount would vanish as dew in the morning sun if you skipped a version upgrade.

I also am ticked when some combo package with discounts is offered to get me to upgrade to the version I already have, so I can't get the package. If this brings in non-LWers or entices somebody with an older version of LW (hint, hint) to upgrade, fine.

It's your call, but I would not assume (and you know what THAT does!) LW12 is just over the horizon and you will get the Hard Core discount for upgrading from LW10 to LW12.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    well in NT's defense, they've been more then generous by offering a discount for 5 releases of LightWave which will still be several years in the future. They also eliminted the 60 day grace period they used to have where you had to upgrade within 60 days of a new release to keep the discount. And its a loyalty discount for those users who wish to keep their versions of LW current for a discounted price.

Modo only lets you skip upgrade, just like in this case. which means at most, you have two years before you would have to upgrade your Modo where its been over 4 years people have had to decide if they want to keep their discount pricing for LightWave.
    Not true with Modo. I upgrade to 601 from 103.. So that's like what 6 years..
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

Agree with hrgiger's post. IMHO the pricing of Lightwave has always been fair and economical and this is a major strength of the software comparative to other commercial suites. The discount for Core investors was also a very good option which I gladly subscribed to. As someone who uses all manner of 3d software these days I'd feel as if a limb was cut off if I couldn't use LW in my pipeline. VPR alone puts other renderers to shame and has sped up my workflow incredibly as an essential tool for staging and lighting. The animation tools are getting better and better and pro quality plugins such as RHiggit and LWCAD are available at very reasonable prices. The endless speculation about the underdog of 3d's future will go on but overall it's been a great journey from 5.5 to 11. Good to hear from hrgiger there's potentially another 7 years of discounts.
    Last edited by bobakabob; 11-24-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Sounds like an official announcement about Lightwave 12 is not far away.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Maybe the release is 12/12.

Quote Originally Posted by calilifestyle View Post
    Not true with Modo. I upgrade to 601 from 103.. So that's like what 6 years..
    that used to be the case. Not so with The Foundry now at the wheel.

LW3d website has been updated...
    Matt Knott / VERSUS
    http://www.versus.nu

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    yepp..2015, as I thought is should be.
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/art...ing-announced/
    It says 'available now'
    Matt Knott / VERSUS
    http://www.versus.nu

Apparently, NT decided to drop version numbers in favor of "model year", like when you can buy a 2015 automobile in November 2014.

Here's hoping the docs are good . . .

Banned
    I saw no mention of the $395 Hardcore discount that I'm on.

Let me re-read.

Looks good! will update, dynamic bones seems nice and will be useful for sure.

...not that I'm complaining but a lot of folks were counting on getting the 11.7 with bug fixes.

Happy anyway.

S

This is not LightWave 12, it is LightWave 2015

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast