Thread: Need help on how to Texture an Object?

Need help on how to Texture an Object?

Hello,
    I am coming back into the world of 3d after a rather long hiatus, so I'm a bit rusty. I was hoping to get some help with texturing a recent object I am making.

Here is the image of the untextured object I have made Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TH5pCll.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	125565

And here is what I intend to make it look like (more or less) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DJzD1Vj.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	125566

The object currently has no textures, but I did define portions of the model within lightwave as Parts. I am looking to create a very high resolution UV map for it. Most of my texturing experience is either applying basic image maps or procedural textures. I know how UV's work in a general context, but I have NEVER done a successful UV in Lightwave. I attempted creating both an Atlas and cylindrical map, but they are a mess. I am familiar with the new Node system (as well as the classic Lightwave texture system). Ideally I would like to limit the number of maps (maybee even to 1) so that I can export this to a game engine (udk/untiy/etc) So here are the questions I have:

1) Am i correct to assume that a UV map would be the best way to texture this object?
    2) What other methods/programs would be recommended to texture this object?
    3) Does anyone have any links to in-depth guides on how to do UV maps in Lightwave?

I have access to Lightwave, Photoshop, and ZBrush.

Thank you so much for your time!

TrueArt Support
    I would make UV map, set up Occlusion node, bake it to image, and use it as one layer in Photoshop.

I know how UV's work in a general context, but I have NEVER done a successful UV in Lightwave.
    Traditional way, without 3rd party uv tools, is to disconnect parts. And use UV texture projection for just that part. Don't use cylindrical uv projection for entire mesh, use it only for cylindrical geometry.

Are you familiar with morph-hand-unwrapping uv technique?

A mixture of texture maps and procedurals is how I would do it. Texture maps for the signs, procedurals for the rest, unless you want some exact placement of grime, then texture maps as well for that. If you have a big enough photo you could use that as a basis for your texture map.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

I would agree with the previous posts, however, with UV mapping as shrox mentioned texture would be good for placement purposes. If you were to UV map, I would use planar UV mapping, see the attached image.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UV_Mapping_Tardis.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	125573

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    A mixture of texture maps and procedurals is how I would do it. Texture maps for the signs, procedurals for the rest, unless you want some exact placement of grime, then texture maps as well for that. If you have a big enough photo you could use that as a basis for your texture map.
    But he will need uv map anyway, and bake textures, since it's object for 3d game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    But he will need uv map anyway, and bake textures, since it's object for 3d game.
    Oh, I missed that. Nevermind.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.