Thread: Recap of A/V connections into and out of TalkShow

Recap of A/V connections into and out of TalkShow

I think I understand most of the connections, but not all. If these questions are too specific for the forum, what is the best way to get answers before purchasing? Thanks!

BACKGROUND
    1. I have a Production Switcher (BP), an Audio Mixer (Yahama), a Recorder (Ki Pro) and an Encoder (for LifeStream sessions).
    2. The video from my Production Switcher and the audio from by Audio Mixer get embedded together at the Recorder; the combined signal goes to the LifeStream Encoder.
    3. I have a cable modem, then a router, then multiple switches.
    4. I am assuming a separate USB keyboard and a DVI or HDMI monitor connection for the TalkShow unit.

QUESTIONS ABOUT AUDIO FOR TALKSHOW
    1. I am assuming that I would use a HD/SDI cable OUT from TalkShow, and, IN to the Production Switcher. Is that correct?
    2. I am assuming that I would use a HD/SDI cable OUT from the Production Switcher, and, IN to TalkShow. Is that correct?
    3. I am assuming that I would take 2 XLR cables and connect AUDIO OUT on TalkShow, and to the Audio Mixer. Is that correct?
    4. I am assuming that I would take 2 XLR cables and connect from the Audio Mixer, to AUDIO IN on TalkShow. Is that correct?
    5. This signal, from the Audio Mixer to AUDIO IN on TalkShow would be a Mix Minus signal. Is that correct?
    6. I am assuming that I would use Ethernet Out from TalkShow to a port on one of the Switch ports (or on the Router). Is that correct?
    7. Do I need to use an additional Ethernet cable to come back from one of the Switch ports (or on the Router)? I see two Ethernet connections on the TalkShow unit. Or, is the first Ethernet connection bi-directional, and the second Ethernet connection for something else ... and, if so, for what?

FINALLY
    Just to make sure that I am "getting it", if I wanted to use two separate TalkShow units for two separate interviewees (but one 3-way interview), would I be duplicating all these same connections with the two TalkShow units to and from the Production Switcher, the Audio Mixer, and the internet? And, if so, would the two interviewees be able to hear each other, as well as the interviewer?
    Last edited by Columbo11; 11-14-2014 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbo11 View Post
    I think I understand most of the connections, but not all. If these questions are too specific for the forum, what is the best way to get answers before purchasing? Thanks!

BACKGROUND
    1. I have a Production Switcher (BP), an Audio Mixer (Yahama), a Recorder (Ki Pro) and an Encoder (for LifeStream sessions).
    2. The video from my Production Switcher and the audio from by Audio Mixer get embedded together at the Recorder; the combined signal goes to the LifeStream Encoder.
    3. I have a cable modem, then a router, then multiple switches.
    4. I am assuming a separate USB keyboard and a DVI or HDMI monitor connection for the TalkShow unit.
    1 - 3 do not seem to require comment. 4 is correct.

QUESTIONS ABOUT AUDIO FOR TALKSHOW
    1. I am assuming that I would use a HD/SDI cable OUT from TalkShow, and, IN to the Production Switcher. Is that correct?
    2. I am assuming that I would use a HD/SDI cable OUT from the Production Switcher, and, IN to TalkShow. Is that correct?
    3. I am assuming that I would take 2 XLR cables and connect AUDIO OUT on TalkShow, and to the Audio Mixer. Is that correct?
    4. I am assuming that I would take 2 XLR cables and connect from the Audio Mixer, to AUDIO IN on TalkShow. Is that correct?
    5. This signal, from the Audio Mixer to AUDIO IN on TalkShow would be a Mix Minus signal. Is that correct?
    6. I am assuming that I would use Ethernet Out from TalkShow to a port on one of the Switch ports (or on the Router). Is that correct?
    7. Do I need to use an additional Ethernet cable to come back from one of the Switch ports (or on the Router)? I see two Ethernet connections on the TalkShow unit. Or, is the first Ethernet connection bi-directional, and the second Ethernet connection for something else ... and, if so, for what?
    These don't all see to be "QUESTIONS ABOUT AUDIO ", so I hope I'm not misunderstanding. Setting that aside:

1-5: yes.
    6 and 7 - Ethernet isn't really uni-directional. A single connection can serve for the Skype TX connection to the Internet. The second ethernet port on TalkShow just gives you some flexibility and added bandwidth if your environment calls for it. For example, you might use one network connection to handle all traffic between TalkShow and a TriCaster, including audio, video and tally (meaning you could forget about XLR and SDI cables), while using the other to connect to the Internet.

FINALLY
    Just to make sure that I am "getting it", if I wanted to use two separate TalkShow units for two separate interviewees (but one 3-way interview), would I be duplicating all these same connections with the two TalkShow units to and from the Production Switcher, the Audio Mixer, and the internet? And, if so, would the two interviewees be able to hear each other, as well as the interviewer?
    What the interviewees can hear in this setup depends entirely on what you supply to the return audio input on TalkShow. IF you create two mix minuses, each specific to one caller ('minusing' their audio only), then they will hear the entire conversation minus their own audio contribution.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi Steve,

You were correct to assume that the questions were not just Audio. I started to break my questions into audio and video and other, but that turned out to be too cumbersome. After typing the questions and realize that I did not need the different categories, I forgot to go back and delete the header.

Thank you very much for reviewing this. Thanks for the heads-up on the Ethernet connection. And, finally, I understand the note that the audio mixes would be specific to the individual interviewees.

Bottom-line, this was very helpful !!

PS