Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ipiSoft Now Rental Only

ipiSoft Now Rental Only

And yet another developer who thinks they can make more money forcing customers to rent their software.

http://ipisoft.com/store

Seems like there are a few who don't like it there as well.

Yeah.. I was on the verge of jumping on it but since they've decided to get greedy it's a big NO THANKS from me!

Looks like Brekel is planning on staying away from rental-only. Great to hear a developer say this!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...23#post7928723

Blog Entries
    That sucks
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

Yep, I was waiting for iPisoft's version 3 release and was ready to buy it, but when I found out about them going to the subscription model, I started researching other options. Looking at Perception Neuron right now. That may be a really good mocap system. (available in February)

The kinect hardware is being neglected by MS anyway so good luck Ipi.

Quote Originally Posted by snsmoore View Post
    Yep, I was waiting for iPisoft's version 3 release and was ready to buy it, but when I found out about them going to the subscription model, I started researching other options. Looking at Perception Neuron right now. That may be a really good mocap system. (available in February)
    What was the price before they went rental?

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    What was the price before they went rental?
    From the wayback machine...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ipiOrig.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	125413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ipiRental.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	125414

As far as the pricing goes these guys are completely mental. I think they have missed the entire point of rentals. My entire reasoning for being in favor of rentals is the cost savings to me in the long run. This pricing is way out of whack.

Yup. This is out and out greed IMO. They could have EASILY offered a much lower rental price alongside of their perpetual licensing.

I'm quite sure that if the price were right they would be able to easily coexist.

I'll be comparing Brekel and Nevron over the coming years... Brekel still needs multi-camera support which is basically in alpha stages right now. Nevron's development is a mystery and there's two possible directions it could go in:

1) The LW3DG could work to enhance the workflow revolving around integrated motion capture. This could be in the form of support for more devices, possibility of using multiple camera setups, etc.

2) Greatly improve the retargeting workflows of Nevron. I'm fairly certain this is on the table already, but custom rig retargeting is really needed.

I'll be interested to see what they come up with next year.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 11-09-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    I'll be comparing Brekel and Nevron over the coming years... Brekel still needs multi-camera support which is basically in alpha stages right now. Nevron's development is a mystery and there's two possible directions it could go in:

1) The LW3DG could work to enhance the workflow revolving around integrated motion capture. This could be in the form of support for more devices, possibility of using multiple camera setups, etc.

2) Greatly improve the retargeting workflows of Nevron. I'm fairly certain this is on the table already, but custom rig retargeting is really needed.

You forgot the third option..

3) Letting Nevron go by the wayside like Rendition and Vidget and arguably SpeedEdit.

Considering the lack of ANYTHING about what is going on with Nevron and lack of any communication at all... this IS a viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post

nevron mocap is simply a connection from a custom rig to the kinect SDK, Newtek didnt develop any of the tracking algorithms or exotic coding, Microsoft did. Newtek simply retargets to the skeleton the SDK outputs internally, and wrapped a GUI around Kinect SDK functions. Supporting more devices multiple cameras ect goes way way beyond the amount of work they had to do to get nevron running.

Unless it is in the SDK, I doubt you will see it

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    As far as the pricing goes these guys are completely mental. I think they have missed the entire point of rentals. My entire reasoning for being in favor of rentals is the cost savings to me in the long run. This pricing is way out of whack.

Agreed. This is the wrong way to implement rentals. This is pure greed!
    Some people like Greenlaw have spent so much on mocap hardware he'll probably be renting.
    But I'm pretty sure other users at newtek will stay at version 2.

Kind of dumb to be "Motion Capture for the Masses"
    when the price is like that now. They will probably remove that soon.
    Last edited by lightscape; 11-09-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Yup....way too expensive for rental.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast