Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: lw12 - is there any hint of whats going to be in it?

lets make some noise ..till getting a word from LW3DG

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    lets make some noise ..till getting a word from LW3DG
    OH yeah - that's proven to work so well in the past....
    pffffft...... ;-(
    Somewhere between the Darkness and the Light

I dont know if its the complete reason, but part of the reason we dont hear anything from LW3DG hardly anymore is because Rob said that in the past, announcements were made and then things had to change during development, then people got angry. For instance, it was said that for the version 9 release that point editing/animation would be possible and then that didnt work out so well at that stage of development and people felt like promises were broken. And to some degree, it makes sense to not make announcements prematurely.

Unfortunately, theyve gone the complete opposite direction and now dont communicate at all with the userbase. And the net result of that is rampant speculation (both goood and bad) and generates zero interest in LightWave and encourages people to look elsewhere for other products that are actually or seemingly making progress. Which is unfortunate because its not the pace of LightWave development that has to improve, its the way they encourage people to be excited about their product along the way. What they're doing now in their current approach is only adding weight to the talk you see around the web about LightWave's future. So when you see someone say LightWave is dying a slow death (which i just saw the other day on The Foundry's forum), it might not even be true at all but it's not like you can point to anything that says otherwise at this point.

in my new workplace where there's only one guy who knows a guy who uses LW and the rest thinks LW is an abandoned app and I have to
    correct them that it's XSI and they say, yeah, sure bro, so heck, it's pretty discouraging especially seeing them prospering pretty well with other apps.
    So I am that interesting circus animal who uses a strange and unknown app, feels really like I am an alien in green suit.
    And on this side there's this BIG silence emanating from the Tower of Silent Treatment all shrouded in big fog and mists.

Well, Avatar 2 is still in pre-production so maybe Rob is working that???
    "I don't have it... you want half my omelette?"

Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post
    Hi, yet another lw 12 post.
    was just wondering about newtek and how it's release for 12 is going to happen and when.
    Is newtek going to tell us before it releases 12 whats going to be in 12? or are they just going to surprise us?

I'd really like to know whats coming up for lw 12.
    =)
    You will. And with plenty of time to decide what to do. Usually they have a re-anouncement once features they will include are locked down. Then there is usually a month or more - from what I can recall anyway - before it is actually released.

Beyond that, there is no point in even asking. When they are ready they will announce and then you'll know.

Lightwave 2015, and it will be subscription based

You guys are really funny!! =)
    well lets hope lw 12 is as awesome AS 11.6.3 is

"finally we'll get the "Eagle in a Barrel" plugin feature..PLEASE! "
    would you settle for a teapot generator
    is that still included with lw? hmm.. quick look i didn't see it anywhere.
    anyone recall what version it was shipped with, i think it worked in 5.6 =)
    Last edited by vonpietro; 11-04-2014 at 02:51 PM.
    [url]https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kn21A[/u-- rl]
    fusion https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion
    resolve https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...avinciresolve/

"well lets hope lw 12 is as awesome AS 11.6.3 is"

That'll be easy.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Not doing nothing.... Tranimatronic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vonpietro View Post

"finally we'll get the "Eagle in a Barrel" plugin feature..PLEASE! "
    How many years has this feature been in development and STILL no news from Newtek

Insane Carrot Cake Eater eagleeyed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarverdGrad View Post
    Lightwave 2015, and it will be subscription based
    I really, really hope not.

Adobe is the only company I find subscription software to be worth the money. $49 AU monthly ($600 a year) plus a couple of months free each year for the last couple of years has always been great value to me, you get a awful lot for that.

On the other hand, even programs that are designed to do just part of the 3D pipeline are in my opinion asking insane prices.

iPisoft has just changed to subscription, and gone from $1495 for a permanent license, to $1195 a year. I wont be upgrading any further now this has come out the bag.
    Faceshift, a program that only does Kinect Facial capture, $800 a year for the base version, $1500 for pro.

Marvellous designer is a lot more reasonable, asking $360 for a annual license. I paid for the perpetual ($550) just so I actually was able to use it whenever I wanted for more than 12 months.

Autodesk 3ds Max Entertainment Creation Suite Standard: $2750 a year.

Unless the price is really competitive if they go down the subscription route, I will be sticking to 11.
    I hate the thought of paying that much money for something I wont be able to use after 12 months.

On the other hand, if they did what The Foundry do where you just pay a yearly maintenance fee that would be a ton better. At least if you stop paying you can still use the software version you are paid up til.

Even better, stick with what they do now. I love what they do now.

Although the silence is deafening. I really don't want LW to cease development, however I personally am getting that impression, however true or not.
    Last edited by eagleeyed; 11-04-2014 at 07:40 PM.
    Because you can never have too much pudding.
    ----------
    LightWave 2015 - sprinkled with LW-Cad 5, TurbulenceFD, Advanced Placement and Choc Drops for extra flavour
    i7-2600, 16GB RAM, Win 10 Pro

Adobe is the only company I find subscription software to be worth the money. $49 AU monthly ($600 a year) plus a couple of months free each year for the last couple of years has always been great value to me, you get a awful lot for that.
    for now, agree, until they increase the price.

iPisoft has just changed to subscription, and gone from $1495 for a permanent license, to $1195 a year.
    thanks, that leaves out iPi Soft for me. luckily i got myself Nevron Motion, which seems better anyway.

Marvellous designer is a lot more reasonable, asking $360 for a annual license.
    consider Syflex for LightWave, only $200

Autodesk 3ds Max Entertainment Creation Suite Standard: $2750 a year.
    imo, not worth, by far. i do like a lot the fact that i can rent Max or Maya monthly for $300 though,
    should a crisis where i absolutely must use those apps emerge.

if they did what The Foundry do where you just pay a yearly maintenance fee that would be a ton better.
    isn't that how Autodesk started?... no thanks :l

talking apps, just want to add that Houdini Indie is $200 a year
    www.sidefx.com/indie installation > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag29xX6FFBk

LW subscription? = no way!

Although the silence is deafening. I really don't want LW to cease development, however I personally am getting that impression, however true or not.
    i don't think so, it just seems that the silent route is a new path they have chosen.
    it's probably less quiet if you are in the LightWave beta program.

anyway, i've got other apps to explore, so no rush for me
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I have a hard time understanding why they work hard through marketing etc. to gain any momentum, just to throw it out the window by going completely dark and allow for speculation and a presumed death. Seems like a waste of marketing resources to me. But it isn't the first time they shoot themselves in the foot and from that POV I would not call it a "NEW" path.....

well, not saying i support it.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

in software business public perception of silence usually pretty negative..
    if there are some progress ..let people know.. ok we lost ikeda but doing this or that...we focus on that.. etc etc..

i dont know.. we are not so hard to handle anyway as a community we are pretty much faithful users..
    Last edited by tyrot; 11-05-2014 at 02:17 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast