Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Tricaster with Google+. Does anyone have any experience?

Using Tricaster with Google+. Does anyone have any experience?

I've heard on a few podcasts recently that using the Google+ system for streaming is far easier and less restrictive than the YouTube Streaming process. Does anyone have any experience of using both and can comment if this is true or not?

I'm just looking into the webinar type situation although those I've been reading about are doing it all internally via a Mac with lots of Apps, I would think it would be easier to do it with my TC-40 and then just use one PC with a 'component in' board (in my case) and another PC for iVGA'ing contributors into my program.

I would then anticipate recording it all on the Tricaster to compress and output it all at a higher quality later.

My question is really more about bandwidth. I suffer slightly with only .5 Meg up and 7 Meg down and I know this is next to useless for 'proper streaming' I just wonder if there's a solution here so (a) the Google+ experience is of watchable quality for the end user when 'live' and (b) the process I describe would ensure all the 'studio' based content was at maximum quality.

I realise of course that there is still a requirement to compress the final production afterwards.

Any thoughts folks?

Are you talking about Google Hangouts? I don't think that Google+ itself streams, it's like Facebook.

If Google Hangouts is what you are taking about, its not a streaming service, but a VOIP service (similar to Skype). This isn't so easy to get a signal into, I have a workflow that can work with some model TriCastrer (not the TC40 though). It is using my Skype to TriCaster workflow, but replacing Skype with Google Hangouts. http://bit.ly/kanesworld
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Yes Kane I do mean Google Hangout.

I've downloaded your pdf but it does seem far more complicated than I imagined. I think I'll do my best to experiment and explain any results on here.

Yes, there are a lot of steps in that PDF. It won't work with a TriCaster 40 since it doesn't have network output capabilities.

Looking at Google Hangouts, it appears that you are limited to 15 users that can 'participate' and the rest of the users can just watch. Interesting idea on using it for streaming, not really what it is designed for, but might handle it okay for a certain number of users. You would need to find a way to get the output of the TriCaster into another computers as an UVC (USB Video Class) device so that Google Hangouts can grab the video and audio.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I've heard good things about the Magewell USB 3 capture devices. Appear to the OS as a USB UVC device.

I've got a Blackmagic Board in another machine which takes, component and sdi in as well as audio so that should be fairly straight forward. But I wasn't aware of the 15 participants.

Every system has a 'snag' eh?

We use this when doing a hangout:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc..._usblive2.html

It costs us $50, I take the composite video off of our VDA and split the audio off of the headphone jack.
    It only does SD but works fine for our purposes. We have a T40 version 1
    Gear Used:
    TriCaster: 40
    Cams: Panasonic AVCHD
    http://studio.ourtrainingacademy.com
    Newtek User since VT2.0

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    Are you talking about Google Hangouts? I don't think that Google+ itself streams, it's like Facebook.

If Google Hangouts is what you are taking about, its not a streaming service, but a VOIP service (similar to Skype). This isn't so easy to get a signal into, I have a workflow that can work with some model TriCastrer (not the TC40 though). It is using my Skype to TriCaster workflow, but replacing Skype with Google Hangouts. http://bit.ly/kanesworld
    Hi Kane
    I have a tricaster Mini HD and Talkshow. I have real issues with Live Events on Youtube due to bitrates and upload speeds. Before I used Tricaster I did some google hangouts and this worked fine. (Using a product called 'WebinarJam' Using this you can potentially have 1,000s of watchers on your hangout.

Is it now possible with the mini to use hangouts instead of live events? Or is is still a log of 'grief' getting it all set up?

You need to get the output of the Mini turned into a UVC (USB Video Class) device so that something like Google Hangouts will be able to access it.

I've got the same Magewell HDMI to USB3 adapter listed above and I can say it works great. I use mine to send the output of TriCaster into GoToMeeting so it appears as a webcam input. It easy and the video quality is excellent.
    http://www.amazon.com/Magewell-XI100...ll+hdmi+to+usb

I came up with a previous method get the NETWORK output of a TriCaster turned into a UVC device just using software, but its a pain to get running. After using the Magewell adapter, I would never use this previous method.

Someone else mentioned above another adapter that works, however it is composite so it would be SD video resolution only. The Magewell adapter will work all the way up to 1080 video.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

You need to get the output of the Mini turned into a UVC (USB Video Class) device so that something like Google Hangouts will be able to access it.

I've got the same Magewell HDMI to USB3 adapter listed above and I can say it works great. I use mine to send the output of TriCaster into GoToMeeting so it appears as a webcam input. It easy and the video quality is excellent.
    http://www.amazon.com/Magewell-XI100...ll+hdmi+to+usb

I came up with a previous method get the NETWORK output of a TriCaster turned into a UVC device just using software, but its a pain to get running. After using the Magewell adapter, I would never use this previous method.

Someone else mentioned above another adapter that works, however it is composite so it would be SD video resolution only. The Magewell adapter will work all the way up to 1080 video.
    Hi, do you know if this will work as a in put on the tricaster. , eg can I capture a hdmi camera with it ?

NET inputs do support UVC devices, so it should work, but I've not tried it.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I just tried the Magewell HDMI to USB into a NET input. It works, I appear to get 30fps video using a USB3 port on my TC Mini. However, it is squeezing the video horizontally a little bit, I think I'm getting 16x10 aspect ratio or 1920x1200 resolution, which is listed as the default resolution the Magewell works at. There aren't any adjustments, it's just plug and play, so I'm think I'm stuck with that.
    Last edited by kanep; 11-10-2015 at 02:55 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Ok, so this could be a way to get hdmi into the 410

I just tried the Magewell HDMI to USB into a NET input. It works, I appear to get 30fps video using a USB3 port on my TC Mini. However, it is squeezing the video horizontally a little bit, I think I'm getting 16x10 aspect ratio or 1920x1200 resolution, which is listed as the default resolution the Magewell works at. There aren't any adjustments, it's just plug and play, so I'm think I'm stuck with that.
    Hi Kane
    I took your advice and got the Magewell. It arrived this morning
    My idea is to use it to push my program out to google hangouts so my tricaster mini is producing the complete show. I do this through a product called WebinarJam. With this you can have UN-limited participants in the hangout.
    Anyway .... I have a slight issue that you maybe able to help with.
    My skype instantly sees the magewell.
    Coming out of the tricaster mini I have 1, going to a monitor under my camera reflected in prompter window so I can monitor my own output as I am talking to camera. I have the second output (2) going into the Magewell and then into Macbook pro where Skype is.
    BUT! all I see is a black window in skype. I KNOW the program out is getting to the magewell as if I interswap the cable to my monitor both outputs 1 and 2 work.

So.... what is causing the black screen in the skype window where I should be seeing the program output?

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Martin

I don't have Mac system to test it on. But on the Windows side, the Magewell appears as an option that Skype can use, but I do have to go in and select it. Not sure if it is the same with Skype on Mac.

Can you try another app on your Mac to see if the Magewell works? Like VLC or OBS?

One possible thing to try is making sure the firmware is updated on the unit. One of the other guys a NewTek got one of these units and had some problems. Magewell told him to update the firmware and that fixed it. http://www.magewell.com/usb-capture-hdmi/support I think the firmware update can only be done from a PC.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast