Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Best bang for buck Video Editing Software

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    For me, a significant feature is how Fusion handles EXR files. Assuming you embedded the auxiliary channels with proper 'Fusion friendly' names, the channels are immediately recognized. For example, need motion blur? If you rendered with embedded motion vectors, just add a Vector Blur node. Fusion automatically reads the vector channel and adds proper motion blur to your Lightwave renders.

G.
    I'd like that: my hobby level experiments w/LW+AE+EXRTrader have been... inadequate. Probably due to operator incompetence, but still.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by inkpen3d View Post
    A couple of years ago I upgraded my old Fusion 4 license ( which, like you I got thrown in with LW) to the new (at the time) Fusion 6 for just $590, which included the cost of the (required) hardware dongle and its shipment (the basic cost of the upgrade was $495). If you contact support (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/fusion) at Blackmagic Design they might be able to provide you with a similar offer - worth a shot if you can get Fusion 7 with Dimension and Generation for a similar price!
    I doubt BM will do anything here. They won't - at least not yet - allow discounts (AFAIK) to upgrade to the pro version for anyone with a full license of Fusion and not on maintenance. A DF4 license mean essentially nothing to them and the free version would be what they would suggest. I've got Fusion 6 - but not on maintenance - and I will have to pay $995 to get the pro version. So no discount even for me who paid lots more over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon2.0 View Post
    I doubt BM will do anything here. They won't - at least not yet - allow discounts (AFAIK) to upgrade to the pro version for anyone with a full license of Fusion and not on maintenance. A DF4 license mean essentially nothing to them and the free version would be what they would suggest. I've got Fusion 6 - but not on maintenance - and I will have to pay $995 to get the pro version. So no discount even for me who paid lots more over the years.
    Yes, but at the time I upgraded to F6 I was not paying a yearly a maintenance fee and yet Eyeon still let me upgrade for $495 (+ the fee for the dongle/delivery). And, being so impressed by the quality of the product, I subsequently have been paying a yearly maintenance fee in order to get maintenance upgrades and new releases, so Eyeon's "loss leader" in letting me have the cheap upgrade paid off in the long term as far as Eyeon were concerned.

So, if BM follow the same reasoning as Eyeon did, they may indeed allow someone to upgrade from Fusion 3/4 to Fusion 7 for ~$495 knowing that there's a significant chance that they'll be able to reap a yearly maintenance fees of $495 from that customer. If it turns out that the customer doesn't opt for paying a yearly maintenance fee then BM have only lost out to the tune of $500.

It's well worth a quick email or phone call to BM support - nothing ventured, nothing gained!
    iemedia solutions:
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel
    Scavengers SciFi novel:
    Amazon UK
    Amazon USA

Quote Originally Posted by inkpen3d View Post
    Yes, but at the time I upgraded to F6 I was not paying a yearly a maintenance fee and yet Eyeon still let me upgrade for $495 (+ the fee for the dongle/delivery). And, being so impressed by the quality of the product, I subsequently have been paying a yearly maintenance fee in order to get maintenance upgrades and new releases, so Eyeon's "loss leader" in letting me have the cheap upgrade paid off in the long term as far as Eyeon were concerned.

So, if BM follow the same reasoning as Eyeon did, they may indeed allow someone to upgrade from Fusion 3/4 to Fusion 7 for ~$495 knowing that there's a significant chance that they'll be able to reap a yearly maintenance fees of $495 from that customer. If it turns out that the customer doesn't opt for paying a yearly maintenance fee then BM have only lost out to the tune of $500.

It's well worth a quick email or phone call to BM support - nothing ventured, nothing gained!
    I would tend to agree. But if they aren't going to give a discount to people like myself who have the full version of Fusion 6, why would they give any discounts to someone on the stripped down version of DF4+ that they got free with LW? And will there be a maintenance fee? I hadn't seen anything about that, but then I haven't delved too deeply into it yet.

..... Assuming you embedded the auxiliary channels with proper 'Fusion friendly' names, the channels are immediately recognized. For example, need motion blur? If you rendered with embedded motion vectors, just add a Vector Blur node. Fusion automatically reads the vector channel and adds proper motion blur to your Lightwave renders.

G.
    Any good reference on what the "fusion friendly" names are? or where to look for a mini tut on this? I could google it, and experiment as usual, but figured you might have it handy. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Any good reference on what the "fusion friendly" names are? or where to look for a mini tut on this? I could google it, and experiment as usual, but figured you might have it handy. =)
    I think it's in the Fusion manual, probably under auxiliary channels or EXR or something like that. It's probably in the exrTrader manual too. I'll see if I can track down the full list.

G.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    The simplest way is to look at the EXR saver in Fusion, since it uses the expected channel names as a default.

I'll include a preset with the supported channels with the next release of exrTrader as well.

Cheers,
    Mike

Oh, duh. Yeah, that works too.

Thanks Mike. It's really late here so the obvious isn't so obvious to me at the moment.

G.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Oh, duh. Yeah, that works too.

Thanks Mike. It's really late here so the obvious isn't so obvious to me at the moment.

G.
    Hehe, I had an unfair advantage: Early morning plus caffeine - even though I suspect it's mainly due to the later.

Cheers,,
    Mike

videopad looks pretty good, it's easy to learn.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789