Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bang for buck Video Editing Software

Best bang for buck Video Editing Software

I've been out of the loop on video editing software for a long time. I'm looking at getting into doing some architectural animations and I'm looking for some good video editing software for cutting them together with transitions and music etc. I used After Effects many years ago for some minor editing and compositing work but I'm looking for something a bit cheaper that has all the stuff I need for basic editing. I was considering getting Corel Video Studio Pro. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

There are (or at least, used to be - haven't looked lately) some inexpensive versions of Vegas that weren't half bad.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I feel sony vegas edit is a good investment, though some may consider that moderate in the expense category but the licenses are perpetual. I got my copy for about $400.

I would not recommend Corel Visual Studio to anyone; it is only a small step above Microsoft Movie Maker and it has a LOT of workflow problems that will basically have you running into a brick wall at some point. It is not designed for production use.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

I'm a big fan of Premiere Pro, I love the built-in titler. Uses a lot of the same UI as After Effects. Some people hate the whole cloud thing, but mine has paid for itself a few times over every month.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    There are (or at least, used to be - haven't looked lately) some inexpensive versions of Vegas that weren't half bad.
    That's another piece of software I was considering and it might be a good alternative to Premiere or After Effects.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    I feel sony vegas edit is a good investment, though some may consider that moderate in the expense category but the licenses are perpetual. I got my copy for about $400.

I would not recommend Corel Visual Studio to anyone; it is only a small step above Microsoft Movie Maker and it has a LOT of workflow problems that will basically have you running into a brick wall at some point. It is not designed for production use.
    I consider myself to be a bit of a control freak when it comes to my work so maybe it's a good idea for me to avoid Corel Video Studio in favor of a more professional software.

How about Hitfilm 2 Ultimate (Hitfilm 3 Pro has just been announced for no extra cost)
    This does Editing/Compositing/Effects.
    http://hitfilm.com/
    $299 us
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

I've used Vegas Pro9 for lots of animation editing and have had no problems. Over on the Foundry forum there was some stability issues mentioned, but I've never experienced them. Then again, I'm using an older version. But for me, Vegas has been great - and it too has a built in Titler. And unlike Premiere - you can OWN the license.

The pro version of Vegas is quite nice. I was referring to lesser editions as potentially being quite a bargain. I bought one as a gift for someone once ... basically to get out of doing an edit job for them for free.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    The pro version of Vegas is quite nice. I was referring to lesser editions as potentially being quite a bargain. I bought one as a gift for someone once ... basically to get out of doing an edit job for them for free.
    Wise move.

I don't have any experience with the "lesser versions," but I would bet they are pretty good as well.

And as Markc mentioned above, Hitfilm3 was just announced and it is looking VERY good - OpenEXR support finally. I don't know how good an editor it is - or the titling for that matter - but it is definitely something I would look into if you're not interested in the more expensive Vegas Pro version.

best bang for the buck....

Davinci....and its free....

Yep, I would have thought of Da Vinci Resolve Light, which is quite complete for a free app.

If not, you can also give a go to Lightworks, although I have not tested it, so I don't what it's good at.
    www.lwks.com
    Last edited by CaptainMarlowe; 10-27-2014 at 03:25 PM.

I currently use Vegas Pro 13...been using Vegas since version 3 or 4. It's very easy to use and powerful. I sometimes use Premiere when I'm working on a computer that doesn't have Vegas--since I'm on CC, it's convenient to install anywhere I need it...but I really like using Vegas much better and will use it instead when I can.

Since Version 9 or 10, Vegas will randomly crash on quit, which is annoying but the crash hasn't been destructive. Occasionally the build notes will report it as fixed, but I still get the crash sometimes. Apart from that, Vegas runs well and I've never had a problem with it.

The interface is very similar to their music editing program Acid, so if you use that too, learning Vegas is a snap.

And as noted above, it's a perpetual license. They release a major upgrade about every year. I skipped an upgrade once but there was no penalty when I upgraded to a later version. License is standard--you can install on one workstation and one mobile computer. You can transfer to a different machine a few times without hassle but if you do this too many times, you'll need to contact them.

G.

I'd go with Vegas too, Hitfilm is very slow, Premier is fine, I have to use it a lot, but Vegas is cheaper and it has a better workflow.

No idea about Da Vinci or lightworks, being free software you never know if it's ready for serious work. I've tried some that are quite bad, but others have surprised me. Gimp for example is amazing, a very viable photoshop alternative. It's awkward if you are used to photoshop and it's missing a few useful things but overall it's amazing that it's free. Same goes for DraftSight, a free alternative to AutoCAD. and Of course Blender.

I use Grass Valley's Edius for all my editing. It's not the cheapest out there but it can handle just about any file type, has DVD authoring software embedded in it, stereoscopic editing, and there are many 3rd party plugins available for it, including RX3, and many New Blue plugins. It also is not dependent on a video card they way some others are, so it runs just as well on a laptop.

Although I've never tried it, I understand that it is certified to work under Boot Camp.
    For Is and Is-not though with Rule and Line
    And UP-AND-DOWN by Logic I define,
    Of all that one should care to fathom, I
    was never deep in anything but--Wine.

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions! I'm thinking "Vegas Pro 13 Edit" for $400 is probably a safe bet. I might look into Da Vinci and some of the others mentioned before I make a purchase decision. Even though I'm familiar with After Effects I think I'm going to avoid Adobe products mainly because I don't really like their plans and options.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast