Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any poly lines to mesh or polytubes plugin available?

Any poly lines to mesh or polytubes plugin available?

Hi folks!

Is there a polyline to polymesh/polytube plugin somewhere?

I have been experimenting with polylines by either copy edges and paste to another layer from some geometry to get polylines(fiberfx strandmaker works too) and also doing some tree and root stuff with the line mode from dpont verdure.

now I am using this to create complex skeleton (polyline structures) and I deform those in different ways with twisting or moving as I want the structure to be, also using heatshrink to wrap on deformed geometry.
    I then use convert polylines to metaedges and then freezing it and reduce poly and merge triangles to get a cleaner quad mesh.

unfortunatly if I want to create a root structure to follow deformed geometry..there is no problem with heatshrink and deforming the polylines over that geometry, but when I convert to metaedges.. one always have to rezise the polylines to get the metaedges blend properly and that will screw up the proper size wrap around the geometry.

so I would really like to get my hands on some tool that can create polytubes or mesh from such polylines in a better way than metaedges does, and it needs to be able to join the mesh or tube where polylines intersect.

Michael

I am not sure if this is what you want, but the link is not working anymore to download it. It is for Modeler 32 bit.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p.../entry/truss2/

This is the video of the tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMLs9-tJTu8

bit difficult to visualize what you are doing, but did you try the Tube Point Chain plugin ?

...or alternatively Truss as ivanze mentions...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Maybe not exactly the thing but render lines with negative value as in this old LW tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fYdgZDYXE8

None of the methods you guys are showing will do it...truss do not work on polylines, and it also donīt connect the truss pieces.
    render lines are out of the question..I am using polylines as some sort of zbrush modeling tool, but in lightwave with metaedges...and I want model stuff in case I want to 3d print something.
    Tube point polychain I donīt think will work..since it will not join multi polychains.

why I use polylines?...well they are so easy to create either by selecting dedicated edges from geometry copy and paste to another layer and they will be polylines..if I twist them or move them I can with metaedges see how the mesh will look roughly when I move the points in the polylines in wireframe and in other shaded viewport I can see the metamesh update and blend as I move the points.

It is not only to do root stuff I want this..if the lightwave team would have developed metaedges and metaballs better, it would be similar to zbrush skinning with adaptive mesh, as it is now it works decently for organic structures where I can move or twist the polylines in some cool ways and then convert ot metaedges, freeze it to a mesh and then reduce polys and merge triīs to get a cleaner quad mesh.
    If I want it to be symmetrical I could import to sculptris and activate symmetry and it will automaticly remove unzymmetrical parts.

But it would be awesome if they could work on that metaedges to be better in terms of a new way to skin it, basicly it could be some sort of interactive tool like verdure where you can edit the line skelegon and extend pointīs or move it and have another viewport update with subpatches properly, that is something you can not do though with dpont verdure...itīs only workable through the parameters and no point manual editing and you can not pick up any polylines that are premade.

If I get the time I will do a recording of the process working with polylines and metaedges to create fast meshes, the problem is there though when I want the polylines that is converted to a mesh that will wrap around background geometry...since polylines always need to be rescaled if you convert them to metaedges..by default the metaedges are always huge and initiates in a blob mess until you rescale the polylines.

working with polylines and some sort of adaptive skin and being able to also cut polylines or add points to them and extend points polylines..that would be some sort of competitor for zbrush metasphere creation tools(at least for that style of creation part)

Tube point polychain I donīt think will work..since it will not join muliti polychains.
    correct, after operation, one would have to use metamesh http://www.3rdpowers.com/index_store.html
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

correct, after operation, one would have to use metamesh http://www.3rdpowers.com/index_store.html
    Yeah..I need to get me that plugin someday, really think it will help out for organic modeling definitly-
    seems like some sort of underlying technique might be able to work with polyline creation so that it also creates a mesh while drawing polylines and editing them, and also fusing them together.
    It is however a distraction from effective modeling workflow if one have to use metamesh afterwards, just as using metaedges and freezing and reduce polys and merge tris are.

the base modeling workflow principle is this...
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....ptris-zymmetry

I will do a recording of it to showcase it better, this doesnīt do the idea any justice until you see it in action properly.

if you draw out a polyface with some divisions and have symmetry on and in Edge mode select left or right side polyline structure in the form of legs and body skelegons..you could create base figure shapes in a few seconds when you copy and paste edges to another layer so they converts to polylines..then convert to metaedge mesh.

You can actually also use skelegons in modeler to draw out main shape and then convert to metaedge mesh.

why would anyone do this..instead of using magic bevel or tweak or extending polyfaces? well...you can edit the polylines as you se fit to change the form without distorting polyfaces, you can do that when working with magic bevel or tweaking polyfaces..those are then already set and not opted to tweak further in the same way.

Would LWCADs Profiler help you out?

Quote Originally Posted by raw-m View Post
    Would LWCADs Profiler help you out?
    nope...it doesnīt work that way, try out working with polylines and metaedges and edit them and you might see what I mean, profiler curve only works on single(i think) curves and you canīt deform the curve after you have dropped the tool and at the same time see the mesh update the way it works with polylines, with polylines and metaedges you get visual feedback while working on complex skelegon structure and the mesh fuses together with metamesh..even if I have multilimbs skelegon structure..lw cad profiler canīt do that.

And as I mentioned, by copy and pasting edges, one can select complex structure or a figure structure in seconds, you canīt do that either with lw cad.
    I will try and post a recording soon within some hours..got to visit my old dad first and have some chat.

TrueArt Support
    EasySpline doesn't need freezing, at least until Freeze Splines.
    See Extend Spline video tutorial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnjPNl4wVSs

Imagine you will make circle (using sphere in one viewport) (it will be profile). Convert it to spline. Then extend, and spline patches will appear... And you will have long spline cage with pipe.
    Similar to what you need?
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-25-2014 at 10:05 AM.

EasySpline has some fantastic tools, Sensei, but find it really hard to get my heard around a lot of them. I think yours sales would benefit hugely if you were to do a spoken commentary tutorial series. Workflow is hard to follow as they currently are, which is a shame as they deserve more exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    EasySpline doesn't need freezing, at least until Freeze Splines.
    See Extend Spline video tutorial
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnjPNl4wVSs

Imagine you will make circle (using sphere in one viewport) (it will be profile). Convert it to spline. Then extend, and spline patches will appear... And you will have long spline cage with pipe.
    Similar to what you need?
    No unfortunatly not sensei..easyspline seems great for other stuff, but I want to create polys from polylines in the same way as they are created with conversion to metaedges...except it shouldnīt make a mesh full of triangles and having to reduce it, it should simply make polytubes with much cleaner skin than what currently can be done with metaedges, and it also needs to fuse the tubes in the same manner metaedges blend together with points are intersecting. your tool is probably great for patching, but you canīt create a mesh from polylines the way I want it too.

This is the rough way of creating a mesh from polylines, I so wish the lightwave team to do something about metaballs and metaedges and implement a realtime adaptive skin..sort of like in zbrush, but it will be fine working on polylines as a starter..just get a realtime adaptive quad skinner so to speak, moving,dragging and extending points will help making the modeling process quite easy after that.

Michael

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by raw-m View Post
    I think yours sales would benefit hugely if you were to do a spoken commentary tutorial series.
    I don't think so, unless everybody will learn Polish in the meantime..
    You should have many girls around in London that should encourage you to do so..

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    No unfortunatly not sensei..easyspline seems great for other stuff, but I want to create polys from polylines in the same way as they are created with conversion to metaedges...except it shouldnīt make a mesh full of triangles and having to reduce it, it should simply make polytubes with much cleaner skin than what currently can be done with metaedges, and it also needs to fuse the tubes in the same manner metaedges blend together with points are intersecting.
    I have no idea why anyone want to work with metaballs and metaedges.. It's such a crap.
    Select 2 point poly, press Convert to Metaedge, it's made, then click Convert to Metaedge again (accidentally!) and it's converting AGAIN?! WTF?!

I can go on, and on, how badly they behave..

your tool is probably great for patching,
    Have you seen video?

Patching is in native LW.. Have to select points, and patch, and mesh is generated... And done. Nothing can be further done.

In EasySpline you can f.e. draw curve with Sketch, select it, Extrude Spline.. or Lathe Spline.. and there is real-time patch. It's life. Flying and updating while you're moving curve, or moving points on curve.. Like you said - life skin.

Suppose so you have mesh in bg layer. You draw couple curves on top of it. Then press Push tool to project points to that bg mesh geometry. Points are now "snapped to surface of bg layer". Then you connect end points on curves, and EasySpline is generating missing geometry (virtual for now), that's flowing like your bg layer mesh. (but that's example of retopology)

This is the rough way of creating a mesh from polylines, I so wish the lightwave team to do something about metaballs and metaedges and implement a realtime adaptive skin..
    First, they should fix them
    In 5 minutes of play I made them to completely not working.. Have to restart Modeler..

So your main problem is quality of generated by metaballs geometry?
    Why do you want to reduce points? It's XXI century. Planning to run it on mobile phone 3d real-time game?
    My chess game has 1 mln poly. And it's running >30 fps on my "ancient" gfx card.. IIRC >50 mln poly per second in test rendered.
    I wouldn't bother optimizing them. Figures have to look good, smooth.
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-25-2014 at 02:07 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast