Thread: Edit Geometry Lag in Modeler 11.6.3 Win 8.1

Edit Geometry Lag in Modeler 11.6.3 Win 8.1

I'm trying to figure out why I see so much lag in editing geometry. More than usual it seems. Not sure if it's a driver issue or settings.

Only 5K polys in a layer and when I try and move it takes 1-2 seconds before actually moving...I have tried all combinations of GL settings, buffered streaming etc...

Tried going in and adjusting Windows 3D settings. Anyone with a silver bullet? I know the geometry engine is older than dirt but it seems slower than normal now.

TrueArt Support
    5k of normal polygons is not the same as 5k of sub-patches (default 3 level - 45k), which is not the same as 5k of catmull-clark sub-patches (default 3 level - 320k)..

So, which do you have?

Do you have similar lag when working with single viewport and with quad viewports mode?
    What are modes of viewport(s)?
    You have to realize that not all viewport modes are optimized to new functions from OpenGL v2.0..
    Last edited by Sensei; 10-18-2014 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    5k of normal polygons is not the same as 5k of sub-patches (default 3 level - 45k), which is not the same as 5k of catmull-clark sub-patches (default 3 level - 320k)..

So, which do you have?

Do you have similar lag when working with single viewport and with quad viewports mode?
    What are modes of viewport(s)?
    You have to realize that not all viewport modes are optimized to new functions from OpenGL v2.0..
    Just 5K normal polys. I have tested at the house with a modest 550ti and i can edit and move around about 50K-100K without much lag to begin. There obviously is something going on with drivers or setup. I'll post if I figure it out. Dang...

What card has the issue? I'm betting its a 6xx, 7xx or 9xx. Your 5xx card handles viewport draw better because it's a Fermi chip. Later architectures were/are more severely crippled to separate them from Quadro versions, as the 5xx cards were nearly the same in performance.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

I think I had a problem a while back with VSync getting enabled when Modeler was run and it didn't like it, though I don't think the effects were as bad as that.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    What card has the issue? I'm betting its a 6xx, 7xx or 9xx. Your 5xx card handles viewport draw better because it's a Fermi chip. Later architectures were/are more severely crippled to separate them from Quadro versions, as the 5xx cards were nearly the same in performance.
    could be related, but it wasn't like this in Win 7. So unless the crippling is affected/more prevelant in Win 8.1 I don't think this is exactly it. However it wouldn't surprise me if it was related somehow.

Except for the CUDA cores and Media encoder and after effects I would much prefer an older card....as I didn't really see much difference in Modeler, as I expected. but the cuda cores in apps that use them are amazing! I just wish Modeler was in the 20th century....not even asking for the 21st century...lol. Just an old codeset compared to others....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    I think I had a problem a while back with VSync getting enabled when Modeler was run and it didn't like it, though I don't think the effects were as bad as that.
    Yea I know about the VSync issue, although I will double check that, certainly could be that I missed it when I glanced over things....thanks!

Yeah, you'd be lucky if that's all it was, probably not so simple but you never know. I think I made a profile explicitly for Modeler.exe to make sure it wasn't using any auto-settings. Probably won't change anything, but can't hurt to try.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by tcoursey View Post
    could be related, but it wasn't like this in Win 7. So unless the crippling is affected/more prevelant in Win 8.1 I don't think this is exactly it. However it wouldn't surprise me if it was related somehow.
    Crippling the GPU chip and its underlying components has nothing to do with the OS that it's running under. It's done on the card by closing/opening traces that enable advanced features. People have successfully modded their cards to re-enable them. Driver version makes a huge difference, though. If you're running on ones that Win 8 installed, check for more recent versions.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain